Reminder to all water hunters

XT18000

May 26, 2008
With the recent thread posted by "fir469 A Scary reminder of the dangers of water detecting"
everyone who hunts in salt water needs to remember that Sept. marks a change not only
in the air temp.s but more important a change in the water currents, they will start running
stronger, scallop out holes and troughs, have a increase in strength,& in short, make a lot
of changes in a short length of time. This can and will happen on a daily basis, and that's
a good thing for us water hunters but also brings us dangers that we haven't had to pay
much attention to during the summer. A bottom that was flat as a plate yesterday can
be a mine field the next with hole's in it that can be over your head with one step. We
all need to exercise some good judgement and common since in how we hunt under
those conditions. Any brand of PDF will save a life if given a chance, get one and wear
it and be a safer hunter!

Upvote 0

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wonder if some folks think that wearing a PFD is "uncool" looking?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they think it is uncool, let them not wear them and remove themselves from the gene pool.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
None of us detectorists exactly look like James Bond at the beach anyway, so why not just wear the thing?

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always were one on the boat, but never thout about it while metal detecting. Well, I added onw to the arsenal yesterday. That post scared me.

Just another reason I love this site. I have learned so much from so many.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Bass Pro (www.basspro.com) sells a manual inflatable vest that look like suspenders. Get in trouble give a tug on the release cord. It costs about $90.00. I bought a vest type for use in the boat for $25.00 on eBay with the Co2 activation cord. But I'd think towing my kayak behind me on a cord would be a better option depending on conditions or stay where you can touch bottom. :icon_thumleft: :coffee2:

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Smudge said:
None of us detectorists exactly look like James Bond at the beach anyway, so why not just wear the thing?
HAHA!

excal/pirate

Jan 28, 2009
XT18000 said:
With the recent thread posted by "fir469 A Scary reminder of the dangers of water detecting"
everyone who hunts in salt water needs to remember that Sept. marks a change not only
in the air temp.s but more important a change in the water currents, they will start running
stronger, scallop out holes and troughs, have a increase in strength,& in short, make a lot
of changes in a short length of time. This can and will happen on a daily basis, and that's
a good thing for us water hunters but also brings us dangers that we haven't had to pay
much attention to during the summer. A bottom that was flat as a plate yesterday can
be a mine field the next with hole's in it that can be over your head with one step. We
all need to exercise some good judgement and common since in how we hunt under
those conditions. Any brand of PDF will save a life if given a chance, get one and wear
it and be a safer hunter!
panic is what got him in trouble i would say he should wear boat vest not a infatable he might forget how to its a good thing he was in a lake and not the ocean

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Got the Stearns PFD Fishing Manual inflate Vest 4444, wearing this since I started 4 years ago. My thing is in the water, it get blown up with the oneway inflatetube, so it inflated already..when hunting chest deep in the ocean and the swells are coming in {before they break into waves} I can bobb and hold on to my scoop once it is planted in the sand, giving me a chance to locate the target, then Hit & Run. Plus I like the fishing vest for I can put my finds in different pockets and not have to worry about the finds Bag. The pockets have a mesh bottom so the sand falls thur or washes out. One thing, with the Pfd inflated already, the cord is tucked away so I accidental don't pull it and blow the inflatable......... If it inflated already, it's one less thing you have to worry about.....

One thing about the Belt Inflatable, they pop out inflated when you pull the cord, you still have to get it around your neck..

Attachments

• fishing vest 4444.jpg
    fishing vest 4444.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 325

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
It is far more dangerous to drive to the beach than to actually water detect. But it is a good point.

Problem is that many detectorists are just plain fat and out of shape. They get into trouble and then panic. Panic then rules and everything is forgotten on what to do.

The other problem is that water detectorists often spend too much time in the water and never figure that they are getting tired. I set my alarm on my watch and every two hours I get out of the water to rest. It really is amazing how fast time flies when you are water detecting. And the sun and all the heat will beat the daylights out of you. I once went to Siesta beach in Florida and I actually spent 9 hours in the water straight. I got there at 9 am and before I knew it it was almost 7 PM. So I got a waterproof watch and use it religiously.

I'm in really good shape for 54 and I always wear a wet suit. I float like a cork. My detector is bungy corded and my scoop is tethered to my belt. If I ever need to, I just drop them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread