A scary reminder of the dangers of water detecting...

fir469

Dec 18, 2007
Well I almost drowned today... and my god was it scary! This came as a shocking reminder of the dangers of detecting in the water. Armed with my beach scoop and Sandshark I hit a lake today. Found a bunch of change but no goodies... I was heading out to the sand bar in the lake which is just past a 8ft deep 6ft wide trough, but i headed the wrong way. I frog kicked with my equipment to swim over the trough but was too far to the right to hit the sandbar, this is when the problems started. I went to touch bottom and quickly realized I had ended up in a 12ft deep area of the lake and was quickly running out of steam. I attempted to swim towards the sandbar but my legs just had no go left in them. Luckily a group of kids was nearby and I screamed for help, one boy (about 12yrs old) quickly swam over and grabbed my scoop from me to free up an arm as my other was harnessed in the arm cuff of the detector. I quickly ripped off the detector and let go of it. With the last of my strength I breaststroked onto the sandbar using only my arms as my legs were limp and burnt out. Had that boy not grabbed my scoop (I was panicking from having no strength and barely able to keep my face above water) I would have surely taken in water and drowned.

So please don't forget guys to always be cautious in the water, and bring a float or vest with you or a friend. I was seconds from drowning today and I may not ever water detect again... I'm a very strong swimmer but with that gear on and the weight and resistance it added it damn near killed me. Be safe out there everyone... I know I'm not a cat and don't have 9 lives and today surely reminded me of that.

Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not a good day. I always have a fanny pack LP when detecting alone. They are a bit pricy but with one little pull I have a life jacket. Think about getting one. steve

sjarchangel

Sep 13, 2008
Delaware
Detector(s) used
V3i, ETrac, Excal II, Shadow X2, Tesoro Silver Max, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ALWAYS wear a new type compact life vest when water hunting . . . I've stepped in deep holes and drop-offs before. Experience can be a strenuous teacher, no graduates or degrees, and sometimes only a few survivors. It lets you recognize a mistake before you make it again!

:-)

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Besides what was mentioned above, and not to belabor the point, but the equipment should be the first to go. Who cares if you are never able to retrieve it. All that equipment is not worth anyone's life.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, that would done me in for sure, I am just glad you are ok.. and lesson learned.. also why I wont go to far into the ocean, as I just over came a huge fear of it..but I will not go past my waist at this time.. not with the sharks n so forth and me not such a good swimmer in the ocean at all.

thank God those kids helped you.. hero's in my book.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Thanks for posting your experience.

Awhile back I posted about attaching all my equipment to a quick release belt. NOT to my body. All my equipment is self floating. With luck you might recover your stuff after an experience like yours.

Your lesson was learned in fresh water. Detecting in the ocean or Gulf is even more treacherous. Rip currents, drop-offs, fatigue, Etc.

Wearing a quality PFD is mandatory in my opinion. A floating sifter is also a good idea. Adds buoyancy to hold onto.

Learning lessons the hard way is not always pleasant. Again I refer to a fella named Ed. Rip got him and the only reason he survived is because of alert lifeguards. All his equipment was lost.

Thanks.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Glad you made it, sounds like a close call! I carry a bandoleer style type 5 PFD. Everybody should have some type of backup. Joe

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to see you are able to tell the story, Hope everyone realizes that most of us here are just not as young as we use to be and after a few hours, the fight we once had is just not there anymore. A PFD is a great Idea for all of us.......get yourself a good PFD, about a 150 dollars, a small price to pay for the next step that's not there................thanks for sharing.....Joe

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Yep had a similar experience not long ago. I walked out to a sandbar where people were playing and started detecting. When I got tired and was ready to go back to land I found that the trough between the sandbar and the shore was much MUCH deeper and I could not touch bottom. Luck was with me and I only had to swim about 20 feet but much more... and I'd have been in trouble. Lesson learned. I'm glad you are safe.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting this as we all forget just how precious life is. I wear a inflatable life vest only some times and should wear it all the time while wading the water.

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
hey glad you are OK !!! sounds like a rip current,or river dam opened in the lake. If it does happen again,and it will ,drop and i say drop everything !! seems if you had been there before. i lost a belt or two and i always found it .i have bad luck in lost dive knifes,its that snap!! if you dont have mask and snorkle let me know pm i could send you one,HH

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stepped in some really deep muck once, sank to my knees before I knew it. Lucky for me the water at that point was only at my shoulders so I could still breath or I would have been a gonner. I got out by letting go of everything and slowly working my right leg without forcing my left leg too much deeper. Once I had my right leg out I was able take a breath, go under to grab my scoop and then use it to push down as I worked the left leg out. Spooky indeed!

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
I've been there myself. I was seconds from drowning myself but lucked out. Had no safety guy on top, everybody was hookha diving when my rig got tangled and the motor stopped. Had to drop my weight belt, metal detector after inhaling a mouth of water, swam like a olympic swimmer to a piling where I hung on while I retch the water from my lungs. Its been 6 years and the mere thought still gives me chills. PFD's are ok but I've used a Sit On Top kayak to travel to sandbars and my PFD is added to my gear. I've just added a new piece of equipment for my expeditions. Picked up the Watertender 11.3 and trailer for $250. and the 5 hp 4 stroke Briggs&Stratton for $225. Boat can haul 500 pounds of gear and my hookha rig. Gives me something to hang onto while resting between dives.
Be careful out there. :icon_thumleft: :coffee2:

Attachments

• MVC-805S.JPG
    MVC-805S.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 608
  • MVC-806S.JPG
    MVC-806S.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 615

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
I wear a wet suit every time I detect in water. I float like a cork with it on. I have a shock cord attached to my Excalibur and my belt so If I drop it to swim, it comes along. My scoop has a long enough tether that I can drop it and retrieve it.

If you are water hunting, it is a good idea to get yourself into good shape. Too many times I have seen people out of shape get themselves in trouble while in the water.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a self-inflating vest that I would wear if in water that could possibly be over my head, or in current situations..
I am so glad that this turned out a good story... But I have to ask this.... When you thought you were getting in trouble, why the heck didnt you drop your scoop and detector???? Man, I dont have that big of balls... I would have dropped them immediately.. I figure I can always retrieve them, or not, and they do you no good anyway if you are dead...

Glad to still have you with us!

OP
OP
F

fir469

Dec 18, 2007
I was fine one second and frantic the next, all I could think about was keeping my face above the water and didn't think to just drop the scoop, I was in too much of a panic at that point. The detector was strapped to my arm pretty good and I couldn't shake it free. It was definitely scary. Try and thread water with no hands in the pool, your legs will turn to noodles in no time and that's what happened to me. I'll be sticking to nothing over my waist from now on...

excal/pirate

Jan 28, 2009
fir469 said:
I was fine one second and frantic the next, all I could think about was keeping my face above the water and didn't think to just drop the scoop, I was in too much of a panic at that point. The detector was strapped to my arm pretty good and I couldn't shake it free. It was definitely scary. Try and thread water with no hands in the pool, your legs will turn to noodles in no time and that's what happened to me. I'll be sticking to nothing over my waist from now on...
glad your okay, ive read your posts and i can say that you were not prepared to be in the water, panic is what kills people, you must be able to save yourself all you had to do was drop your gear, ive been seeing alot of this in fla i watch guys that have no business being in the water all the time, now its up to you whether you quit or not but if you decide to give it another try put on a life jacket not a inflatttable as if you panic you might forget how to blow it up or pull behind boogie board with a tether also what im trying to say is you must be prepared for any misshaps that might happen and do not panic that is what almost cost you your life goodluck

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am glad to see that you are OK. I cannot imagine the feeling of panic.

Based on what you said, your tector is still on the bottom? When I get back we will get some snorkel equipment and get it back.

In any case, your life is what is important!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions