Do you hunt barefoot or beach shoes?

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Coin finder asked if we wore glasses while TH'ing. So let me ask "Do you hunt barefoot or do you wear a water shoe?". Personally I wear SCUBA boots because after finding broken glass, sharp pieces of metal and big fish hooks in my scoop, I don't leave home without a pair. ;D I have a nice scar on my right foot I got as a child when I stepped on a broken beer bottle in the water while swimming. :o :'(

Upvote 0

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Dive boots for me. When I first started out I went in barefooted but I learned very quickly that that is not a good idea. Then I graduated to beach shoes. Again those didn't work out very well. Too much sand got inside and they were not comfortable for a long period of time. Finally I took the advice I saw on here years ago and bought a pair of dive boots. My gosh what a difference! I love them! Yeah they cost a little but they last a long long time and are worth every penny spent on them. My zippers finally gave out and I took the boots to two different shoe repair shops to get new ones put in. Neither one would do it. The boots are still in pretty good shape other than the zippers - so first I tried just using tape to close them but that was a pain in the ... Next I had my husband put some grommets in them. I bought some boot shoe strings and now I just tie them like I would a regular pair of boots. I'm not pretty but .... it works and they will last for quite a while yet. YEP, it's dive boots for me! :wink:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I where dive boots

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beach shoes are a must. Once you've dug a couple of giant fish hooks, you'll understand why. :wink:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to wear dive boots but now wear fishermans wading boots as they are sturdy and offer more protection and comfort for walking. Only problem with them is they have brass nails so it sets off the Excal if I get to close but is also good for resetting it.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Chota flats boots for general hunting, stingray beaches - Chota Kevlar flats boots (no longer made) with ray guards (and glasses so I don't get lost) :laughing7: :laughing7:

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Sandman said:
I used to wear dive boots but now wear fishermans wading boots as they are sturdy and offer more protection and comfort for walking. Only problem with them is they have brass nails so it sets off the Excal if I get to close but is also good for resetting it.

No nails in Choda's

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had some wading boots, but they wore out, so crocks til I get a new pair... really need them to push the scoop in, too hard on the feet. I wear rubber boots in the winter so I don't get my feet wet.

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Most of the time I wear TEVA sandals, love them, the older and cheaper (but better) style (hard to find nowadays). There were times when I used to wear them 24/7. In cold water I usually wear dive booties, if deep in very cold water it's a drysuit.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teva's for me too.... I tried "water shoes", but they fill with sand way too fast. Then tried diving "socks" that have a felt bottom, also fill with sand too quickly....
As far as stingrays, I have been seeing a lot of them lately, but kick them up with the coil while sweeping.. I dont see how you could get hit by one if you are sweeping the coil over them... Had one pretty big one a couple weeks ago "strike" the shaft, if the shaft would have been my leg I probably would have taken the barb, but again, if you are sweeping very close to the bottom, I highly doubt they would lie there and let you step on them..

I'd be curious to know if any water hunter has actually gotten hit while hunting... And if so, were they walking to where they wanted to hunt, or were they sweeping in front of themselves..

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would suggest not stepping backward, like in losing your balance and then recovering.

One experience I had was losing my balance and putting my foot back to recover balance. As I brought my foot back to where it was originally, I stepped on a ray.
(did not shuffle).
Lucky me,... It did not stab me.

I found out later that rays will sometimes follow you as you are stirring up the sand. (looking for food).

Ray guards are now mandatory for me at at all times in the water.
I am extra cautious starting at the first small step off at the shore line.

HTH

Ralph

i

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I know I shouldn't but I hunt barefoot, mostly cause I have foot problems and am most comfortable barefoot. Today I tried someone's dive boots though and now I think I'll get a pair.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep See Manta dive boots...they're nice. Niffler

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Definitely dive boots or shoes, in or out of the water. I get blisters walking too far on the sand in bare feet. I guess I am just a tender footed guy. ::) Ralph

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Its interesting to see your responses ;) Where I live the weather and water is hot most of the year at the Eastern coasts, and I generally only wear a pair of beach shorts while detecting. Mostly for comfort, but my girlfriend also comes along most of the times and we spend some time relaxing too. I have recently found out the holes in the back-plate of my scoop damage the skin on my big toes after a few consecutive days hunting! Also, when water hunting I would prefer some dive booties when clearing away the top layer of sand by foot. You never know what you can expect! So I guess it'll be a pair of booties for me soon... I think those rubberised full-foot sandals could also work if you dont mind the sand in them... :tongue3:
HH!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old tennis shoes and socks! would rather go barefoot because i like to feel the sand but i need the shoes to be able to push the scoop in!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread