008dave.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 852
Upvote 0

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
I believe he is talking about using a cable tie, more commonly known as a zip tie.

I have a hard time just undoing the latches on my old Surf PI to change the battery, but that was the first thing I noticed about the Dual Field was how easy it was to undo the latches, almost too easy.

I'm thinking now that either a cable tie or a Velcro strap would be a good idea. Like the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine snap down pretty tightly... Real tightly actually. I tried to "pop" them by rubbing the control box on various things, edge of counter, snagged on my finds bag, etc... It really took a lot to get them to pop, and I cant imagine snagging them on something while detecting and not feeling the resistance before they popped open.. BUT.... Why take the chance when it means a messed up machine??
Going to use the zip ties...

I think I will use some kind of strap, about 2" wide... Melt a hole in each end, then place that over the box (covering the latches), and then put a zip tie through the holes and tightening...
I will post a picture when I get it done to show y'all how it turns out...

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this will work great..... I had an old tow strap lying around (I can always find a use for it sometime honey.. LOL) and I like that it is thicker and stiffer than the other strap I was going to use.. Here are some pics of it...
What Whites needs to do is to cut a rectangular hole on the bottom of each latch, just big enough for a tie strap, so that you could just put one tie strap in both holes, going under the unit, and there is no way the latches could move up unless you took off the tie strap.. But for now, this will have to work..

Attachments

• IMG_5494.JPG
    IMG_5494.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_5495.JPG
    IMG_5495.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_5496.JPG
    IMG_5496.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 254

lowtones

Aug 19, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur , Explorer 2 ,Soverign elite,
Ill take your slim pickens any day of the week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread