I broke a Record

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I went to the beach yesterday and found 7 pair of sunglasses, a record for me. Last week one day I found 5 pairs. Most of them were trash including the "$249 Maui Jim's". I think my two grand kids may each get a pair from what is not scratched up too bad from the sand. The Maui Jim's were about 20 inches deep and the lenses are frosted. I guess they were there for a while. I also nicked the lens with the scoop, which didn't help. I think I have figured out the larger deep signal to be glasses and have started digging larger holes to try to get under them more carefully. I am waiting for one of these deep larger signals to be a nice Rolex watch, but that hasn't happened yet. Last week I did manage to snag a small 1.76g 14k gold band with 14 tiny diamonds. Probably not worth a lot, but the only nice thing I found that week.... Yesterday I was approached by a couple who asked if I had found a ring down the beach, and I had not. I was headed that way and said I would be glad to look for it for them, so we walked up the beach and they showed me where they were playing football when it came off. As they walked off the beach, and I started to hunt, I told them, my wife was coming in an hour with the grand kids and where we would be and what our umbrella looked like. They could check with me later to see if I found it. They left and 5 minutes later I found the 8.9g ring with the inscription they described. My family and I played at the beach for 4 hours and they never showed up. They didn't give their name and I have no way to contact them. I guess they didn't think I would find it. I may post a "found" notice where they left the beach, but beyond that I am not sure what else I can do to return it to them. Yesterday, I also found $2.42 in change and at least 40 pieces of junk and bobby pins. Gold is fun to find, even if I don't get to keep it.

Attachments

• Sunglasses 001.JPG
    Sunglasses 001.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 835
  • 27 July 002.JPG
    27 July 002.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 851
  • Treasure 8-3-10 008.JPG
    Treasure 8-3-10 008.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 842
Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess they weren't as upset about it as you or I would be. You did what you could. If no one steps forward soon, looks like you have another piece of gold to add to your collection. Congrats :icon_thumleft:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Amazing number of sunglasses!

Two suggestions on the found ring:

Leave a Craigslist ad.

Give the closest lifeguard to the loss area a note with your contact info. You might also ask him where the closest lost and find storage area is.

I generally give my key finds to the lifeguards and at my local beach there's a lost and found right at the pier. For some reason I prefer to hold on to the more valuable finds and try to locate the loser myself.

HH Joe

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
I got a pair of Gucci Sunglasses last week. They were DEEP too! I'm going to guess close to 24". The condition was not too bad either, I don't think they were in the water that long, just goes to show how fast the sand is moving down south. Unfortunately I broke the temple hinge getting them out. I'm thinking it might be worth it to get them fixed since they retail for nearly $500.

image.php

OP
OP
petersra

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
DrJoePrime said:
Amazing number of sunglasses!

Two suggestions on the found ring:

Leave a Craigslist ad.

Give the closest lifeguard to the loss area a note with your contact info. You might also ask him where the closest lost and find storage area is.

I generally give my key finds to the lifeguards and at my local beach there's a lost and found right at the pier. For some reason I prefer to hold on to the more valuable finds and try to locate the loser myself.

HH Joe

Thanks looking and for the suggestions, I do plan to do a Craig's list Lost & Found Ad, but the beach is not guarded in this area, so that suggestion won't work. HH Ralph

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
If a guy with a detector is looking for MY ring in the spot I lost it, I'd sure as hell swap numbers! Odd. :dontknow: At least you can identify them if they respond to a lost & found notice.

I read on a youtube members' page that he stopped showing his finds in his video's because a whole bunch of emails would hit him from people claiming he found their rings! Chancers... Bleh.

HH;)

OP
OP
petersra

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Well, I did post an Add on Craigslist last week and also placed a sign at the beach directing the owner to Craigslist Lost and Found. No response. So I guess you guys were right, the owner was not as concerned about losing the ring as I would have been. If they show up I will give it back, but it doesn't look like they are going to show up.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
u let them do the craiglist posting

if they care enough

then u can return it...............i tell people all the time...........post on craig list.

every water hunter in va beach reads it like a bible every morning around here.

nice spin u had also...............good luck......kewl tickets

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread