Question on tides...

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
From the floor to the top of my knee cap it measures 2 feet.

Let's say on one day I detect parallel to the waters edge at a low tide of 0.0 feet - right where the water touches the sand (let's assume no wave action).

Would I be detecting approximately this same line if I waded out to the top of my knees at a low tide of +2.0 feet and walked parallel to the shore?

My guess is YES.

Probably a really dumb question, but I just want to make sure I am understanding tide heights correctly.

Jim

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you sink a 6 foot post in the ground at the beach and mark the water line at low tide of 0.0 in the water, a low tide of +2.0 would be 2 feet higher up the post and a -2.0 would be 2 foot lower on the post. This is based on the mean tide line. Many things can effect the water line in general. A steep beach will not allow the tide to come in as far as a flat beach, a strong wind blowing offshore would push the tide line further out and a strong onshore wind would push it further in. A stong 20-40 mph wind can change the tides +/- 6-12 inches or more depending on the wind direction in relation to the shore line.

A stong offshore wind, with a strong negative tide is a good thing as it allows you to hunt further out where it is normaly too deep to hunt with out scuba tanks, and fighting the tendency to float up when you try to sink your scoop in the ground to dig.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tides can be hard for landlubbers to wrap their heads around, but Treasure Hunter explained it well. Another place you can check is http://www.yachting-life.net/new index/frames/tides_frame.htm

Learn to use the tide tables or just learn how the tide affect your beach. When you travel around to different beaches is when you really need to be up on how tides work and the tables. Or just do as I did, hit it when you can. :read2:

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Sandman said:
Or just do as I did, hit it when you can. :read2:

Thanks for the reply. Your last comment is actually something else I'm curious about...

How man of you worry about the tides, versus doing what Sandman does and "just hit it when you can"?

Jim

excal/pirate

Jan 28, 2009
time4me said:
Sandman said:
Or just do as I did, hit it when you can. :read2:

Thanks for the reply. Your last comment is actually something else I'm curious about...

How man of you worry about the tides, versus doing what Sandman does and "just hit it when you can"?

Jim
time of tides is very important ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread