Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Doctor appointment today in Weston, so figured I'd hit Miami while I was there.... Man is it sanded in there.. I dug a few test holes and most places couldnt hit shell or a firm bottom even with a two foot deep hole... Hmmmm... The surf was big and crashing, and really ripping currents, even at the surf line, so my back and I decided the water wasnt really the best idea... Well, after about the 10th bottle cap, I compromised with my back and decided to hit knee deep and shallower.. I began looking for any sign of a cut, and about 200 yds down the beach I came on an area where current was coming in one side and running parallel with the beach... Sure enough, I could hit hard bottom about 10" down, shell and coral.. About 15 feet after I started, I hit a small sinker at about 12".. "Thats good" I told myself.. Then, a very sand worn quarter about 5 feet past the sinker.. Then, as I was sweeping right up to the "ledges" edge, I heard a really faint tone.. I found today that coins and rings do not make the sharp, loud tone that bottle caps do, thats for sure..
Anyway, I dug a scoop.. Sound gets louder, but still not harsh like a bottle cap.. "Another quarter"... Dug another scoop.. Still louder, but yet faint.. Of course, with each scoop taken out, about half of it would wash back in with the crazy surf... Scoop 4, not yet... Scoop 5.... By this time, I am a good 16" deep.. Okay, hole clear... I started sifting my scoop in the water and when it cleared, I look in and WOOOOOOOOOWSIE!!!

I have this CHUNK of a ring staring back at me... Very gawky, with a large blue stone... Heavy as all get out, so I am thinking "Is this Platinum?".... I french fellow happened to stop right then and ask me "did you find something"... I held out the ring and asked him "Can you see well, I cant without my reading glasses"... He took the ring and said "it has 750 and 18k on it"... I almost did a happy dance right there!!!
Put it in my bag and continued hunting... I hunted the rest of that strip, found a few coins and a lot of OLD bottle caps.. A stainless padlock, and a cheap pair of sunglasses.. When the cut ended, I walked around for about an hour testing the sand depth along the way, and never could find any more spots that werent very deep sand.. SO, after a total of 3 hrs, I decided to head home 2 1/2 hrs away.. Only found one ring, but man, it is my nicest one yet.... I need to get it appraised, it is far more valuable than melt... My daughter asked me if it could be a "blue diamond"... I didnt know there was such a critter, but I figure something that rare would probably be set in Platinum rather than white gold.. Maybe a Blue Topaz or Sapphire she then said.. I have no idea, but I will surely find out and post my findings...

HH to you all!!

Attachments

• blue bomber finds.jpg
    blue bomber finds.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 975
  • blue bomber 1.jpg
    blue bomber 1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 977
  • blue bomber 2.jpg
    blue bomber 2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 982
  • blue bomber 4.jpg
    blue bomber 4.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 962
  • blue bomber 5.jpg
    blue bomber 5.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 988
  • blue bomber 6.jpg
    blue bomber 6.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 976
  • blue bomber 8.jpg
    blue bomber 8.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 964
  • blue bomber 7.jpg
    blue bomber 7.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 976
Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Short hunt only gave up one..... But man is she a nice one!

great description of your hunt!!!!! and as far as that ring goes.......... :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: :hello: banner?

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI

That is a VERY nice looking ring!!! wtg!!!!! :headbang: :hello2:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Stone way too big for it to likely be a diamond. However, those smaller stones look possible.

So what is the stone? I'd guess (complete guess) aquamarine. I'd suggest taking it to a jeweler to get a better opinion. Slightly blue-green color. Much cheaper, and a larger stone can be had for a much cheaper price. Still one BIG ring! Congratulations!

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. :tongue3:

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tuberale said:
Stone way too big for it to likely be a diamond. However, those smaller stones look possible.

So what is the stone? I'd guess (complete guess) aquamarine. I'd suggest taking it to a jeweler to get a better opinion. Slightly blue-green color. Much cheaper, and a larger stone can be had for a much cheaper price. Still one BIG ring! Congratulations!
I was also thinking no on the diamond, until I did a search on blue diamond rings... Seems they frequently put them in 14k, and there were even several with the same cut (but not quite as big)... About $3 k and 2 of them said "enhanced", so I am guessing they are "colored" diamonds??
As far as the color, it is actually lighter than what the pictures show... Artificial light does not work so well with digital cameras.. I would call this a "sky blue" of "powder blue"... But Blue Topaz also looks similar in color.. Wont know till I take it in... Man, can you imagine if it were a diamond? Holy smokes, I dont even want to get that idea into my head.. Any way I look at it, it is one hell of a find for sure!

HH

D

digum smacks

awesome find looks like a blue topaz get her checked out though :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey SS, that is one hot ticket you have there!! Yes, diamonds do come in a variety of colors. They come in steelgrey,white,blue,yellow,orange,red,green,pink to purple,brown and black. Colors are caused by impurities. Perfect diamonds are completely transparent, but pink or blue can greatly inhance the price. Thanks for the run down on the story. Even though I don't live near a beach I payed close attention to what you said. Again, congrats on a great find! :hello2:

SilverStrike82

Apr 27, 2009
Fresno, CA

Really awesome ring!! Being female....I'd be pretty upset to find that off my finger!

Congrats, and happy hunting! (looking forward to my next beach trip!) :laughing7:

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow silver surfer, you found a real nice one this time. The stone looks like a sapphire or tourmaline to me...either way it's very valuable. Nice job finding the cut in the beach. Hope the luck keeps up for you. HH Niffler

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks all... I feel pretty lucky for sure...
If it ends up a tourmaline, or topaz, or even a blue sapphire, anyone have a ballpark as to what it may be worth???

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know tourmaline is super expensive... cant wait to hear what the jeweler says it is..awesome find for sure.. a most unusual setting with the diamonds bezel set too.. :thumbsup:

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

awesome find

numpty

Jul 31, 2010

Nice ring and 18k to boot I hope it turns out to be valuable but if not
it must have been a great buzz to see that in the scoop which is why I do it.
Its a bit of a thrill every time I see gold in there, and you got the stone aswell!
well done great find.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, at first it was the typical "probably costume", but then I realized that at the depth I found it, it would have had some kind of corrosion.. Then the weight.... Then, the "OMG".... Yeah, it is definitely a rush... Taking it to a gemologist today...

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

it is a beauty!! congrats

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cntrydncr1 said:
Too bad the stone wasnt a diamond like the one you found Deb... I would have crapped myself right there.. LOL>.
The Gemologist wasnt in today, and I wont go back to them anyway... Only one in my county, and they are very rude. The lady said she knew immediately that it wasnt a blue diamond, I asked her how she knew that if she wasnt a gemologist, and she says "If that was a blue diamond, it would be worth an awful lot of money, and they would have had insurance people looking for it"... I just laughed and said "how do you know they DIDNT have insurance people looking for it", and walked out.. She also told me that jewelers buy wholesale and "you will be lucky to get $200 for it (not to mention they want at least $50 for the gemologist to look at it)...
Went to the local jeweler here in my little town. He cleaned it for free (man it looks SO much better) and told me it was a European ring due to it's design, most probably a Blue Topaz due to the cut (he said they dont cut diamonds that way since it doesnt reflect the light as well) and that the ring even with the stones taken out "is worth more than $300 just for the gold"...
He told me I would be better off trying to sell it on an outlet like ebay...

Heck, if I cant get what I think it's worth, it's my Sisters birthstone as well as my Mothers.... But I kinda doubt my Mom would ever even wear a ring like that..

So I am debating on the Gemologist in Sarasota.. $30 for an appraisal from him... I really would like to know the carat count of the stone. Jeweler here thought it was 5-6 ct stone..

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

SS - That's an awesome find. I think you should go for it and get it appraised, if you're like most people and you don't it will haunt you forever not knowing. You never know it could be worth a small fortune. Good luck whatever you decide.

HH

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh that is so beautiful! If I brought that home I'd never see it again!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Surfer said:
cntrydncr1 said:
Too bad the stone wasnt a diamond like the one you found Deb... I would have crapped myself right there.. LOL>.
The Gemologist wasnt in today, and I wont go back to them anyway... Only one in my county, and they are very rude. The lady said she knew immediately that it wasnt a blue diamond, I asked her how she knew that if she wasnt a gemologist, and she says "If that was a blue diamond, it would be worth an awful lot of money, and they would have had insurance people looking for it"... I just laughed and said "how do you know they DIDNT have insurance people looking for it", and walked out.. She also told me that jewelers buy wholesale and "you will be lucky to get $200 for it (not to mention they want at least $50 for the gemologist to look at it)...
Went to the local jeweler here in my little town. He cleaned it for free (man it looks SO much better) and told me it was a European ring due to it's design, most probably a Blue Topaz due to the cut (he said they dont cut diamonds that way since it doesnt reflect the light as well) and that the ring even with the stones taken out "is worth more than $300 just for the gold"...
He told me I would be better off trying to sell it on an outlet like ebay...

Heck, if I cant get what I think it's worth, it's my Sisters birthstone as well as my Mothers.... But I kinda doubt my Mom would ever even wear a ring like that..

So I am debating on the Gemologist in Sarasota.. $30 for an appraisal from him... I really would like to know the carat count of the stone. Jeweler here thought it was 5-6 ct stone..
I dislike smart!@# people like that! If it turns out big time money SS, I would go back in just to snub your nose at her! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread