pull tab notched out on mxt

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Hi all. Went to the local beach today with my new mxt. It has a pull tab notch out feature that I am not sure how it works. I know if you push the trigger forward, it's supposed to ignore pull tabs. Does this really work? It does'nt seem to on mine. Pull tabs look the same to the detector weather the trigger is in the notch out position or not. Could I be doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with the detector, or is this feature overated? Any mxt users out there please let me know! ???

Upvote 0

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
I'm not familiar with your particular model as I own a Garrett GTI2500 (my first and only detector so far). With mine I can set descrimination to ignore pull tabs but I'm not sure you would really want to especially on the beach as some gold items tend to show as pull tabs and therefore you may be missing them as well. I know they are a pain in the arse but I would continue to dig them anyway. It's only a matter of time before you the good stuff. HH.

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Thanks nedigger, Those pesky pull tabs are a pain! I am just so new to this hobby (total of about 4 hrs. detecting time) , that I don't know if it's the machine or me thats at fault. I did some testing on the lawn with pulltabs, nickles, rings, etc. and it does seem that pull tabs ,gold rings, and nickles all look about the same!! Oh well, I guess I need more experience with it, I did manage to find about 4 dollars in clad, so I am not too discouraged. ;D. But it would be nice to know if my notch out is working on my mxt..

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on the new machine!? It isn't super complicated, but it will take time to learn it well.? I've found with most machines that gold rings often fall in the pull-tab range.? If you discriminate those tabs out, you might be passing up good stuff.? I typically only discriminate in really trashy areas where I don't have the time to dig everything.? Especially on a beach where digging is fairly easy.

When I learn a new machine, I 'll spend the first couple months digging everything.? It is tedious when there is a lot of trash, but you will learn a lot about your machine, and in the long run it will help you become much more efficient at weeding out the trash.? As you dig everything, pay attention to what the signals tell you and maybe keep track of what you find and what the signals are in a notebook.? After a week or so of doing this, go back and re-read the manual, and you'll have a better understanding of exactly how to tweak your knobs how you like.? Be patient-- you'll be finding goodies along the way! And we are looking forward to those wonderful pix we just -know- ypou're going to post!

What part of the world are you hunting in?

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Thank you for the input Labrat.. I have been kinda doing that, digging everything that is. But it gets annoying after awhile. But, thanks to reading all the posts on this forum I realize that its all part of THing. Patience and determination are key. I'll keep at it. I have plenty of patience and determination! As I love fishing! Kinda the same thing only on land.
One other thing I've learned reading this forum, .. When Lab Rat talks, I listen!
Thanks again.
Oh, I'm in southern CA

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the 'plug', and best of luck to you! Who knows? Maybe we'll cross paths out on the sand sometime! 8)

BenVA

Sep 16, 2003
SW VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 2 MXT's and honestly you are probably going to dig lots of pulltabs if you want to find nickels and gold. Lots of pulltabs especially the newer ones will read lower and be in the nickel range. I thought something might be wrong with my machine when I tried to notch the pulltabs, then I tried my wifes MXT and it does the same way. It gets agravating digging them, but if you dont you will miss some good stuff. BenVA

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Thanks BenVA. At least I know my machine aint broke. Man you'd think with all this new technology, they'd come up with a way to tell the difference between gold and aluminum! ??? Im not complaining though. Having a blast with this new hobby. Its very addicting!

M

mike in tx

Ben is absolutely right. If you set your discrimination high enough to reject pull tabs, you won't get a reading on most gold. You can set it a little above the nickel reject and discriminate the small pull tabs, but you're taking a chance. I always like to hunt coins and jewelry in the relic mode with the trigger forward for the higher sound when you pass over good targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions