My Minelab eperience

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know a lot of you have had bad experiences with Minelab, so I thought I would share mine with you. As some of you know I received my new Excal about a month back. I'll try to make a long story short. Due to me having to turn the threshold up about 3/4 of the way to get any sound at all and this not seeming right I contacted Kellyco about this a few days after I received the unit and I was told it was fine don't worry about it. Well it was bugging me because I'm thinking if only a 1/4 of the pot. should be working then they would put a 1/4 turn pot. on the machine and I paid that much money for it I want it to work right. So I contacted Minelab about a week ago and I was told over the phone the machine was defective and should be replaced. Since it is past the 14 day no questions asked return policy of Kellyco, they (Kellyco) would not outright replace it. Minelab said they would replace the unit and deal with Kellyco later, I have actually already recieved it.

Maybe I got lucky, maybe their changing their ways, I don't know, but I can't complain about the service I got.

Although it took a week to go through the process I now have a new unit, and even got a couple of follow-up calls to make sure I was satisfied.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is good to know Minelab's customer service is improving. Kellyco can't really be faulted for the 14 day policy because I imagine many buy a unit just to look for a lost ring and then want to return it for their money back. Sorta like women that buy a gown for a dinner date and return it afterward for a lot of reasons.

sjarchangel

Sep 13, 2008
Delaware
Detector(s) used
V3i, ETrac, Excal II, Shadow X2, Tesoro Silver Max, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth, I just received my new Excal II 3 days ago. Didn't even put it together until reading this post. Mine does the same thing . . . 3/4 turn on threshold just to hear it. I'll call ML tomorrow and see what they tell me. I'll post the answer.

SJA :-(

sjarchangel

Sep 13, 2008
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for the hell of it, I called ML a few minutes ago and actully talked to a live person! . . . she was very polite and helpful and transferred me to the Tech Dept. no one was there so I left a msg, We'll see how long before a return call.

SJA :-?

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even when my unit was working, it did the same thing.. I also wondered why have it turn so far, if you didnt get any hum until the 1 pm position..
I wonder if it will still do it after they "repair" it... We'll see..

sjarchangel

Sep 13, 2008
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this means anything but, in the Ex II's Manual, it shows a pic of the threshold set at approx half of the dial? . . . just a thought.

SJA :-)

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear they just sent you a new unit to replace a suspected bad one! Mine starts to be audible at around 3/4 turn using the NiMH pack, between 1/2 and 3/4 running with AA's.

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
MT Pockets said:
Since Minelab moved... when You call.. their answering service "Actually" Now transfers your call direct to
whoever it is that you need to speak to.... :thumbsup:

Thats a Great Start....

Glad you had a Fast turn aroud time...

this may be, because Minelab has just shipped out a bunch of machines to their suppliers..

and they still have some Brand New ones onhand..

Where did they move too?

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USA
Minelab USA Inc.
2777 Finley Road, Unit #4
Downers Grove, IL 60515 USA
Toll Free: 1-866-517-2066

sjarchangel

Sep 13, 2008
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As my previous post here, I called ML yesterday, (Sunday) and left a msg with tech support. They called me back TODAY at 11:45 EST!!. They have had several calls ref the 3/4 turn on the threshold and are looking into it. I was advised that a follow up call will be forthcoming shortly! . . .

SJA :-)

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Sjar - Keep us posted on the outcome, I'm curious to hear what they say since my second one does the same thing and so many others have posted theirs doing it. I personally don't think it is an issue since the replacement I got is working very good. Like I said before, check all your connections. That was an issue...

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Sandman said:
This is good to know Minelab's customer service is improving. Kellyco can't really be faulted for the 14 day policy because I imagine many buy a unit just to look for a lost ring and then want to return it for their money back. Sorta like women that buy a gown for a dinner date and return it afterward for a lot of reasons.

Actually it is called "buyer's remorse".

After seeing all the gold and diamond rings posted on the treasure nets a person would think that you could get rich in just a few days at the beach.
He reads all the wonderful write ups and spends $1000 on a detector. (hopefully not Chinese)
After using it a few days he realizes that it is a lot more work that he thought and there is no way he will come home with a pocket full of treasure.
(unless he values pull tabs and bottle caps)

sjarchangel

Sep 13, 2008
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRT, unless I'm getting it wrong, Sandman and Willie were merely commenting on the possibility WHY Kellyco has a 14 day policy, and I agree with them. I don't believe it was directed towards you.

SJA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread