Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been out on the beaches the last 2 or 3 nights, heat was just too much during the day for me.. so last night, Hubby went with me..( yes, I was super shocked ) he used the ace 250, I gave him a 5 min. run down on how to use it.. so off we go, I see him digging..and putting stuff in his pouch, so again I thought ahh good hes finding stuff.. every few minutes, I would glance up and look for him, as I was either in the wet sands or shallow waters, so I see this lady approach him, then I see Bill, going back with the woman, I figured she lost a ring, so I thought let him find it.. will be good for him to do it.. next thing I know is he comes up to me and says, will you come over and help this lady, shes very very upset.. so off I go, she tells me what happened, shes standing by a good sized sand castle n proceeds to tell me that she was taking her tee shirt off to go into the water and she felt her diamond earring come off.. she caught the backing but the diamond went flying..so I tried to find it... no go, I asked her to take the other earring off so I could see if I could set my xcal to pick it up.. NO GO.. we spent two hrs. trying to find that earring.. there was very very little gold on this earring, but the darn diamond was almost 1/2 kt.. still no luck.. I just wish I coulda found it.. I know she was super upset, I looked round for others with detectors..didnt see anyone.. I even wondered if my explorer xs would of found it ( which that machine was at home ..go figure) either way, by now that earring is long gone as the sand castle was right on the edge of the wet sands and high tide will take it all away.. I just felt like I failed, yes, I know the xcal cant pick up something that small..but heck, it sure picks up just as small pcs. of copper.. but it was a no go for her. Her hubby tried to pay us.. but we refused.. it wasnt right to take that anyways. so her hubby said good karma will come our way ( I thought ohhhhh thank GOD I sure can use it..) so thats my one and only recovery that I didnt find.. and yet I still feel like I failed.. even tried just picking up handfulls and checking with my hands.. nothing..still thou, felt good to try..

Upvote 0

Coil to Soil

Mar 30, 2010
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Sounds to me like you gave it a great effort, certainly doesn't seem to me like you failed. I'm sure she really appreciated the fact that you gave it an honest attempt. Don't feel bad, I think you gave it your all, I think too that you were a good ambassador of our hobby and that will also be remembered. :icon_thumleft:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A wise old TNET member once told me .....you cant find it if your coil isnt over it .....so you didnt fail ....you went out of your way to help (good karma) you tried your hardest to find it (real good Karma ) an even tho you didnt find it you refused to take money offered for helping look for it (great karma with the bonus of big points on image for the hobby :icon_thumleft:)

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
well you tried!! those studs are tough to find. my club tried to find one for a lady and none of us could pick up the mate either.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Please don't feel bad. You definitely gave it your best shot. Those tiny earrings are hard to find in the best of circumstances. You tired. If it makes you feel any better out of the 4 times I've been asked to find a specific item I have only found it once. The other times..... I failed! :wink:

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Smaller Coils find smaller things but are less likely to go over it.
I hear the Sniper coil for your ACE250 is great for this as well as trashy areas.
I know my Dual Field is super sensitive and found very, very small pieces of stuff.

If my work ever slows down I could help you out. I was just out in Cape May.

C

Cappy Z.

...you're an angel..compared to me...Ten minutes..and I would have said.."gotta cold beer.."

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
You certainly didn't fail, at least you tried, you gave it your best shot and it just didn't happen. No fault of yours. Hey, sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield. Maybe next time ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
remember the spot , maybe later it will "pop" up --it happens

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
I agree that you didn't fail! It's the effort that counts and 2 hours is GREAT. You definitely get an Atta Girl!

I have a similar story with my PI. When I tried to pick up the thin gold foil earring NOT a peep from my PI. ???

I went back to my car and got my F-4. I gave it about 45 minutes (my limit) and it wasn't where they said.

HH Joe

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has happened to me twice one lady lost her wedding ring in a huge school yard but couldn't remember exactly where and another lady lost her wedding ring at a beach on the bay but did not know if it was lost in the water or the sand ? i have tried many times but no luck so far you gave it your best shot :thumbsup: Dd60

turnerscc

Aug 20, 2007
Bluffdale, UT.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Fisher F2, Vibra Probe
Bootybay said:
I been out on the beaches the last 2 or 3 nights, heat was just too much during the day for me.. so last night, Hubby went with me..( yes, I was super shocked ) he used the ace 250, I gave him a 5 min. run down on how to use it.. so off we go, I see him digging..and putting stuff in his pouch, so again I thought ahh good hes finding stuff.. every few minutes, I would glance up and look for him, as I was either in the wet sands or shallow waters, so I see this lady approach him, then I see Bill, going back with the woman, I figured she lost a ring, so I thought let him find it.. will be good for him to do it.. next thing I know is he comes up to me and says, will you come over and help this lady, shes very very upset.. so off I go, she tells me what happened, shes standing by a good sized sand castle n proceeds to tell me that she was taking her tee shirt off to go into the water and she felt her diamond earring come off.. she caught the backing but the diamond went flying..so I tried to find it... no go, I asked her to take the other earring off so I could see if I could set my xcal to pick it up.. NO GO.. we spent two hrs. trying to find that earring.. there was very very little gold on this earring, but the darn diamond was almost 1/2 kt.. still no luck.. I just wish I coulda found it.. I know she was super upset, I looked round for others with detectors..didnt see anyone.. I even wondered if my explorer xs would of found it ( which that machine was at home ..go figure) either way, by now that earring is long gone as the sand castle was right on the edge of the wet sands and high tide will take it all away.. I just felt like I failed, yes, I know the xcal cant pick up something that small..but heck, it sure picks up just as small pcs. of copper.. but it was a no go for her. Her hubby tried to pay us.. but we refused.. it wasnt right to take that anyways. so her hubby said good karma will come our way ( I thought ohhhhh thank GOD I sure can use it..) so thats my one and only recovery that I didnt find.. and yet I still feel like I failed.. even tried just picking up handfulls and checking with my hands.. nothing..still thou, felt good to try..

Don't worry, the one and only time someone has approached me I failed as well.... Couldn't find the darn ring anywhere. She was transporting people back and forth from the beach on a jet ski and said it fell off near the shore, I looked all over that area, it must have been in the deeper water.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to go back to the spot with the explorer xs.. am sure that if is in the area she said, that my explorer will pick it up.. I just have to wear the harness when using that machine.. it just seems double heavier then the xcal..

Although I expect the high tide to of taken it out to sea, I will just give it one more shot at finding it for her.. I have her number just in case.. so thank you all.. I did say to her, dang couldnt ya of lost your ring, that I coulda found..lol.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its called "treasure hunting" for a reason --even if you think you know just about where its was lost theres not a 100% for sure chance your going to find it :wink:

D

digum smacks

you didnt fail your machine failed excal wasnt up for the task

excal/pirate

Jan 28, 2009
snooksion2 said:
you didnt fail your machine failed excal wasnt up for the task
your machine didt fail it wasnt designed to pick up that small of piece the only machines that will are ones with a 1875 coil they find those items small chains ect oh and trust me the excal gets the job done when it comes to finding gold it does for me :tongue3:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Booty, you did fine, you tried very hard, if you would have turned your back on her and walked away when she asked, that would have been failing.......It is nice that You and all the other {Pirate} ladies here on the B & SW forum add to the pleasure of sharing experences of this great hobby........thank you.......joe

By the way I have had about 6 chances to help in the 4+ years I've been in the water, and only had luck once.....

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the xcal cant pick it up..but I so wanted to find it for her... next time will use the beast.. the xs..

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
You did not fail.... We all know the excal is not that great on small targets, My question is .. Did you try all metal? Some times the "lost" item is not lost where the person thinks it was.
All you can do is give it a try.. HH Gayle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread