Excaliburs being unable to hunt close to each other, is this normal?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always hunted water by myself. Recently my friend got an Excalibur as well and we went out together to do some detecting this weekend. We couldn't get within 30 or 40 feet of each other without both of our machines just becoming useless with constant tones coming out of them

So my question is, is this normal? Or is there some kind of way around this?

Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Normal it it just interference between units!!!! can happen on different brands operating on the same frequency!!!

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Yep that's interference for you. The units are getting feedback that is unexpected i.e. not at the same freq, phase, timings etc of the signal that it just transmitted into the soil. I am unsure of the distance of the interference but this will vary from unit to unit. Just shows how much power they actually put out :o HH, OD

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is normal now it seems. It isn't just between Excal's but a lot of different detectors can't get near each other, expecially the same brands.

miller433

Jun 29, 2010
N.E. Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 800, Soveriegn GT, Garrett 1500, Garrett Ace
In years past my hunting partner used a Fisher and I used my Excal, I never had any problem unless we were real close. On my last trip he used my Soveriegn and we couldn't get closer than 25-30 ft without interference. Now my friend uses a different water detector and he can't get within 15 ft of my Excal but I don't have any problems. I don't really understand it but that's how it works for me.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try getting close to an Excal with the Surf Dual PI.... Snooksion was driving me crazy a few weeks back whenever he would get close.... WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH... "TURN THAT THING OFF WILL YA"... LOL..

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, well I guess this is the norm then. Thanks guys. We are just so used to hunting within 5 feet of each other with our Explorers that we just sort of assumed we could do the same thing with the Excals.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I allways have to turn off the machine when I stop to talk to another Excal user.
One time I forgot to turn it back on againfor an hour...

Tek

lowtones

Aug 19, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur , Explorer 2 ,Soverign elite,
Which excal are you using. i have hunted with 2 other buddies with the older units and we are within 20 to 25 feet of each other and i have never picked up interference with them. they also had the same excal as i did
lowtones83

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread