Building a Galvanized Sand Scoop that wont break the bank.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Building a Galvanized Sand Scoop that won't break the bank.

:hello: When I first got into shallow water metal detecting, I couldn't afford a stainless steel scoop. After looking at several different kinds that were cheaper but wouldn't hold up very long, I decided to build my own. What you will need is a 8 foot length of 3/4" EMT tubing, 12 inch length of 1/2" EMT tubing, a galvanized grain scoop (see photo), a electric 3/8" drill, hacksaw, variety of stainless steel nuts and bolts and a couple of hours. When you buy the EMT 3/4" have them bend it in a U shape, See Diagram. One end of the EMT will go down the back of the scoop, figure A & C. I think I used 3/8" or 7/16" bolts as fasteners. The other end is bent at a right angle (figure B) to replace the original handle and leave enough to bend downward to run inside the scoop so as to sandwich the back of the scoop between the two EMT's, Figure C & D. Take the 1/2" EMT and fashion a cross member with longer ears like the original and fasten to the sides of the scoop (figure E) and the 3/4" EMT above it. Total scoop length is about 4 feet tall and will handle beach sand easily. Not too good with rocky shores so a heavier scoop would have to be substituted.
I used one of these galvanized scoops for 8 years until I replaced it with a Big Brute scoop that I found on sale. I gave my old scoop to a friend who couldn't afford the expensive one.
Hope this helps anyone who is wanting to save money but still have a good long handled scoop. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• MVC-804S.JPG
    MVC-804S.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 423
  • Diagram of Sand scoop.JPG
    Diagram of Sand scoop.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 415
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread