bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The black hip-mount bag is made to allow use while the control box is shaft mounted. You do not want to let it get wet though. Maybe you can figure out a way to enclose the box inside of a ziplock bag. I do it when chest mounting the box but never tried it while the box was shaft mounted. Remember though, it does not make the box waterproof. If you want waterproof, you might want to either think of a way to put it in a waterproof box or buy an Excalibur.

HH, Bottlebum

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:coffee2:
look up some past posts from TREASURE_HUNTER. he water proofed a sov gt.
said it worked pretty good. he has 6 or 8 other units now

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:headbang:
pix attached

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Other than hip or chest mounting the box, is there a way to protect the box at the beach? Since its mounted on the bottom of the shaft, I'm afraid to set the detector down in the sand to retrieve the target.

Advice?
Wouldn't it just be easier to chest mount it ? then you don't have to worry about it getting wet even in knee deep water Dd60

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have mine chest mounted so it never gets near the sand. If you still wanna keep it on the shaft you can place a baggie over it or use one of the detector brackets or make your own out of a wire coat hanger to keep it off the sand. But the chest mount is the best.

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage
Hip or chest mount is the way to go. I use a Bino strap around my neck and the belt around my middle to keep the control box against my body when bending over.

Attachments

• Neckstrap.jpg
    Neckstrap.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 579

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyman said:
Hip or chest mount is the way to go. I use a Bino strap around my neck and the belt around my middle to keep the control box against my body when bending over.

Crazyman, is that a GT or an Elite in the bag in your picture? Just wondering because when I tried to put my GT in the blue bag, it wouldn't fit. Might have had something to do with the fact that I also use a ziplock or maybe the bag was a little undersized.

HH, bottlebum

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage
Bottlebum, That is the Elite but the Elite and Gt are the same size. This is my GT and Elite in the pic. below.The older blue bag is to small if you use a plastic bag. I would think the newer Minelab black bag would be big enough but if not you can find a larger camera bag and modify it to work also. I like the older Blue bag for general/wet sand hunting because it has a thin rubber coating on the inside and is pretty weather proof.

Attachments

• My-Sovereigns2.jpg
    My-Sovereigns2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 415
  • My-Sovereigns2.jpg
    My-Sovereigns2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 351

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyman said:
Bottlebum, That is the Elite but the Elite and Gt are the same size. This is my GT and Elite in the pic. below.The older blue bag is to small if you use a plastic bag. I would think the newer Minelab black bag would be big enough but if not you can find a larger camera bag and modify it to work also. I like the older Blue bag for general/wet sand hunting because it has a thin rubber coating on the inside and is pretty weather proof.

Thanks! I knew that the XS was a little smaller than the GT is but I wasn't sure about the Elite. With the XS, I was able to use a ziploc along with the blue bag. I like the blue bag for the same reasons that you mentioned. The black bag is a little too bulky, made up of too many pieces and the sides of the flap do not wrap around the opening as well as the flap of the blue bag. You can however put a ziploc around the GT when using the black bag. Guess that makes up a little for the black bags lack of weather proofing.

HH, bottlebum

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water Gal Pal said:
I put a sticker over my speaker to keep the sand from getting in. Speaker decal!

Wanda
[email protected]

I've wanted to do that but can't find one to fit. I'm always checking the toy section of wal-mart but haven't had any luck yet....lol!

Charles in Va

Apr 5, 2010
Use the silver tape air conditioner people use. It is water proof and will last outside in the weather for years. Most any ac person will probably give you what you need.

Zofchak

Mar 11, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Excaliburs, Sovereign GT and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Other than hip or chest mounting the box, is there a way to protect the box at the beach? Since its mounted on the bottom of the shaft, I'm afraid to set the detector down in the sand to retrieve the target.

Advice?

Do you have a detector stand on the straight shaft? I use a PVC stand (bought from Plugger on Ebay). It easily keeps the control above the dirt. If you are working in soft, dry sand you could also add larger feet to stand to keep it from settling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread