Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fish out of water... first "real" beach hunt

Well I got to hunt my first "real" beach... and let me tell you its more different than I expected... how? good? bad? was it a good hunt? well to put it simply.... yes

First I found out I can't hunt in my normal coin/jewelry mode... I assume because of the salt... glad it had a pre programed beach program... that did the trick... but I had to relearn how to hunt with my detector!

It was HOT, there were lots of people and I forgot my headsets... so I had to hunt at night!

The sand sticks to me, to the pointer, the shovel, in my bag!
The sand cakes up on my coil and I gotta clean it fairly often...
That sand gets into EVERYTHING!

What did I find?

3 hours... (1st hour was learning new mode)3 quarters 5 dimes 12 pennies (mostly zinc)
set of keys, flip flops, bullet, bottom end of fishing pole.

Did I enjoy it? Yes

Will I be back... I'll let you know...

Chukers

Attachments

• beach hunt.JPG
    beach hunt.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 628
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: fish out of water... first "real" beach hunt

Now you have an idea why us old beach hunters have so much fun. It is a different hunt and the digging is easy without all the mosquitoes.
I forgot to list the link to the best beach hunting site. http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/ :thumbsup:

diggerdun

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2010
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

Congratulations Chukers! Hang in there...check out the 'towell line' today when you are driving around with the family. There's a low tide at 4:10pm and peaks at midnight. Tomorrow's (Wednesday) low tide is 5PM. The crowds usually start leaving between these times. Check out Wal Mart along the seawall or Radio Shack to get some cheap head sets. Or call me and I will bring you a set.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

I love beach hunting. Even when I don't find much, it is so peaceful and easy digging. You never know when the next scoop will have gold!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
Now you have an idea why us old beach hunters have so much fun. It is a different hunt and the digging is easy without all the mosquitoes.

thankfully I didn't have the mosquito problem just as Diggerdun said...

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggerdun said:
Congratulations Chukers! Hang in there...check out the 'towell line' today when you are driving around with the family. There's a low tide at 4:10pm and peaks at midnight. Tomorrow's (Wednesday) low tide is 5PM. The crowds usually start leaving between these times. Check out Wal Mart along the seawall or Radio Shack to get some cheap head sets. Or call me and I will bring you a set.

not sure what you mean by towell line... I assume you mean where the sand built up from the high tide... remember I don't know anything about the beach, except there is so much sand and it gets everywhere LOL...

and thanks DD you be so much help... I appreciate it.. other than the attention I get from the noise of the detector, I am doing fine with out headsets. I'll be night hunting mostly... that way I can do the family thing during the day and have time to do as much hunting as I want after dark...

Chukers

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggerdun said:

how long does low tide last?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You usually have two high tides and two low tides within 24 hours. They come in and go out differently depending on your location. Check the tide tables for your area.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

not sure what you mean by towell line.

This is the imaginary line in the sand where everybody pots their towels. Runs parallel to the water line. It is the best area to find finds if you can't get you machine wet.

Oh yeah one more thing you need for daytime hunting. Polorized Sunglasses so your signifigant other thinks you are always looking in your scoop.

diggerdun

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2010
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

Chuckers,

Piercesdad is correct...you will see the beach peeps laying or sitting in a line (towel line) along the beach above the waters edge. Sometimes they drop coins, jewelry, ect. The sunglasses suggestion is a must! You have to 'protect' your eyes from damaging UV rays and left hooks.

Your low tide for today is 4:10pm and the high tide is not until midnight. So you should have plenty of area to search (damp/wet sand) along with the dry stuff until the surf comes in.

Again, good luck!

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Hey Chukers - I assume you made it to Galveston, if your going to hunt at night make a mental note of were the chairs and umbrellas are setup during the day. Usually everyone that doesn't rent the chairs lays out in a line just in front of them, between them and the waters edge.

Just FYI - there are some fairly undesireables out at night down there, watch your back.

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck out there!! You'll find beach hunting very enjoyable. I have to admit that I am in this hobby for the instant personal satisfaction of un earthing something that is tangible and valuable. Whether it's a quarter or a 14k wedding band. The relic hunters know their stuff and really appreciate a good find and I respect the heck out of them. They research and hunt for areas to dig. "Dig". With the beach, you just bend, scoop, sift and out pops something. Could be a pull tab or it could be a gold ring. But then I haven't lived in a relic target rich environment. Maybe next place I'll become a relic fan.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

With the beach, you just bend, scoop, sift and out pops something.

I could not disagree with you more!

It's just different research. As mentioned earlier in this thread, beach hunters need to know tides, wind direction, surf direction, towel lines, etc.

I will agree there are more finds on the beach, but if you don't know where to look you will not find them.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well I think my beach hunting endevors are over for now... I put in 7 or 8 hours total I found lots of pull tabs and bottle caps and clad coins, but no real treasures... I'm sure with time I'd would get better hunting in beach mode but it made it seem the detector was some what crippled. It's not that I didn't like it... It's different! I know popping gold and silver jewelry out of the ground is exciting but I miss digging the old stuff.

Chukers

Also it didn't help my vacation money ran out LOL

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chuckers -

Now that you got your feet wet...C'mon back anytime

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just really didn't want to take anything away from all you swell beach hunter guys... I am humbled...

Chukers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread