my satellite beach vacation.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vacation over...... no success in my quest for gold!! i hunted daytona, cocoa, satellite beach, Melbourne and a few others in-between. most hunts were at high tide, i did hit low tide at cocoa beach and that's were the most serious hunting took place, found a coin line by griding from high tide mark but could not find a line of any "heavy" items.
talked to a couple other hunters and they weren't doing to great either. managed a few bucks in coins including a 1957 french coin 25 ptas and a 1967 20 cents Singapore coin. most coins were American quarters and dimes. one thing i tried was, at high tide i counted my steps and walked from high tide line out to about waist deep water, where most people were "playing"( about 50 paces) and then did the same at low tide, then hunted that line from ron jons to the pier. nothing found in that area! coin line was about 15 to 20 paces from high tide line. almost no trash/pull tabs found at all. other attempts were made during high tide in the water but were unproductive and difficult due to the waves, had one item gold/foil signal at about chest deep but could not recover it due to the waves knocking me off the target. all coins were clean/bright and don't seem like old drops.
excal had problems with going crazy when going in, coming out of, or being partially submerged in the water....is this normal? it is doing the same thing here at home in freshwater and i cant adjust it out using sens. calms down and is usable in pinpoint!!!!
i like the coverage provided by my new 10 by 12 sef coil but it is to big for use in the surf or if any current is present. works great and is not to large for freshwater and would be fine on fla west coast.

chuck

Upvote 0

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have had issues with Excalibur on some Florida beaches. On dry and wet sand it is always stable. But on some beaches when in the water, even with minimum sensitivity, I get a lot of false signals. In a few weeks I go on a vacation to Grand Cayman, where I definitely want to bring it along, but once I return I am going to contact Minelab and possibly send it in for work. My suspicion is that the sensitivity is too hot and needs to be calibrated down.

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
Hi Tony,
I was in Grand Cayman this last May and it was my only stop I did not get to detect at. Spent the day shopping with the wife instead.

Anyway, I don't know if you have a place in mind to hunt, but my suggestion would be 7 mile beach.

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BareBones said:
Hi Tony,
I was in Grand Cayman this last May and it was my only stop I did not get to detect at. Spent the day shopping with the wife instead.

Anyway, I don't know if you have a place in mind to hunt, but my suggestion would be 7 mile beach.

Thanks for the suggestion. 7 mine beach is definitely on my list. :icon_pirat: I am actually staying at the other end of the island at Morritt's Timeshare Resort. That part of the island has less resorts but the ones that are there likely provide a more defined beach area making for a focused hunt. Stingray City (sandbar off the coast loaded with friendly stingrays), where tons of tourists are brought to frolic with stingrays, might prove interesting as well. I am there for a few weeks so I am looking forward to some good hunting and scuba diving.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if anyone else is having that problem with their Minelab Excalibur on Florida beaches?

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been slo here on the east coast. I borrowed one and hunted an area ya described with a 12 in on it and worked fine... :thumbsup:

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
Tony in FL said:
BareBones said:
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the suggestion. 7 mine beach is definitely on my list. :icon_pirat: I am actually staying at the other end of the island at Morritt's Timeshare Resort. That part of the island has less resorts but the ones that are there likely provide a more defined beach area making for a focused hunt. Stingray City (sandbar off the coast loaded with friendly stingrays), where tons of tourists are brought to frolic with stingrays, might prove interesting as well. I am there for a few weeks so I am looking forward to some good hunting and scuba diving.

Yeah, Sting Ray city is a big tourist draw and surely worth a look. I think it is a tour kind of thing so I don't know how you would wrangle the detector there. The day my ship was in port, the seas were a little rough and I heard that they actually canceled the Sting Ray city tour.

Here is an odd bit of coincidence. I found a coin from Grand Cayman today in South Florida in the water. 2002 coin looks like a quarter with 25 on it. I know the Cayman money is worth more then the USD.

Speaking of which, here is a bit of news that may save you a buck or two if you are going to use your credit card while you are on the Island. I got home and when I got my bill I had some extra charges on my credit card statement for overseas charges. I found out that some cards do this and some don't. So you might want to check your cards. I now know that Capital One does not have this charge and it's a card that was in my wallet at the time. Had I known I could have saved a few dollars just by using a different credit card. Just food for thought.

Have a great trip and bring home some GOLD!

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BareBones said:
Yeah, Sting Ray city is a big tourist draw and surely worth a look. I think it is a tour kind of thing so I don't know how you would wrangle the detector there. The day my ship was in port, the seas were a little rough and I heard that they actually canceled the Sting Ray city tour.

Here is an odd bit of coincidence. I found a coin from Grand Cayman today in South Florida in the water. 2002 coin looks like a quarter with 25 on it. I know the Cayman money is worth more then the USD.

Speaking of which, here is a bit of news that may save you a buck or two if you are going to use your credit card while you are on the Island. I got home and when I got my bill I had some extra charges on my credit card statement for overseas charges. I found out that some cards do this and some don't. So you might want to check your cards. I now know that Capital One does not have this charge and it's a card that was in my wallet at the time. Had I known I could have saved a few dollars just by using a different credit card. Just food for thought.

Have a great trip and bring home some GOLD!

Funny you should suggest Capital One. I just signed up for one of their cards about a week ago because the last time I was in Grand Cayman I got blasted by those extra charges! :hello2:

JedinNC

Jul 7, 2009
Topsail Island/Raleigh, N.C.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II , Nokta Legend, Equinox 600, Excal II, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's M6
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Tony,
Save me some loot in Cayman, I'll be there for a couple of weeks with the Excal II in a month or so!

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker,

I've had the same problem with my excal a few times:

- some times when it happends I just tighten the battery connector a little bit and it stops

- other times when I can't get it to stop the craziness I either move the threshold over even more to the left (far from any hum) or I move the other knob to pinpoint mode, later when I get a signal I move back to disc to see if the signal is something good....pinpoint mode seems to make it a little more sensitive when you are moving slower in neckdeep water (at least my opinion).

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JP said:
seeker,

I've had the same problem with my excal a few times:

- some times when it happends I just tighten the battery connector a little bit and it stops

- other times when I can't get it to stop the craziness I either move the threshold over even more to the left (far from any hum) or I move the other knob to pinpoint mode, later when I get a signal I move back to disc to see if the signal is something good....pinpoint mode seems to make it a little more sensitive when you are moving slower in neckdeep water (at least my opinion).

thanks jp, i forgot to say that i could hunt/get it to calm down by switching to pinpoint mode!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread