TWO rings and a whatsit

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
Finally got back out, first time in a couple of weeks. Hit the tide wrong but it was the only time I could get out. There was an outrigger canoe race so the parking lots were all jammed but not many people in the water, worked out great for me. Hit the gold first, which came in at 4.9 grams of 14k. The tungston got my heart going when I saw it in the scoop, I thought it was plat. Anyway, that has a nice diamond in it and suprisingly costs $370 retail (who would spend that much on tungston when they could get gold cheaper). Last, while digging a pull tab, that tooth (I think) came up in my scoop. Has anyone ever seen one like this? Its razor sharp on the one end. Petty good day, I need to get out more often.

Attachments

• 130.jpg
    130.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 582
  • 131.jpg
    131.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 569
Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
hmmm, have to watch this one & see what the whatsit is. nice ring!

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
The whatsit almost looks like to me a and earring (EXTREME) piercing .

D

digum smacks

looks like just a peice of a broken shell to me .wheres the gold?

OP
OP
U

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
Looking at the stamp on the ring I was trying to figure out what the OB stood for. All I came up with was an old jewlery company called Ostby & Barton. I don't think that is it because everythinh I could find from them was old and very ornate. I'm hoping it doesn't mean that it is plated or something.

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Allright Ryan!!!
Nice finds. :icon_thumleft:
What is the circle item made of? If it is bone or ivory, it could be the remains of an ancient Hawaiian fish hook.
Alec

OP
OP
U

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
Thanks Alec, looks like bone to me. I was thinking it looks lsort of like the item on some of the traditional necklaces. Its definetly natural whatever it is. Any idea on the 14k markings?

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most probably Ostby and Barton... They made a lot of jewelry in the 40's and 50's, and a wedding band could easily be from that time frame...
Nice finds..

HawaiiMDer

Jul 31, 2009
Kapolei, Hawaii
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field and Minelab Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ryan if you don't already know, Kaneohe Marine base has many ancient Hawaiian artifacts. Put it back where you got it if it is indeed bone. The bluffs out there are full of bones, as this is a old burial ground for the ancient Hawaiians. Nice rings brother!!!

Ken

OP
OP
U

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
Thanks Ken, I didn't find it on Base. I found it at Kailua Beach south of the river mouth. I actually think its a tooth of some sort. Thats why I was asking if anyone knew if it camefrom a certain fish or anything. I'll probably put it back anyway, no need to mess with my mojo ;D

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
USMCLion said:
Thanks Ken, I didn't find it on Base. I found it at Kailua Beach south of the river mouth. I actually think its a tooth of some sort. Thats why I was asking if anyone knew if it camefrom a certain fish or anything. I'll probably put it back anyway, no need to mess with my mojo ;D

Aw man...You fell for the old trick to get you to reveal the location of your finds :P.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whatit look like a nose pies. off an old Tarzan movie .

OP
OP
U

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
Da Sand Crab said:
USMCLion said:

Aw man...You fell for the old trick to get you to reveal the location of your finds :P.

Not like its a secret spot Alec. I saw no less than 20 excals go by on Saturday. That spot gets worked over pretty hard, but there is plenty of goodies there if your willing to clean the junk out to get to it. I've got 7 rings in my last 3 trips there. I think the ring to pull tab ratio is 6 mil to 1. I spend a few hours there and didn't get more than 50 yards covered

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
USMCLion said:

Nah, I was just kidding anyway. I would'nt worry about the the crazy bone thing, it's just a thing. Am very happy that you are finding some goodies. I have'nt been going much at all and when I have gone, I've not found anything note worthy.

HawaiiMDer

Jul 31, 2009
Kapolei, Hawaii
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field and Minelab Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Da Sand Crab said:
USMCLion said:

Nah, I was just kidding anyway. I would'nt worry about the the crazy bone thing, it's just a thing. Am very happy that you are finding some goodies. I have'nt been going much at all and when I have gone, I've not found anything note worthy.

You and me both Alec. I haven't been metal detecting for awhile now, been sooooooo busy. South of the river you says huh Ryan? Sometimes i just can't stand mding out there because of allllllll the dang pulltabs!!!!! But, congrats again on the ring finds!!!!!

Ken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread