Cocoa Beach Groundhog

FunInTheSun

Greenie
Aug 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Excalibur 1000, Sovereign GT, Vibraprobe
Went to Cocoa Beach this morning to try and recover some lost jewelry from Labor Day. There were 3 others there who had the same idea, but one guy was leaving large woodchuck holes all over the beach. He never filled a single one. High tide was at about 7:00 am and he hit the beach at 8:30. Because the tide was going OUT not IN, all of his holes made a mess and would remain there for the next 10 or so hours. As you looked down the beach it looked like a bombing range. I didn't have a camera, or I would have posted a photo.

This is a perfect example of why local ordinances are created to ban metal detecting. What if one of the Cocoa Beach or Brevard County board members was at the beach today and saw that? At the next board meeting, they mention what they saw, and a few meetings later, they pass an ordinance banning all metal detecting in their parks. Now I'm not saying that will happen, but it is how these things get started. One inconsiderate guy too lazy to fill his holes and BAM....no more metal detecting for the rest of us. And once those ordinances get into place, no one remembers why, but they figure there must be a good reason, so they never get repealed.

Fill your holes guys, even on the beach. It presents a better public image for all of us. Thank you.

Upvote 0

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
AMEN!! I see it done all the time and it ------ me off. I usually end up filling them in myself.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go out there just about every weekend and fill in every hole like I'm being watched and graded. I don't know who this guy is, but somebody needs to talk to him and fast. Do you remember what he looked like?

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you or you and the two others should have confronted him(nicely at first)!!!!!!!

OP
OP
F

FunInTheSun

Greenie
Aug 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Yes, the people on the beach are curious and they watch us. Then when they see someone leaving NUMEROUS holes, they share it with someone else, maybe at work, and usually in a negative way. Things get passed on and you never know the end result.

I always fill my holes, in any public place. All it would take is for a jogger to twist their ankle and the police would be all over us.

To answer your question, I could identify the person, but couldn't put it into words. He was using an Excal 1000 with a 15" WOT coil. Maybe he'll see this and recognize his sins.

To all who do fill their holes, thanks for the extra effort.

OP
OP
F

FunInTheSun

Greenie
Aug 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Seeker,

I spoke to him when he first hit the beach. He was not a very friendly person. He went north, toward the 3rd detectorist. I went south. When I reached my limits, I turned around and headed north again. That's when I saw the woodchuck holes.

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Yep I would take him on as soon as possible. Gather other detectorists if need be and head over, in a nice way of course. The sooner the better for all you guys and girls. HH!

Mitch1FL

Oct 6, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI1500/AT-Pro/Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was there I would have talked to him about it. But I might already know who it is. What kind of detector and scoop was he using...?

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was hunting a Florida park on day and got yelled at by a groundskeeper for all the holes that were left on their manicured lawn. I let him vent just enough before I interupted him and asked him if he'd like to meet the culprit. Yes sir, where is the guy? He walked with me over about 50 yards and I pointed to the offender - 3 Armadillo's digging in his manicured lawn for their meal. All the holes were the same size and I spotted the critters as I enterred the field. The groundskeeper was embarrassed and apologized and told me to enjoy my stay. There is a moral to the story but right now I can't think of it. ;D :icon_thumleft:

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the same thing happen to me at a park, and I was lucky enough to be able to take him over to the culprit at that time.... Squirrel... He couldnt believe they could dig such big holes, so I was glad he was able to see it for himself... Now if we could just teach them to back fill their holes?? LOL!

I always fill my holes on the beach, but the funny thing about this is that people WOULD bitch about us not filling in our holes, but no one seems to mind when kids/parents dig huge holes and leave them open...
It sadly seems that people are just looking for reasons to not like metal detectorists... Just sayin... Not one outing without quite a few people giving me the "what a POS" look... I really cant figure out why..

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Pictures or even video will help on these people, post them on all the forums..nothing like been famous for something like that, even a nice close up as your telling him to fill the holes....

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Not one outing without quite a few people giving me the "what a POS" look... I really cant figure out why.."

aint it the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!! they practically point and giggle! (makes me want to "scoop" there heads)

they think were wierd, goofy, thiefs etc: and they would ban us from the beach in a heartbeat if they could!!!!!!! so lets not give them any ammunition! and TRY to stop others from doing so!

tractorman

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2009
I hope nobody ASSociates this guy with me, I also use WOT on excal, But nobody has my yellow handled scoop and I always fill in. Would like to know who he is, as I havent seen a lot of WOTS in Cocoa.

DanFL1962

Jan 8, 2010
Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & BHID
Primary Interest:
I can vouch for Tractorman. Crossed paths with him on the beach a few months ago. We spoke for an hour or so. He's a pro and gave me a lot of good pointers. He's definitely NOT the Groundhog.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Sloppy work ! I would double check his holes for missed items.

Tek

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
petersra said:
AMEN!! I see it done all the time and it ------ me off. I usually end up filling them in myself.

petersra, I don't mean to pry but are you in or around Charleston? I've read some of your post and figure you're probably pretty close. While I lived there IOP was implementing an ordinance to fine people for leaving holes on the beach there. Got a lot of people spun up. I think an IOP copper fell into a hole while walking the beach one night or something crazy. But these are holes that the kids dig so big that you could put a dang beach chair in. Not scoop holes. Who metal detects and leaves craters? :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread