Chemical way to clean corroded coins for use again.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Chemical way to clean corroded coins for use again.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    abrakdabra

Chemical way to clean corroded coins for use again.

Hey,
    I've found, and continue to find, heaps of corroded coins at the beach. They're green/red. They're just coins, nothing collectable. I have no clue how to chemically get them silver again, their normal colour, to use like any other coin in shops. Tried bleach but they went from green/red to black. Since they're nothing special, just coins, an electrolytic method is dumb. Any of you alchemists know how to chemically clean them? Yours truly, 'in need of bus fare'/'will detect for food'.

us
    Aug 2004
    Pickens Co. S.C.
    Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
    16 times
    Metal Detecting, Prospecting

Re: Chemical way to clean corroded coins for use again.

Most of my clad coins I just get the dirt off and spend spend spend! If they are'nt too bad you can use the vinigar and tin foil method. Good luck and HH! Chris
    "Today's the day" Mel Fisher
    " Argue for your limitations and they become yours" Abraham Lincoln
    "You just bought WHAT?!!" My wife

Sep 2004
    Omaha, NE
    3 times

Buy a rock tumbler from Harbor Freight Tools. You can get a single drum tumbler for about $30 or a double drum tumbler for about $50. I used to spend hours cleaning coins by hand with limited results until recently I bought a single drum tumbler and it works great. Fill the drum about half to three quarters full of coins then add enough sand to cover the coins. Tap the drum against a firm surface (counter, table, floor, etc.) to settle the sand into the coins and down to the bottom. When sand and coins are about evenly mixed add Simple Green cleaner and water until you can see it near the top of the coins. Close, place on tumbler, turn it on and let it run for about three or four hours (or all day/night if you want). When done you need a vegetable strainer/collander (anything that will retain the coins while letting the sand and water pass through) and a water hose. Take these items and the drum outdoors, dump coins into stainer/collander, and rinse with water while swirling coins to remove all sand. When done, take coins inside and lay out on a towel to dry. I usually lay them out in rows according to denomination making them easy to count. You may have some coins that are really stubborn. These can be thrown back into the tumbler with the next batch. If you don't have a local Harbor Freight Tools nearby you can find them online at www.harborfreighttools.com. By the way don't try this with coins that may be valuable and I've heard you shouldn't mix silver coins with copper coins. Hope this helps. HH
    It is better to try something and fail...Than to try nothing and succeed. Dr Robert Schuller
    You can wait for things to happen by chance...Or you can make things happen by choice. Said by me.
    Improvise, adapt and overcome. Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge

abrakdabra

Thanks, hunters
    More coins today, corroded green/red. And a ring, maybe silver with jade, haven't really looked at the 'haul' yet. Will wait 'til I get back to the 'vault'
    Happy hunting

May 2003
    Sunny Southern CA Coast
    Minelab Sovereign
    131 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

You can get plain white vinegar from the store-- its diluted to 5%. It takes longer than muriatic (hydrochloric) acid, but is less dangerous. You might keep some baking soda around for spills, too.
    "...and then I will finally be able to take over the world!"
    - Brain, in 'Pinky and the Brain'

-- Rattus Labyrinthicus

abrakdabra

Vinegar, good idea, nice and natural . Think I'll try that first, take as long as it takes. Fumes from varnish from making boomerangs, my other hobby, are enough 'mother of all chemicals'. Want to be ninety and waving my wand in public, er md'er .

us
    FlAuthor

Aug 2004
    Minneola, FL
    Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
    187 times

With clad coins, I will use my rock tumbler to get the worse off of the coins. If they are still grungy then I use a pair of vise grips and fire up my grinder with its wire wheel. Don't use this method on collectibles only clads.
    Harry
    9 books authored: Forts, Camps & Batteries of Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Pennsylvania next to be released, Ohio rereleased April and Virginia, New, released in April. Next book series will be North & South Carolina.

Where to Metal Detect in Central Florida and South Florida. All books formerly available at Kellyco are out of print. They will be available as they are redone and made available on Victoria Rhine Facebook page. Watch that for the releases. Currently working on researching Kentucky. Thank you.

Budjeep

Try Electrolysis it is the best way I have found to clean beach coins that are corroded.
    It is very easy to do .

us
    Apr 2003
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
    6 times

I use a rock tumbler, the cheap kind that kids often get. Holds a handful of coins, then I use small pebbles with water and a bit of detergent, and it ususally cleans then fine in about 4 hours.
    The original Ct. Treasureman.
    Nutmeg Treasure Hunters.

Darod

I like California Seeker's method the best

Rod

histoplasmosis

LoL

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Ays

May 2004
    Satellite Beach
    Minelab Excal 1000
    142 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Do not use Electrolysis on modern clad coins, you will end up with a mess on your hands, and will not be happy with the results. Electrolysis will pull the copper to the surface of the coin. Use the vinegar method if you suspect the coin to be of some possible value, if not then the tumbler will work just fine. Remember that the value of old coins is not just in the age, but the condition will be what actually determines it market value.

Q

histoplasmosis

Soda machines work wonders. So does coinstar gives you nice shinny coins back if you ask the lady nicely. Allthough she'll look at you funny for cashing in coins for coins.

Jan 2005

California Seeker, you are one funny dude... made me laugh out loud! Sometimes the easiest methods are right in front of us and we never even consider it...

Darod

i had read somewhere that hydrogen peroxide were's well too?!

Has anyone tried this method?

Rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links