My sad story

RustyNail

Greenie
Sep 26, 2004
Oh drat.

Here is my sad story.

I stumbled across what I considered a great buy on a used Tesoro SandShark. I scooped it up, so to speak and it arrived yesterday afternoon. I was on the beach with it before sundown. My wife came with me, the sweetie. And wouldn't ya know that she hit "treasure" right away: a 926 very pretty bracelet of interconnected dolphins. Terrific shape and it fits her beautifully.

This morning, at the crack of daylight, I hit the beach again (before work) and found a few clad (27 cents) and a 10 franc piece (from France) that polished up beautifully at home. I'm at least 4000 miles from France. I have no idea what the thing is doing here.

OK, so this isn't sad, right? Correct. Now comes the sad part...

This evening, as soon as I got out of work, I dashed off to the beach once again. I turn on the SandShark and it immediately starts acting up. It is registering hit after hit after hit in mid-air. I'm in VCO mode at this point. The machine is pinging again and again really loudly (in my headphones). I try lowering the volume and it does make it less intense but it's still obviously not right and not at all like it was behaving on the 2 previous outtings.

I fiddle with volume, threshold, mode (switching between the SandShark's 2 operating modes, plus the "f set" mode). It seemed like the dials did make some changes to the tone/pulse I was getting but it still seemed like ping after ping randomly.

Then, suddenly, the unit dropped into a state where it now emits a steady hum with none of the sort of random background waves that I would expect from a PI.

I took the unit home at this point and carefully brushed away all sand. When it was all clean and I had proper lighting, etc., I opened the sealed inner chamber. I'm sure the battery pack is operating well. I'm sure the headphones are fine. The dials do seem to impact the circuitry but the unit absolutely fails to detect any metal.

And, as I said, the unit has a steady hum when turned on, now. Here's a really weird clue. If I unplug the coil cable from where it plugs into the box that has the power pack, etc., and turn the unit on it then makes the sort of wavy humming (in VCO mode) that I heard when it was all working properly! Of course, the coil isn't connected so the detector doesn't actually detect metal at this point but it is interesting that when the coil is connected the unit makes a very, very steady hum but when the coil is disconnected the hum wavers in the random way that the unit did before it broke down.

The plug that connects the cable from the coil into the main box seems entirely fine. No problems. The cable itself seems fine. The coil seems intact with no obvious cracks or bruises, chips, etc. It really looks mint and has the original Tesoro labels.

Unplugging and replugging things doesn't help. Jiggling things doesn't help or make any difference. There is no water or any sign of corrosion anywhere inside the unit or out. I really looked carefully. Nothing seems broken or compromised in any visual way. Nothing seems burnt out, though I can't see the most inner circuitry because Tesoro has sealed some of the boards inside housing.

Any ideas? At this point the only option I can think of isn't appealing: send the until into Tesoro. I contacted the nearly "gold star" Tesoro dealer and said I should send it back to Tesoro directly or try to return it to the seller on eBay. Frankly, I don't blame the seller. It worked for 24 hours and it was sold as-is. My fear is that some 2-cent capacitor or something silly like that has burnt out because I started using the unit after the original owner had kept it in some closet unused for years.

If anyone has any concrete suggestions on how to "debug" this, I'd like to know. But I'm reluctant to take the unit apart any further than I did. At this point I haven't done any further damage in my explorations and I want to keep it that way.

THANKS.

Reference:
http://www.tesoro.com/Manuals/SandShark_Manual.htm

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a Fisher CZ-20 that works well sometimes, and other times gives me false signals like crazy. When it does that, sometimes turning it off and on will correct the problem (temporarily), or sometimes I have to wiggle the cable. The unit is designed to have the box resting on the handle, but it can be removed and slipped on a belt mount. The wire itself is faulty inside the cable just at the junction where it leads into the box. That's usually a weak point and the first place you start to get crossed wires shorting out. If you put your machine back together and wiggle the cable just near where it goes into the box, what happens? If you can determine that's where your problem is, you might be able to splice the wire and correct the problem. (I won't do that on my CZ because of the lifetime warranty. Since mine is a waterproof unit, I can't access anything on it and will probably have to send it in to the factory.)

OP
OP
R

RustyNail

Greenie
Sep 26, 2004
Thanks for the suggestion but I dont think that's the problem... well, at least the suggested "wiggle test" didn't change the symptoms at all. I tried manipulating both ends of the coil cable (where it goes into the coil and where it goes into the box). Neither made any difference at all. There is absolutely no external sign that the cable has been compromised though I definitely understand that wires can be broken and even shorted within the outter sheath around the cable.

Other ideas?

OP
OP
R

RustyNail

Greenie
Sep 26, 2004
I decided not to press my luck any further. I boxed the unit up and am going to ship it back to Tesoro in AZ for repairs. I've screwed up wayyyyyyy too many electronic devices by poking at them longer than I should have. Hee hee.

Thanks for the ideas, anyway.

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will find that Tesoro is a great company to deal with and your machine will be better than new when they send it back because they update them to what ever is current. If it is something wrong with it that was a factory defect rather than a user caused problem I doubt that they will even charge you. I used to live at Stanton ,AZ and I took a used Lobo in trade for gold and it had an intermitten short. I drove up to Prescot and walked in the front door with it and plainly told them that it was 2nd or 3rd hand, they gave me a tour and then a seat and refreshments, we talked and a dew minutes later the tech brought the Lobo back out and said it was fixed and he had updated the circuts also, then I was told no charge, it was a "Cold"solder joint problem and they stand behind their machines 100%. I do not buy any other brand now. PS They can not fix one that has been ran over with a 4wd truck!!

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally i think you did the best thing. Even if there is a charge you will make it back when you start nailing the good stuff. Time to stop pissin in the wind and get back to the beach 8)

OP
OP
R

RustyNail

Greenie
Sep 26, 2004
Thanks. I appreciate the confirmation. I also found this posting:

http://cadetecting.proboards4.com/index.cgi?board=OffTopic&action=display&num=1094770303

Wow. Now I'm actually kind of excited to see what happens. The box is winging its way off to Prescot right now. Should get to them on Wednesday. I included a note and told them to charge me whatever they think is fair. I've only heard positive things about those folks so I'm optomistic about what may happen now.

I'll let you know what happens. ;D

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Indeed let us know. I've heard good things about them as well and I may buy a Tiger Shark next year. I like my Minelabs but I think, in the water, simple is better. Good luck & HH! Chris

D

Dirtypaws

Getting a Cortes next week! Because of their excellent return and repair policy among other things ;D

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for dry,Fisher 1280X for wet........
???Is there a chance you got water into the coil?I had a Hot Head coil on my Garrett--got water into it;never worked right after that with that coil. ???

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Tesoro is the absolute best in customer support, even if you aren't the orignal owner. So long as the damage wasn't caused by abuse, they fix er up and send it back sometimes better then new. I'll keep using the one I got until they come out with a Tejon based VID, then I am getting that one !

I have no idea why people buy other brands. Tesoro has top performing detectors and the best customer support anyone could ask for. Made in AMERICA baby!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions