Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To all you beach hunters out there:

I'm using a nylon belt for my beach hunting, but it's kind of small and after you attach the detector control box, the pouch and the water bottle, the whole thing wants to slide off.

Does anyone know where to get a good belt and harness setup for the beach that will allow me to comfortably carry this stuff?

Any input and/or links would be really appreciated.

P.S., I've tried a couple of outdoor and surplus stores, but can't find anything.

Upvote 0

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you're brave to be hip mounting you Sand Shark right now. :o

Mitch1FL

Oct 6, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI1500/AT-Pro/Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had gotten a great setup from the sporting section of Walmart. I went to get an extra belt a few months ago but they no longer carried it here in Sebastian. You might want to check the store closest to you.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
firstbiggestmost said:

How come? :icon_scratch:

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
firstbiggestmost said:

Hey Smudge, It just seems like a lot of extra risk of damage to the coil cable and the all important waterproof connector that is no longer in production. If you like hunting with your current setup it would be wise to do everything you can to protect your cable and connectors from harm. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
firstbiggestmost said:
Smudge said:
firstbiggestmost said:

Hey Smudge, It just seems like a lot of extra risk of damage to the coil cable and the all important waterproof connector that is no longer in production. If you like hunting with your current setup it would be wise to do everything you can to protect your cable and connectors from harm. :icon_thumright:

Got it. Yes, protecting the coil is my biggest concern. :icon_thumleft:

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the fastest way is to buy one of these

if they are available in your area.................i got 3 from army /navy store he locally.

but most of the time i make mine from 1" nylon belting...............glue together and take to a shoe repair place and have them sew it together.

i have a buddy, and his wife made his.................u see the dive knife?
HARNESS1.jpg

HARNESS2.jpg

HARNESS1-1.jpg

fastharness2.jpg

HARNESS2.jpg

harn1.jpg

G L U E
harn5.jpg

my buddies rig

rdiharness1.jpg

rdiharness2.jpg

rdiharness3.jpg

rdiharness4.jpg

rdiharness5.jpg

most of us here mount ours on our back on belt................sometimes i chest mount also.......sometimes........same harness
maxatnight.jpg

harness1.jpg

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Smudge said:
firstbiggestmost said:
Smudge said:
firstbiggestmost said:

Got it. Yes, protecting the coil is my biggest concern. :icon_thumleft:

Smudge, I have a Tiger Shark. Love the lifetime warranty. However, it does not cover damage to the cable when you mount the control box off the shaft. (in the warranty fine print) Due to the flexing at the control box connection, I broke an internal cable wire, only to determine the damage was not covered under the warranty. :'( So, being the cheapskate that I am, I painstakingly cut the connector apart, shortened the wire and soldered the wires onto the back side of the pins. Obviously, what I had was no longer waterproof, but it worked..... After several failed attempts with silicone caulking, I ended up slipping the connection inside a section of PVC pipe and casting a flexible epoxy around it. It has worked so far and remained waterproof...... Point is, the connection at the control box will not stand up to constant flexing as you swing the detector. I was later told by Tesoro that I should have fastened the cable to the control box some how so it would swing free and not flex at the control box. Hope this helps. And good luck with your Shark. Ralph

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me add this

when i owned a tiger shark, chest mounted it................i did not use that pain in the ass belt rig they supply.......i tossed it in trash can.................got me a piece of plastic and more 1" nylon belting and made this rig

Attachments

• CHESTMOUNTEDTIGER1.jpg
    CHESTMOUNTEDTIGER1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 335
  • CHESTMOUNTEDTIGER2.jpg
    CHESTMOUNTEDTIGER2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 354
OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to everyone for their input. You have given me a lot to consider. :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use a SCUBA weight belt for my detecting needs. Its easily adjustable and if you need to get out of it quickly, pop the latch and off it coes. :headbang: :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Max that is a nice set up for the Tiger Shark you made. I mounted mine in a bag with the bottom resewed acound the cables. If you tape the coil cable up along side of the shaft you have enough slack to tuck the cable in at your belt to stop any flexing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions