This is how I set up my Excalibur

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't know about ya'll but I set up my Excal so when I turn it on, its ready to go. I turn it off by undoing the battery plug. It saves on the switch as the on/off Threshold knob went bad from use one time. To save on it, I've gotten in the habit of unplugging it. When my NiCads quit, I converted the casings to Alkaline batteries. I use Dollar Store batteries, 8 AA's are about $2.00 about a day' of found change keeps me in batteries. I have two sets and get about 14 hours out of those cheapie batteries. Even when the low battery signal goes off, I've got about 1/2 an hour of use. Anybody else do it this way? :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

sjarchangel

Sep 13, 2008
Delaware
Detector(s) used
V3i, ETrac, Excal II, Shadow X2, Tesoro Silver Max, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'd be more concerned with the wear and tear on the battery pod and connector housing threads, the contact pins, and the battery cable . . . just my .02

SJA

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
I do like the idea of the battery disconnect. Sometimes I get such a good threshold which was rare on my new Xcal II I don't want to loose it when moving from beach to beach, or when you stop to talk to another hunter! But I believe this to be my machine as its back I for repairs.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
i only use the on switch as everything else stays the same...if you dont move some of the knobs,over time they will freeze up ,like the lower rod will (if you hunt water).

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dixie Digger said:
i only use the on switch as everything else stays the same...if you dont move some of the knobs,over time they will freeze up ,like the lower rod will (if you hunt water).

Unscrewing the battery connector is OK only if you place silicone grease back on the threads before securing it again. I never have to take my detector apart and if I have to ever send it in I just untape the coil from the shaft.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Unscrewing the battery connector is OK only if you place silicone grease back on the threads before securing it again. I never have to take my detector apart and if I have to ever send it in I just untape the coil from the shaft.
I'm confused here... How do you plug it in to recharge it if you dont disconnect it??? Mine HAS to be unscrewed so I can screw in the charging adapter...
I dont think I would like just unscrewing it rather than using the on/off switch... Electronics are pretty sensitive to sudden electrical spikes, and I would be afraid of that or even a short.... Just like attaching wires to a power source while the thing you are hooking up is powered on, you can see sparks when you do that (talking cars, boats, etc.)... I wouldnt take the chance, since if you fry it, you will be without it for a looooooong time..
And besides, if you are not always hunting the same area, dont you have to re-tweak settings anyway? I know somedays I could have it set at one position for the slight hum, the next time out, the waves and/or wind would cause me to have to increase the threshold to get a decent hum through to my ears...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surfer, we didn't say we didn't unscrew it to recharge it. He was talking about leaving all the settings alone and unscrewing the battery connector. The suggestion to reapply silicone grease to the threads is to further insulate them from the water. You are right about the possible spike in current but doesn't that happen everytime after it is recharged?

au4me1

Apr 28, 2010
Flauthor,

I do the same thing as my on - off switch broke the very first time out. No problems doing this procedure yet. :dontknow:

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Surfer, we didn't say we didn't unscrew it to recharge it. He was talking about leaving all the settings alone and unscrewing the battery connector. The suggestion to reapply silicone grease to the threads is to further insulate them from the water. You are right about the possible spike in current but doesn't that happen everytime after it is recharged?
I got it now... When stopping hunting to eat or go to another location, instead of turning off, he unscrews the battery connection..

You dont have to worry about a spike when charging as long as the power is off when you unscrew and rescrew in the connector... Circuit is closed if the power switch is in the off position, but open if it is on and then you could have a power spike run to the electronics..

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Not trying to saying start WWIII here, but on 99.0% of all on-off switches the contacts are always closed in the on position and open in the off position.
Thus the circiut would be considered closed (while on) and open (while off). Go ahead I know it's coming, LOL

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TexasRT said:
Not trying to saying start WWIII here, but on 99.0% of all on-off switches the contacts are always closed in the on position and open in the off position.
Thus the circiut would be considered closed (while on) and open (while off). Go ahead I know it's coming, LOL

I can't wrap my head around this. It doesn't sound right. With a light switch, when it is OFF there is no current so the circuit has to be open. :icon_scratch:

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
On? Off? not sure about these types of electronics... but in engine wiring (lawnmowers, some automotive), very often the "off" switch actually opens the circuit to the "ground", so that the electrical goes to ground, and not to the spark plugs, thereby turning the engine off.

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Sandman said:
TexasRT said:

I can't wrap my head around this. It doesn't sound right. With a light switch, when it is OFF there is no current so the circuit has to be open. :icon_scratch:

I must be confused becaused that's excactly what I said above.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TexasRT said:
Good attention to detail, and no WWIII when you are right... Quoting some of my favorite politicians, "I Mis-spoke".... LOL... What I was really trying to get at, is that when the switch is in the off position, no current can spike through it.... Thanks for correcting me though.

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Silver - It was more like just goofing around than correcting. I not here to offend.

When are you going to being bying another new PI machine, I see your doing your best to wear that one out. lol

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TexasRT said:
Silver - It was more like just goofing around than correcting. I not here to offend.

When are you going to being bying another new PI machine, I see your doing your best to wear that one out. lol
I knew you were goofing, but you were also correct, and it is important for people to have the facts correctly.. Yeah, been using it a lot, but mostly in freshwater. The magnet I used (large round "pacer" magnet") is about half covered with iron flakes, even though I only used it once yesterday for about 3 hrs... That one lake beach (not where ring was found) is so full of iron, it is unbelievable..
I need to quit procrastinating and post my finds from the last two hunts..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions