Is the Excal all everyone says it is?

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Love my Excals, with the WOT coil I spliced on it I get great depth, I have pull up targets at 16" + on more then a few occasions..................I love it when people run their Excals with discrimination, it means they are skipping over gold.
How big of gold are we talking about here?
I keep mine on 2, not because I know, but because that is what someone suggested to me... I often get good signals that are too small for my 1/2 inch holes... I figure maybe a post of something.. But do I really want to dig signals of stuff smaller than what I already cant keep in my scoop? Are you saying that it should be as far counter clockwise as one can turn it, or are you saying that it should be ran in pinpoint mode all the time??

The 20 or so times that it happened to me, something that just kept slipping through the holes it turned out each time to be a dang grommet.

As a side note, I found a white gold ring last year that I didn't hear on disc mode, only in pinpoint. It wasn't deep, maybe only about two inches down. I only dug it because I hadn't dug anything else that day. When I went up to the dry sand I placed the ring down and scanned in disc mode and it was loud and clear....I know one of those unexplainable events.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Love my Excals, with the WOT coil I spliced on it I get great depth, I have pull up targets at 16" + on more then a few occassions..................I love it when people run their Excals with discrimination, it means they are skipping over gold.
I keep mine on 2, not because I know, but because that is what someone suggested to me... I often get good signals that are too small for my 1/2 inch holes... I figure maybe a post of something.. But do I really want to dig signals of stuff smaller than what I already cant keep in my scoop? Are you saying that it should be as far counter clockwise as one can turn it, or are you saying that it should be ran in pinpoint mode all the time??

I use no descrimination at all. I do hunt in pinpoint (all metal) on occasion, but not usually. On my scoop, I added additional screening on the bottom cornor third of the scoop. I used the same aluminum screen you use to cover your gutters with. It is small enough to catch earring studs. If I notice something slipping through my scoop, I rescoop it and make sure scoop is tilted so it drains through the smaller screen......... I have found 2 gold earring studs with scoop so far using the screen, both 14K, I havent had a chance to test the stones to see if they are diamonds yet. :dontknow:

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
my favorite scoop "EVROEXCAVATOR" with holes 12,7 mm x 14mm (1 / 2 ")
for small finds when flying in a tight-fisted carrying a shield made of plastic mesh fine ... but I use very rarely.
productivity is very large, and in the water, and dry sand.
Today a little hunt ... :)

Attachments

• 18.07.2010.JPG
    18.07.2010.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 711

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Treasure_Hunter said:
Silver Surfer said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Love my Excals, with the WOT coil I spliced on it I get great depth, I have pull up targets at 16" + on more then a few occassions..................I love it when people run their Excals with discrimination, it means they are skipping over gold.

I use no descrimination at all. I do hunt in pinpoint (all metal) on occasion, but not usually. On my scoop, I added additional screening on the bottom cornor third of the scoop. I used the same aluminum screen you use to cover your gutters with. It is small enough to catch earring studs. If I notice something slipping through my scoop, I rescoop it and make sure scoop is tilted so it drains through the smaller screen......... I have found 2 gold earring studs with scoop so far using the screen, both 14K, I havent had a chance to test the stones to see if they are diamonds yet. :dontknow:

Wait, when you say you use no discrimination at all and that you use pinpoint on occassion, are you talking about the same thing?
What exactly do you mean saying no discrimination, isn't that running it in PP, or is it running at 1 ??? I have sensitivity at auto,discriminate at 1 and am sure I need to change it for Galveston beaches.

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
I use:
Discrimination 1.
maximum sensitivity, but not automatic.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SYKO, When you run it in disc or 1 and in Pinpoint (All Metal) the disc setting makes no difference. I usually run mine in Auto where I hunt with disc at 1 but never use the PP. Lately however the Excal sits in the house and I take the CZ-20. Sorry Cotton, I won't sell it. The same goes for my Tiger Shark. I am not sure the CZ-21 has the same guts as the 20. The same can be said for the Excal II. Mine is the Excal 1000 with the blue headphones, but I run a 1650 ah NIMH pak.

If I were a mite younger I would be swinging an Eric Foster Aquastar with a large Mono coil on those coastal beaches. Florida sand has hardly any minerals and PI's reach great depths there to find the gold that sinks in the sand.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the water, I also hunt with a PI, I have used a few excalls, and while they do null on iron, where I hunt there isn't much. Bobby pins are pretty easy to tell, I managed 5 rings this weekend with mine... but I didn't have to deal with much iron. The key thing I believe makes the difference is the hunter. Ya need to be able to get it out of the ground and move on as fast as ya can... its a game of odds. Oh and buy 2 since if one goes in the shop you'll have one to use due to their long wait times.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SYKO said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Silver Surfer said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

Wait, when you say you use no discrimination at all and that you use pinpoint on occassion, are you talking about the same thing?
What exactly do you mean saying no discrimination, isn't that running it in PP, or is it running at 1 ??? I have sensitivity at auto,discriminate at 1 and am sure I need to change it for Galveston beaches.

I run it in discrimination mode, with discrimination set to 1 (lowest setting possible) which is basically no discrimination... If you switch to pinpoint your in all metal, the discrimination knob no longer matters, since your now hunting in all metal mode.

I adjust the sensitivity for the current conditions, I start off in auto, but I do adjust it to stablize the detector. On most beaches I hunt it is usually set any where between 11-1 o'clock position on the dial. ( I have the old version Excal) I have seen next to no difference between running it in auto and set to the 1-3 o'clock position, I have pulled up nice targets at 14-16 inches many times when sensitivity was set to the 3 o'clock position....

I have spliced a WOT coil on my Excal, it goes a LOT deeper then the stock 8" or 10" coil.....I also spliced on a nice new set of Team OrcaSound headphones that "The Buligarian" sells, love the headphones too...... :icon_thumright:

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Gotcha, got confused figuring out that you meant disc set at 1 means basically no discrimination. I knew PP would pickup everything
including iron, I don't use that, sometimes when I'm messing around in my yard.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

OP
OP
UNCLENICK

UNCLENICK

Dec 8, 2009
NorCal Foothills
I'm most likley going to get the Sandshark...I can deal with digging all targets in water/beach...not on land though. It would be wise, I think to dig all, on the beach, water anyway...would'nt most of you agree??? If your digging/scooping everything, what could you miss??? Thank you for the advice...its nice for everyone to give their opinion, and still get along...Thats rare in this world today... Thank you all, HH

Nick

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're making a good choice, honestly to find the good stuff you have to dig it all. Good luck.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Silver Surfer said:
bigscoop said:
If you want a first hand demonstration as to why so many swear by the Excalls, borrow an Excall and place a few coins or a gold or silver ring on a large piece of iron and try to accomplish a clear target tone with anything else.
Oh come now Bigscoop.... Now really, just how many times is that scenario going to happen??? My lord.. A PI person can just as easy say "Just go to a beach that has been sanded in, and try to find that gold ring at 18" with a VLF machine"...
I suppose that if money werent an issue, and someone only wanted one machine, I would have to vote for an Excal... BUT... People find plenty of gold with an ACE 250, and I just dont think the Excal deserves this almost insane reputation... Mine found plenty of gold in it's short life, but my MXT has found a load of gold too... Even on the beach... I see one (Excal II) on ebay right now that is almost 6 months old, no warranty transfer, and it is sitting at $1100 with 4 hrs left... A new one is $1198 and free shipping on ebay.. Tell me that is not insane??
It really comes down to people losing stuff, and anyone with a detector being in the right spot at the right time.. Albeit, there are extraordinary situations that come up, such as what you describe, but most of the time, gold is lost, then it is found by a lucky detector..
I am very glad to be having both a VLF and a PI machine... The best of both worlds..
I could be wrong, but I believe that Excalibur was modified with a straight shaft, an extra battery pod and a few other goodies. So $1100 for a used Excalibur II with all the goodies it has is not out of the norm.

You may not think it deserves the reputation....and you could be right.....but you also could be wrong. I have owned many detectors over the years and the Excalibur II 1000 with the WOT coil is one hot setup. One of the best set ups that I have ever owned.

I've more than paid for my machine and coil in the first week I had it with six gold rings found. One was down in the wet sand at almost 20 inches. What a pain in the butt digging in wet sand that deep. But it was worth it as it was a men's large gold 18K ring.....I got $650 for it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
bigscoop said:
If you want a first hand demonstration as to why so many swear by the Excalls, borrow an Excall and place a few coins or a gold or silver ring on a large piece of iron and try to accomplish a clear target tone with anything else.
Oh come now Bigscoop.... Now really, just how many times is that scenario going to happen??? My lord..

How many times does it have to happen to pay for itself, it only has to happen once!.....I found a gold ring that nulled, but then gave me a good tone when I sweap it from a different angle, it turned out it was a gold wedding ring, could have just as easily been a very valuable diamond ring......... Some beaches have very little iron and it does not matter as much, other beaches are full of iron and it is a major advantage....

I hunt using the WOT coil on my Excal, I have pulled up targets over 14+ inches using it....It goes deep. I have hunted with 3 different partners who switched from PI to Excal because of the times I would walk over to where they were digging and sweap their target and told them it was iron, but they insisted on still digging it.....I was right, or rather the Excal was correct....

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

I have a Sandshark and Excalibur. I grab the Excal 99% of the time. The PI detectors have their place. Hunting with the 24/7 isnt it. Needs to be a certain day and place where the sand is nice and open and you need to get those extra inches in. Both detectors are nice but the Excal will always be the beach machine chosen by the masters!

CB

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I started water detecting before there were water detectors available. I float mounted a Garrett ADS and bought a 3 inch coil with a 9 foot co-ax cable mounted on a long shaft. I hunted like that for a few years until I acquired my White's Amphibian which didn't look anything like the ones used today. It was only waterproof to 6 feet. I graduated finally to a Fisher 1280X and fooled with the False signals that saltwater gave for a few years. Then in 1990, a dealer showed me the NEW Excalibur and like Sandman said place a nail and gold ring together and pass it under your current detector and both will be discriminated. Excalibur ignores iron but hits solid on the gold. I've owned it since 1990 and has been rebuilt a few times that only the shaft is the original part,:laughing7:. The Fisher 1280X belongs to someone else.
I do own a back up called a Garrett AT3 and I wish Garrett still made them. It is a rugged little machine and even though its over 20 years old still pops the coins out of the sand. :thumbsup:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UNCLENICK said:
I'm most likley going to get the Sandshark...I can deal with digging all targets in water/beach...not on land though. It would be wise, I think to dig all, on the beach, water anyway...would'nt most of you agree??? If your digging/scooping everything, what could you miss??? Thank you for the advice...its nice for everyone to give their opinion, and still get along...Thats rare in this world today... Thank you all, HH

Nick

Now if Tesoro would get off their backside, stop the endless delays and start making the darned things again. Sure, I want them to do it right, but they've been saying "we're close" for nearly a year now.

Tesoro: Stop teasing us! If you're not close, just say so.

Personally, I'm a little spooked by the new Excals. Those with the 1000 series seem to love them, but the newer generation seem to be having a lot of problems and trips back to manufacturer. And personally, I can't afford two beach machines in order to have a backup. I need my machine to work. Take a look at the other posts on the Excals. People really like them...when they work.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
UNCLENICK said:

Nick

Now if Tesoro would get off their backside, stop the endless delays and start making the darned things again. Sure, I want them to do it right, but they've been saying "we're close" for nearly a year now.

Personally, I'm a little spooked by the new Excals. Those with the 1000 series seem to love them, but the newer generation seem to be having a lot of problems and trips back to manufacturer. And personally, I can't afford two beach machines in order to have a backup. I need my machine to work. Take a look at the other posts on the Excals. People really like them...when they work.

You can buy 2 good used Excal 1000s for the price of a new Excal II....Warranty on Excal II is only good for a year, why not look for a good used 1000..... :icon_thumright:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Smudge said:
UNCLENICK said:

Nick

You can buy 2 good used Excal 1000s for the price of a new Excal II....Warranty on Excal II is only good for a year, why not look for a good used 1000..... :icon_thumright:

That's a decent idea, if you can find one that hasn't been used to death. I wish Minelab would go back to making the 1000's again, with the same level of quality. I know its a pipe dream, but still.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought 3 used, everyone worked perfectly, I could have bought 2 this past month if I was interested, but I have 2 excals now....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread