First time beach hunter

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we knew what detector you were using we could help more. About any machine will work on the dry sand but it is the wet stuff where it will have trouble.

Dig everything in all metal unless you have a Minelab which won't respond to small iron and will on everything else.

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
I highly recommend getting a scoop if you don't have one. Long handled ones are the best. The few hours before low tide are the best as you can follow the tide out. The wet sand is a good area to detect. However, as noted above, the detector that you plan on using is important.

OP
OP
matters

matters

Nov 9, 2009
Eastern WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
I will be using a Minelab x-terra 50. I don't know how well she will like the salt water.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PFD if you are in the water!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your X-Terra will do great on dry and wet sand. It is very dangerous to take it into the water. You must keep the control box dry at all costs, otherwise your circuitry will get fried (not a warranty repair either I believe). Remember, there are rogue waves, so even if the wave action is calm when you wade in does not mean it will stay that way.

Get yourself a good sandscoop (long handle if you can afford it) and a mesh pouch if you can.

That's all. Just fill in your holes when your done and have fun.

OP
OP
matters

matters

Nov 9, 2009
Eastern WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
Thanks for the input. Not really planning on detecting out in the water much. Probally not much over my ankles. Are there features on the shoreline I should look for?

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Read back through the pages of threads here and/or do a search for "beach tips" etc.

The xterra's tend to do a lot of falsing when the coil hits the surf.You can try it by all means,just don't hope for much.Best to just stick to wet and dry sand. Don't forget to do the dunes if any..lots of people lie there,sunbathers,lovers,romantic sunset/rise types etc etc.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Yeah...I'd watch the weather channel. Looks like that BIG Cat. 4 Hurricane is heading that way. Be safe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread