Beach Machine
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Mar 2010
    Bull Shoals, AR
    MXT - BHID 300
    7 times

Beach Machine

Hi Folks
    I'm in a bit of a dilemma- going to be a winter Texan for about a month this fall and would like to get a decent PI machine for working the coast. Specifically going to be in the Mustang Island/Rockport/Aransas and maybe So.Padre areas. Been looking at Whites BHID & Dual Surf PI but after searching found they have some coil leaking problems although the Dual Surf PI appears to be a popular detector on this forum. Also looked into Tesoro sharks and they seem to still be having problems with no fix on the horizon in the near future. All of these detectors are within my budget and I do like the Whites family since I use an MXT for dry digging. SO, I'm looking for some input on a decent detector and maybe some good places to stay with reasonable monthly rates. It's been several years since the last visit and back then it was really rare to see anybody swinging a detector. Anybody care to throw in some ideas?
    "I wouldn't belong to any organization that would have me as a member"
    Mark Twain

us
    Jul 2010
    Central Florida
    A Propointer tied to a stick
    43 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: Beach Machine

Greetings.

Can't help you much with motel recommendations, but I can maybe help with the detector question.

The Tesoro Sand and Tiger Sharks are out of production right now and are not available. No answer from Tesoro when thats going to change.

As to the Whites Dual Field and BHID, the leaking problems are a thing of the past. For a period, there was a black seal on the units that was leaking, but they changed manufacturers and colors (to orange) and that has apparently fixed the problem. So if you buy a used unit, look out for that black seal! Those still complaining of leaks are usually those who did not close the device properly.

The only other complaint about the White's is the coil, which tends to float and it aggrevates some folks in the surf. I am told there is a weighted coil, but it is not the stock coil. Some tie a sand filled sock around the shaft and that seems to end the problem.

The Dual Field is an excellent PI machine, but it offers no discrimination and is a real iron and bobby pin hog, in addition to providing fantastic depth and sounding off on the really good metals. So a word of warning, be prepared to dig some trash. And be prepared to dig a lot of deep holes.

The same would hold true for the BHID, but it also offers an indicator light which I am told is pretty good at warning you that you have hit iron, but is not perfect (read that: you might not dig a good target).

A lot of people love the Excaliburs because of their iron masking, but at $1300 a pop, they can be a real budget buster. Some have bought the units used for the same money as a new Dual Field, but always beware when buying a used unit. I would also be remiss if I didn't warn you that there have been some operational problems with the Excal II's (knobs falling off, etc.). Not in every case, but often enough to be noted. Getting them fixed and returned from Minelab in a timely manner has also proven extremely difficult for some people. It's sad but true, but a lot of people are willing to risk those problems in order to have a machine that excludes the bad targets and focuses on the better ones.

The other possibility that you should consider is the Garrett Sea Hunter (around $700 I believe), another good PI machine. Their Infinium (also a PI), which retails new for about $1000, apparently offers some tones that help you to identify worthy targets (but not always 100% of the time, so don't dig a target at your own risk).

Ok, I've blabbed enough. Good luck to you!

us
    Mar 2010
    Bull Shoals, AR
    MXT - BHID 300
    7 times

Hi Smudge
    Thank you for the thoughtful response. I'd surely like to stick with Whites since I'm getting such a kick with the MXT. I'm finding that no matter how much research a person does, there's no replacement for getting first hand info. from people who have hands on experience and I'm really leaning heavily toward the BHID or the Dual Field partly due to price considerations and from what I've been able to gather on the net. No way would I ever go with a used water machine although I looked at a couple on ebay that were tempting. Your suggestion about the Garrett Infinium is giving me another avenue to explore. I've got an old Garrett TR made in the early 70's and I've found the folks there good to work with. Thanks again for advise.
    JP
    Mark Twain

us
    MANDAD76

Jun 2008
    BAYTOWN, TEXAS
    SPECTRA V3i/BHID 300
    34 times

I started hunting w/BHID this summer - after hunting w/Whites PI for 17 yrs. I absolutely love the bhid - not as deep as pi - but its as deep as I want to dig - I'm finding plenty good stuff w/it. Guess I'm gettin older and can't hunt/dig as long or hard as I used to - bhid was the answer for me. Good luch whatever you decide. hh

us
    Mar 2010
    Bull Shoals, AR
    MXT - BHID 300
    7 times

hh

Good point - I'm 71 in pretty decent condition still working and manage to get a 3 mile
    walk in almost every day I think I'd be satisfied not digging super deep holes and having to carry one of those super scoopers around all day. Kinda like the idea of the lights on the BHID are you finding they're fairly accurate?
    JP
    Mark Twain

Sponsored Links