A bit of humor about surf hunting

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Several of you know I'm new to the surf/water hunting, and I'm really liking it. BUT I have noticed some patterns.

Most of the time when a good hit comes along - there is always a big group of people right next to you.
Most of the time when a good hit comes along - several large waves will be there shortly afterward.
Most of the time when a good hit comes along - little johnny or little jill has just almost walked on top of your coil and stops to stare at you.
Most of the time when you head for an open spot in waist deep water to do some (alone hunting), everyone else at the beach decides to head for that spot too.

LOL, just a few observations in my short water hunting career, anyone else ever notice the same? Still hooked on it though,LOL

HH

Upvote 0

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often wondered if those EXACT same things happen to anyone else, funny stuff!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots more things that happen to surf hunters that we just have to live with. It is what makes the hunt exciting.

Tab Hunter

Sep 24, 2009
I like it when they ask if you are finding anything......I usually reply...Yes I am "pennies and pull tabs"....then I just grin real big like some crazy man and they usually walk off smiling and shaking their head...man I love this Hobby...been doing it over 30yrs now....HH...Tab.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! Well hopefully I'll be experiencing that too soon. I've been wanting real bad this summer to buy a water detector but limited on funds and not sure if I'll be happy with a PI machine (I'm all fresh water - Lake Ontario, NY). My whole thought has been to hit the water at first day light for a quick 2 hrs before the locals & tourists wake up in attempt to avoid them folks.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Get a bunch of kids around you and they are asking you "What are you doing?". I look them in the eye dead serious that I'm a shark biologist and I'm listening for the tagged sharks in the area.
Hey, where'd all the kids go? :laughing9:

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
FLauthor said:
Get a bunch of kids around you and they are asking you "What are you doing?". I look them in the eye dead serious that I'm a shark biologist and I'm listening for the tagged sharks in the area.
Hey, where'd all the kids go? :laughing9:

I like that one. :thumbsup:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
greydigger said:
You might say "I am trying to poop. Can you give me some room please".

Now THAT'S a great answer!!!!!

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tab Hunter said:
I like it when they ask if you are finding anything......I usually reply...Yes I am "pennies and pull tabs"....then I just grin real big like some crazy man and they usually walk off smiling and shaking their head...man I love this Hobby...been doing it over 30yrs now....HH...Tab.

My favorite question is "does that really work?" I wonder how many people out there would throw $1000 down for a machine, head out to neck deep water, spend hours out there, and all for something that really doesn't work.

As for getting a good signal, yes it seems to always happen that here comes the waves. I can be hunting for hours not getting a good signal and some how, magic probably, here comes the waves and I mean the big ones.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep never fails I am in knee deep water, get a good signal go to dig, and bam a wave smacks me upside the back of the head and I see stars. Or I am in chest deep water, find a good signal and start to dig, only to have a wave roll me, and when I surface I am 10ft away from the target, about the time I get back to it, here comes the next set of waves.

Or finally its a calm day, I get out neck deep where you know the bigger rings are, and I go to scoop only to discover I can't get enough weight on the scoop to make a dent in the sand. It bites being so little.

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I don't hunt in the water but stay on the beach and I find most of the time when I've finally locked onto the "money trail" Mother Nature calls and I have to try to detect a restroom! I guess there is more than one advantage to water detecting.

JRich

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
omg some funny great posts on this one... lol love the shark one and the poop one... but everytime I get in, I know on that first walk in... I know I am gonna get waffled by a huge wave.. and I always do.. god I hate sand in my pants.. gotta take the bad with the good eh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread