My experiences since going into the water..

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short story, ya all know I just started recently overcoming my fear of the ocean.. soooo, brave heart that I am.. thinking to myself, oh yea I can do this, this is awesome, its fun, it cools ya off.. BUT... the last few days have been kinda rough, getting knocked on my butt by a huge wave, yes, I cracked up laughing on that one.. constantly looking like I peed myself..omg I hate wet shorts... then today, low tide, cool beans I said to myself..rainning today.. basically almost had the beach to myself.. so out I go, bee line into the water, having a good ole time, then all the sudden something bumps into my leg, I was only knee deep I look down and it was a fish.. I DANG NEAR WALKED no MAKE THAT RUN ONTOP OF THE WATER to get outta the water.. so I calmed down said it was just a silly little fish, so am cruising along the waters edge, getting ready to go back in and I see a dead fish, I go up to check it out cause I thought it was alive and if so was gonna put it in deeper waters, but it was dead..it was a strange spiked fish.. had spikes all over it.. THAT was all I needed to see..but I said ahh the heck with it and still went back in.. but you can betcha I was watching big time in the water.. so thats my experiences so far... and my hair didnt turn all gray yet.. phew.

Upvote 0

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like it

puffer_600.jpg

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And they dont eat people... LOL..
You can pick them up without harm if you do it gently.. No poison, etc.. Just spiky..
Why are you so afraid of the ocean? Did you watch Jaws a few too many times or something??

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I HEAR YA! I don't have the fear of the water that you have and I applaude your courage in getting in. I am not a brave person either and every little shadow or ripple or sound has me looking. You have no idea how long it took for me to not freak out when a manatee came near me. I mean you usually don't even see them until they are right next to you and they are so darn BIG! The dolphins scare me. You see those fins and ..... JAWS comes to mind right off the bat until you get a hold of your self and realize that they won't hurt you but then again...... will they? I've seen many tv shows where they can kill a shark and dolphins are pretty darn big too. Especially when you see a fin and it's heading right towards you and there is no way you can get out of the water fast. AND THATS THE STUFF YOU CAN SEE! I just saw a show about whale sharks being spotted in the gulf. Now I KNOW that they are really big and I'm not going to encounter one of those but..... what about some of the other things that are out there that you don't see. You have no idea what is close to you when you are out in the water. You (or at least I do) get so involved in what you are doing that you don't pay attention to what is around you. I try to always pay attention to my surroundings but you and I both know that sometimes.... just sometimes you are only concerned with the next "sound" coming from your machine. I don't mean to scare you anymore than you already are. I only mean to tell you that lots of us feel the same way and I think you are very brave to overcome your fear. WTG! Just try to be careful out there. :wink:

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
And they dont eat people... LOL..
You can pick them up without harm if you do it gently.. No poison, etc.. Just spiky..
Why are you so afraid of the ocean? Did you watch Jaws a few too many times or something??

I am 57 yrs old SS, this summer is the first time I have ever been in the Ocean past my ankles, I was 7 yrs. old, in Atlantic City, NJ, my Granny would take me every weekend by bus to AC.. well, one day on the beach, everyone was screaming and yelling, beings a lil kid, I wandered over where the crowd had gathered, I scooted in and out of them till I got to see what was causing all the ruckus.. I saw nothing but blood everywheres, a person had been attacked by a shark, thats all it took, from that day on.. till this summer, I have never been able to get into the water..It wasn't the Jaws movies..it was just me seeing it in real life on how god awful a shark attack can be and I dont even know if that person was alive or dead. so thats my fear that I sorta overcame this summer.. but I am constantly on guard..

Bill...it was a puffer thats exactly what it looked like.. lol..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rae I am way older than you and even today I remember the things that would bump me while diving in murky water. Then years later I saw JAWS and the music stayed with me. You are in more danger crossing the street today. Just learn what you can about the critters you might encounter out there while looking for fun.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
i love hunting the water (fresh water lakes that is).....i dont live by fresh water any more so im forced to hunt the Ocean.last year while in the water waste deep i felt something shaking my Excal coil and raised it up out of the water and there was a small 15" shark hung in the coil.it fell out and after i got my breath back,i went about 20 yards and looked ahead of me about 8' there was a manta as big as the hood on a 55 chevy coming right at me..now i can tell you if i hadnt had my new wet suit on im sure i would have soiled them! i back peddled so hard my Croc shoes stuck in the sand about a foot deep and came off my feet! the commotion i made scared the h$#^ out of the manta and when it turned toward deep water the wake it made knocked me down. after i got my shoes back i didnt go back in the water for 2 months..i see sharks swimming along the shore all the time they are only about 2' long but my grand kids and i have cought many sharks while fishing off the beach. one was 4' long and a bunch of teeth!!! so i know they are there. i hope as the water cools off to around 65* they will leave! im just never comfortable in the Ocean where i cant see the bottom and here on the East coast its murky till you get out past the breakers and thats too far for me!

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
maybe thers safety in numbers but i always imagine

the sharks talking...not that one.

THE BIG JUICY ONE

like many maybe i always feel safer when others

are in the water.

its when im out there by my lonesome that i feel most

vulnerable.

which since im a snowbird, is almost all the time

due to the cold seas in jan. and feb

i will do hunting parrallel to shore looking for any troughs.

its when the wife wants me to stay close and im hunting out n back.

perpendicular to shore that i get the willies.

and a course an the most interesting hard to get targets are right at earphones deep.

Aug 20, 2010
Detector(s) used
Excal , Etrac
Attack of the Manatee

Hey booty no guts no Glory. Its great you are over coming your fear, we all get that some times, your not alone. One time on the lowest tide i have ever seen i was hundreds of yards out, it was crazy low, muddy water and i could see some fins popping up near the jetty in the distance. So i was a little on edge to begin with. Then a manatee comes up behind me and bumps me from the back, letting out a big gasp of air. I turn back and all i see is 8 foot of dark menacing blob. All he was doing was checking me out, pretty scary for a few seconds. Keep hunting and just think of all the cool finds and not the fins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread