Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit the beaches last nite, well, low and behold I got my first chance to do a good deed, a frantic woman, was standing by a sandcastle, she was lifting her shirt off to go into the water, she heard it coming off as she was taking the shirt off..her almost 1/2 kt diamond earring ( post type, but she caught the backing as it fell out) so, I asked her to please take her other earring out.. I tried every setting, even no disc. I couldnt get one single reading on it.. what did I do wrong? or cant the xcal pick up that tiny amount of gold on her setting? I failed.. her hubby tried to give me money and I refused it.. but it sure woulda been great had I found it.. what I do not understand is, I will find tons of copper itsy bitsy round dots..but couldnt find her earring.. so did I do something wrong.

Upvote 0

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad it couldn't get found. My woman has a few white-gold and/or platinum earings (horshoes w/stones, few hundred buck variety)that are prettymuch e-trac, excal and F70 proof. Not sure if a smaller coil will hit them better or not? My F70 w/ the smaller stock coil would kinda hit a couple of them, maybe faintly out to 2 inches or so, the display actually showed negative numbers occasionally on one (didn't know it had a negative sign to display!). I have a 14kt gold ring that is detectorproof, due to it having a slice in it (recently learned this, fairly sure I chopped it w/scoop?), push the slice so both ends touch and it is detectable, let the ends open up and it is not. Maybe shape somehow affects this? Weird, because sometimes it's amazing how a tiny, and I mean a tiny target will ring almost boldly with the excal in the water!

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this earring with my Excalibur in about waist deep water. It gave out a good signal but the post was .925 silver as opposed to gold.

Attachments

• 07_14_10 finds06.JPG
    07_14_10 finds06.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 251
  • 07_14_10 finds06.JPG
    07_14_10 finds06.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 249

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes just the shape of the target makes them harder to detect. I have found earring backs galore, and it might be because they are flat.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found several stud earrings, 2 tested good for gold and diamond, 2 more were silver and the others were clad. Excal found all of them..........

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you check it in AM/Pinpoint? Just a idea................joe

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, I tried everything, even tried to set my machine to the one earring she had left, minus the backing..as thats how the earring was lost.. frustrating that I couldnt find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread