Is it wrong?

miller433

Jun 29, 2010
N.E. Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 800, Soveriegn GT, Garrett 1500, Garrett Ace
Is it wrong to show up for a MD trip with, unannounced, major modifications to your detector?? Just starting on our trip, I had my friend pull a shirt from the back uncovering the 15" WOT I had just attached to my Excal. Between the new coil and the new earphones I think he thought I was taking advantage of him.
By the way, Thanks to all those that answered questions about these mod's! The headphones ($5.99 from Harbor Freight) completely removed my wind problems, even with only one ear covered. The WOT speaks for itself, Pics to follow as soon as I get them off my camera.

Upvote 0

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People I hunt with were shocked when I showed up with an 18" excellerator... they said they didn't have a chance... :laughing7:

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
IMHO, No it's not wrong!!!! When I read your title heading, I thought you were going to ask, "Is it wrong to show up with three friends unannounced to go to your buddy's secret hunting spot?" Yes, that would be very wrong..... But not modifying your equipment. ??? But why keep it a secret ??? In fact I think it is a great idea to have different equipment on the same hunt so if you get an iffy signal with your monster coil, you can call your buddy over and see if their detector would have seen the target or not, then dig it up an see what it is together. Share the fun. Or if they find a small gold object they can call you over to see if your monster coil can see things that small. It would have been nice to share your adventure in obtaining and attaching your new coil to your detector with your buddy rather than keeping it a secret. Maybe it is not the new coil that your buddy has a problem with but the motive behind keeping it a secret.?.? My mother-in-law likes secrets and surprises. One time she drove from New Jersey to Kentucky to see my wife and I for a weekend visit. It was a secret..... If she had arrived 10 minutes later we would have been gone for the weekend. Wouldn't she have been surprised to come all that way and then have to turn around and drive home without seeing us, because she wanted it to be a surprise. What is the point? A joy shared is multiplied, a burden shared is lightened. Secrets often backfire........ Okay, I am off my soap box. I didn't know I was going there when I started this. Hope your WOT coil works out for ya. Ralph

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miller433 is a prankster, a sneak, and a very mischievous fellow, all being attributes that I personally admire about the man. We always have a lot of fun on our trips. Now about this new WOT setup of his, you see, it's all about the game with him, he builds up his excall with a WOT because he knows I'll have to try to respond with something bigger and better, (or at least it's equal), which is going to be nearly impossible to do. However,..................."I'm already making phone calls and working on it!" :laughing7:

D

digum smacks

it would be fine by me.i still will find more gold than you,no matter what rig you use :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snooksion2 said:
it would be fine by me.i still will find more gold than you,no matter what rig you use :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

For now I bid you....... :notworthy:
But nothing stays top dog forever! :laughing7:

OP
OP
miller433

miller433

Jun 29, 2010
N.E. Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 800, Soveriegn GT, Garrett 1500, Garrett Ace
I should say I really didn't try and sneak one in on Big Scoop. I had planned to have the WOT in advance of our trip, in fact I paid quite a bit to do that, but it didn't arrive until the Friday before we left. The last thing I wanted to do was leave on a trip with an unproven set up. We had a lot of fun exploring with the new coil, even though somehow I always ended up being the one in the deep (cold) water. We even came home with some gold, although it all came on the last day. I can now dig very deep bottle caps with the best of them.

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
Its only wrong when you show up to their place with an Ocean Dreadge. Then you maybe taking advantage of them a little. lol You did nothing wrong. Hope you had fun.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: I wouldn't show up at a shooting event with my scoped .50 cal to use on 150 yard targets but showing off a new modification on my open iron sighted 30-06 would be fun. A Howitzer might be a bit of overkill. likewise, if one of my friends showed up at our underwater hunt with some advanced UW device I would be wanting to see how much better it really was. How much was the conversion? Can it be modified to dig the hole as well as show me what's in it? Will it fetch?
People who object to improvements will remain in caves and digging roots with a piece of bone or a stick. Meantime you develope a front end loader and cover their cave entrance. :laughing9:
Go for it! Keep modifying and keep finding the gold while they dig clad and caps. I don't mind improvements, come hunt with us anytime. :laughing7:

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: Petersra, My kids dropped in unannounced two weeks ago. They drove 1500 miles and called from 140 miles away. We were out of town. SURPRISE! Yup, I love unannounced guests. Especially when I'm not home. I keep telling friends and relatives to call ahead a couple of weeks to see if we have other plans but they seem to think that living on a boat means I'm always home. I may be but home moves at whim.
Sorry about the diversion, Now, back to our topic!
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was just getting even for the time when I took him surf fishing before sunup.........."On a nude beach!"
Man, you should have seen his face once the sunbathers started showing up! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread