A day of learning.

miller433

Jun 29, 2010
N.E. Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 800, Soveriegn GT, Garrett 1500, Garrett Ace
I was determined to hunt in a slow and methodical way yesterday following the many tips I've received, here mostly, and was rewarded with a good number of finds. Paying attention to broken signals and signals that nulled out I found a lot of deep targets and lot's of misc. jewelery. We had just hunted this beach 2 weeks earlier and I can't believe all this was just lost. I've been hunting with my Excalibur since 2002 and I think I've learned more about using it in the last 3mos than in the previous years.
I also had my first close encounter while detecting in the water. I was trying to dig a target in water that was too deep. Digging on the downhill slope I went to push down on my scoop and momentum carried me over and into deeper water. Luckily I was able to ditch my detector and scoop and swim back to shallower water. Thankfully the water was clear and I still had my headphones on so I was able to recover everything. And yes, I had just recently read all the posts about wearing a Personal Flotation Device, I'll probably look into one of those now. The target I was digging.........pop tab.

1 silver chain
2 silver rings
1 10k white gold class ring

Attachments

• DSCN1963.JPG
    DSCN1963.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresh or saltwater? I have done a little freshwater lake hunting and it amazed me at all the broken glass I found on the bottom! After my first outing I bought a pair of thick soled rubber diving booties just to use when detecting water. It's hard to believe that the beaches I hunted had a lot of kids and grown up swimming barefoot. A lot of beer parties go on at one beach and it is mostly college age kids who build a bond fire, party all night, and throw broken beer bottles into the lake I think? But everyone be careful out there! Monty

OP
OP
miller433

miller433

Jun 29, 2010
N.E. Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 800, Soveriegn GT, Garrett 1500, Garrett Ace
We were in a fresh water pond, stuck here in the midwest I've never had the pleasure of hunting the saltwater beaches. We do dig a lot of trash, screws, nails, wire, fishing hooks, pop tabs, bottle caps, items that can ruin your day if stepped on. We had all our items laid out on a picnic table when the caretaker came along to see what we found. He was surprised at all the junk we had taken out and actually invited us to come back and clean out the beach any time we wanted. He also told us that the swimming beach used to be located on the other end of the pond ! ! ! I can't wait to go back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread