The wife use to let me MD, now she makes me go!!!!!

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About three weeks ago after the three days of a summer Noreaster, after work I stopped by the beach to do some shopping! :laughing7: After hitting the bank made a small withdrawl of old silver and green coins! Then it was time for the jewelry store and Davey Jones forgot to lock the door!!!! In the area of the beach that looked the lowest and where the tide had emptyed back to the sea I got an interesting tone! At this time it was dark and I was using my little pen light to find my targets. After two scoops of blackish colored sand the target sounded strong and clear in the hole. The next scoop and it was out and with the pen light I could see the white silver flash on top of the sand pile. At first I thought oh cool I a found a silver ring. Then it hit me like a brick in the head! Being this deep down the silver should be black and crusty! Did not even think maybe white gold :dontknow: I was sure I had found my first plat! Dropped to the ground like a sac of potatoes and heart pounding! As I picked up the ring I could feel the stones and setting, I turned it around and shined the light on and Ka Bam!! This sucker lit up like a Christmas tree!! I then washed it off gently and desperately started looking for the P, Pt, or Plat! My eyes were straining to adjust to the bright light until I could make out the stamp mark. Yes there it was PLAT!!!!! Man oh man I was psyched!!! Went to the Gemologist, he said the ring is over a hundred years old, diamonds are real (total of 13), the main stone is 1/2 carat old miner's ct and it's flawless or vvs, G color. The setting was crafted by hand with a special tool. The appraisal value is $3,000 and of course my wife loves it!!! I'm happy too cause now she makes me go hunting! HH! :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• plat3.jpg
    plat3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 5,372
  • plat1.jpg
    plat1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 5,356
  • plat2.jpg
    plat2.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 5,361
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BloodyBelle said:
Chug and Red said:
BloodyBelle said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Wow, :o

I'm like dumbfounded, that is amazing ring. :o I'll appraise it for you right now free of charge. :icon_thumleft: I looked close and count around 8-9 Carats of diamonds worth around $3,450 in diamonds alone. :tongue3: I figure you have about 4 grams of Platinum worth around $199.69 together around $3,649.69 Total. :hello2: This is scrap value and a low end price. :thumbsup: By the looks of it the stones are very clear and nice so add another 50% of the total value so high end is $5,473.69 or even higher because its very old. :headbang: Outstanding find, congratulations on banner and a great find !! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

It is a remarkable ring. But I'm afraid that your eyeballed-pixel appraisal is irresponsible at a minimum, if not simply way off.

Sorry, I don't agree, I have worked in jewelry departments in the past, and I have seen platinum rings that were much smaller, with lesser diamonds, and they started at $3,000.00! The ring is stunning, the workmenship is extradordinary, I would say he is about on par for the price, if not more!!!! It would be well worth taking it to a couple of appraisers!!!! :thumbsup: :icon_sunny:

So you agree with whoever I disagreed with. That means you agree that there are 9 cts worth of diamonds including the 1/2 ct main rock. Right? :-)

Personally, I think platinum is a nice thing to find. If the platinum holds a serious diamond the platinum is relatively irrelevant. e.g. engagement ring: 1.5 ct E color SI1 liquidation value -- Diamond: 7K. Platinum setting: 62.00.

YMMV. :wink:

If you think its such a bad appraisal then you do better.... :dontknow: I'm just learning how to do this and the only practice I get is this online. :icon_scratch: I knew right away they had more than $3k worth of stones. :icon_thumleft: I've dug lots of rings and seen lots of rings and know... Most weigh between 4-6 grams of Gold,Silver, or Platinum or whatever it is on average. :dontknow: If you noticed the Platinum value is only $199 most the value is in those stones. :headbang: The first stone is clearly more than a 1/2 Carat I'd say about 2 - 2 1/2 Carats at most... :tongue3: Your right I'm looking at pixels but from what I can tell and what their original appraisal was I'd say i'm right on. :icon_thumleft: Again if you think you can do better please do, just don't say i'm wrong if your not going to show how i'm wrong... So without copying something online show me a better appraisal then what I gave and tell us how i'm wrong. :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
BloodyBelle said:
Chug and Red said:
BloodyBelle said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Wow, :o

I'm like dumbfounded, that is amazing ring. :o I'll appraise it for you right now free of charge. :icon_thumleft: I looked close and count around 8-9 Carats of diamonds worth around $3,450 in diamonds alone. :tongue3: I figure you have about 4 grams of Platinum worth around $199.69 together around $3,649.69 Total. :hello2: This is scrap value and a low end price. :thumbsup: By the looks of it the stones are very clear and nice so add another 50% of the total value so high end is $5,473.69 or even higher because its very old. :headbang: Outstanding find, congratulations on banner and a great find !! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

It is a remarkable ring. But I'm afraid that your eyeballed-pixel appraisal is irresponsible at a minimum, if not simply way off.

Sorry, I don't agree, I have worked in jewelry departments in the past, and I have seen platinum rings that were much smaller, with lesser diamonds, and they started at $3,000.00! The ring is stunning, the workmenship is extradordinary, I would say he is about on par for the price, if not more!!!! It would be well worth taking it to a couple of appraisers!!!! :thumbsup: :icon_sunny:

So you agree with whoever I disagreed with. That means you agree that there are 9 cts worth of diamonds including the 1/2 ct main rock. Right? :-)

Personally, I think platinum is a nice thing to find. If the platinum holds a serious diamond the platinum is relatively irrelevant. e.g. engagement ring: 1.5 ct E color SI1 liquidation value -- Diamond: 7K. Platinum setting: 62.00.

YMMV. :wink:

If you think its such a bad appraisal then you do better.... :dontknow: I'm just learning how to do this and the only practice I get is this online. :icon_scratch: I knew right away they had more than $3k worth of stones. :icon_thumleft: I've dug lots of rings and seen lots of rings and know... Most weigh between 4-6 grams of Gold,Silver, or Platinum or whatever it is on average. :dontknow: If you noticed the Platinum value is only $199 most the value is in those stones. :headbang: The first stone is clearly more than a 1/2 Carat I'd say about 2 - 2 1/2 Carats at most... :tongue3: Your right I'm looking at pixels but from what I can tell and what their original appraisal was I'd say i'm right on. :icon_thumleft: Again if you think you can do better please do, just don't say i'm wrong if your not going to show how i'm wrong... So without copying something online show me a better appraisal then what I gave and tell us how i'm wrong. :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Sigh. I can't give an online appraisal or any appraisal. I am not a gemologist and far from a master gemologist. But if you are better than the OP's jeweler who said the center rock is 1/2 ct. so be it. And if you see weight-cut-color-clarity-etc. in either a photoshopped or in an untouched picture--so be it. And if Big square aka 1/2 ct. and X amount of considerably little squarettes equals 18 squares so be it. And if you can see flourescence on your browser that's great too. And if people don't want to know what a proper appraisal is I sure won't push it on them.

My appraisal was that is a very impressive ring and probably/possibly worth more than 3K liquidation value and I voted Banner.

If y'all care to dance on that, be my guests. Forgive me for not joining you.

HH!

surfnturf said:
About three weeks ago after the three days of a summer Noreaster, after work I stopped by the beach to do some shopping! :laughing7: After hitting the bank made a small withdrawl of old silver and green coins! Then it was time for the jewelry store and Davey Jones forgot to lock the door!!!! In the area of the beach that looked the lowest and where the tide had emptyed back to the sea I got an interesting tone! At this time it was dark and I was using my little pen light to find my targets. After two scoops of blackish colored sand the target sounded strong and clear in the hole. The next scoop and it was out and with the pen light I could see the white silver flash on top of the sand pile. At first I thought oh cool I a found a silver ring. Then it hit me like a brick in the head! Being this deep down the silver should be black and crusty! Did not even think maybe white gold :dontknow: I was sure I had found my first plat! Dropped to the ground like a sac of potatoes and heart pounding! As I picked up the ring I could feel the stones and setting, I turned it around and shined the light on and Ka Bam!! This sucker lit up like a Christmas tree!! I then washed it off gently and desperately started looking for the P, Pt, or Plat! My eyes were straining to adjust to the bright light until I could make out the stamp mark. Yes there it was PLAT!!!!! Man oh man I was psyched!!! Went to the Gemologist, he said the ring is over a hundred years old, diamonds are real (total of 13), the main stone is 1/2 carat old miner's ct and it's flawless or vvs, G color. The setting was crafted by hand with a special tool. The appraisal value is $3,000 and of course my wife loves it!!! I'm happy too cause now she makes me go hunting! HH! :icon_pirat:

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
That is just the most gorgeous ring. Now doesn't this hobby get some points with the wife now!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring. I like the old miners cut best before they got hung up on all the multi faceted cuts. Eye clear no inclusions and beautiful.
Say bye bye wife cya when I get back. :hello:
Congratulations!!!
TnMtns

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Mister! Congratulations :hello2:
I wonder who it belonged to!

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh My!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your banner. I bet if you get a second opinion, that ring would appraise much higher. $3K seems a bit low for a 100 year old ring.

That ring is stunning!!!! :icon_thumright:
It doesn't hurt to get another appraisal but I would like to say that old mine cut diamonds will never command the same value as a modern faceted one. Being in the antique business, I have seen this case many times.
In fact, I can recall many antique roadshow programs that state this.
Personally, I like your ring better than any flashy modern one, but mine cut diamonds will never fetch the amount that modern cut ones do, especially in the eyes of a jeweler.
Great find and congrats.
Dave.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BloodyBelle said:
Chug and Red said:

Chug and Red said:
I have taken the item in my avatar into several ppl for an appraisal, If they cant do it without taking into the back room it wont go with them!!! I fully agree with reds comment!!! There are to many problems that occur when a item leaves your hand and goes into another hand/ room stones disappear fast and replaced with others!!!! the 2 appraisals are Stunning even though they don't know where it was made!!!!! RED has been very Stubborn about letting it out of my sight when getting a appraisal!!!! Her working in the industry has helped Allot!!!! Chug!!!

Send an image to MUD. ;D :wink:

I've seen his Avatar and know the value.... :icon_scratch: Look man, I'm not here to argue or fight with you. :dontknow: I also don't want to high Jack this guys post anymore, so last thing I'm saying. :notworthy: I'm just here to learn whatever I can so please don't anyone take offence by what I say. :icon_thumleft: This is how I like to learn. Your 100% right I can't really see what I need to see to properly appraise the stones like Clarity and Color. :headbang: However what your not understanding is I can give a Flat low end Average based on the lowest prices for a carat diamond. :icon_thumleft: I can also judge size by comparing a few things around what I'm looking at. :tongue3: Now I'm likely off with the size cause I did do it kinda fast. :dontknow: So the stones are likely smaller than what I said and likely less Carat weight. ::) I did not say I was 100% right but I think I'm close. :icon_sunny:

Keep @ It and HH !! ;D :D

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: Well said MUD(S.W.A.T.) two thumbs up here!!!! Red :icon_thumright: :hello:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
The same thing happened to me when I found this beauty. My wife never gives me a hard time about detecting anymore. she loves it and wears it often.
Chris

Attachments

• ring.JPG
    ring.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 3,786
  • ring.JPG
    ring.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 3,786
OP
OP
surfnturf

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again!!!!!!! Just got home from work and saw all the responses and I'm stunned!!! This whole thing is awesome!!! As for the value debate to me the ring is priceless!!!! Was lost and now has found it's way to a new home and family! The ring will be passed down along with the tale of how it was to be!!!!! :icon_pirat:

Snt

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
surfnturf said:
Thanks again!!!!!!! Just go home from work and saw all the responses and I'm stunned!!! This whole thing is awesome!!! As for the value debate to me the ring is priceless!!!! Was lost and now has found it's way to a new home and family! The ring will be passed down along with the tale of how it was to be!!!!! :icon_pirat:

Snt

And I am deeply, deeply honored that you have bequeathed it to me. Bless your heart.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Gorgeous Ring!
Personally, I'll take the antique 'miners' or earlier cuts over the moderns,
This ring has a history and charm you can't buy at a "Jewelery Store"