First gold ring.

A

abrakdabra

Third time ever detecting on a beach (did lots of forest/mountains last Spring) and found my first gold ring. It's a pinkie ring with a diamond in it. There happened to be some Korean kids around me at the time when I was shaking the scoop and saw the gold diamond ring. So they were pumped (I was about to tell them to scoot :)). I was so perked by this I stayed after dark, so five hours straight starting at 3pm.
A poster on here had mentioned, I think it was Labrat, liking night detecting. It calms so much, the vibe of the beach. So I continued and pulled up more corroded quarters, nails, bottle caps with regularity, every fifteen feet there was a hit with one of these items.
Is someone going to give me a medal? ;D ;)

Upvote 0

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No medal, just a simple congrats, and now...you got the fever. :D

OP
OP
A

abrakdabra

I've never found anything made of gold. I put up a question on the board re; using a Fisher 1270 on the beach and someone in Hawaii emailed and said it works very well in the dry sand, and that he'd recently found a gold ring. And I was like grrrr.
So I'd forgotten all about 'gold rings' (except the 'gold bug' was steadily infesting my subconscious) pocketing corroded coins, nails, bottle tops. There were a lot of 100 won coins (the Korean equivalent of 20 U.S. cents, about). A lot. I'd heard that guys do this 1.5km beach in the mornings. If so were they using a split willow branch? :) Five of them were resting on the sand. They're all corroded green/red. One coin was a bright, shiny, new Chinese coin which was kind of cool. A tourist visiting Korea's most famous beach, makes sense.
After I found the gold ring with the diamond in it I 'got serious'. I looked where I'd been and it looked like 'gopherville'. :) I'm a good, responsible dectector and kick the sand in but the cool, wet lower sand left visible.
A guy who seemed to be asking for change came up and 'visited' three times. Nice guy. And another local character, a squat, friendly, energetic woman selling beach mats held up her hand, indicated the gold rings, and asked had I found any 'kumm'(gold). I lied and said no, going 'undercover' :).
Five hours straight. Tomorrow I'll feel like I did last weekend the day after beach detecting. Like I'd been through hours of a Jane Fonda workout video :). Calves, thighs, buttocks, hips, neck, shoulders. Walking like I've been at sea. :)
Haven't done all that 1.5 km beach, no Sir. There's another beach nearby, just as urban, that's 1.2 kms. Getting kind of cool driving the motorbike the 40kms back home. Great day. Just traded my 500cc Vulcan in for a 750cc Virago. So smoothly powerful on the highway :D
Good luck fellow gold gophers! ;)

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Third time out? That's awesome! No medal, though>>> You already got the elusive ~GOLD RING~ prize! I keep thinking they ought to have an Olympic Detecting Team, but so far that hasn't happened. If they did, they could just bury the medal and whoever found it gets it!

Yes, detecting in the late evening or early morning hours can be calming-- gentle waves, starlight, and the occaisional wild critter. Just have to remember to keep looking around so you don't get snuck up on!

I don't give away change or finds either, or crowds of people will show up expecting you to do the same for them.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Great going! I think back to my first gold ring and I want to go right now! I said in an earlier post that I love hunting at night. The beach is desolate, the winds calm down (most of the time) and no one asks that all too familiar question, "Have you found anything?''. Lab rat is right on though, watch yourself. I carry a really big knife. Uh, for cutting fishing line and stuff. ;)
Don't worry about the fiisher. It may get anoying in the wet, but once you get used to the false signals and learn to calm it down you'll be in the game like anyone else. Good luck and HH!
Chris

ksczesny

Nov 26, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 14kt womans ring with a single pearl under an old coffee can lid buried 4in in sand at a old boat launch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions