The wife use to let me MD, now she makes me go!!!!!

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About three weeks ago after the three days of a summer Noreaster, after work I stopped by the beach to do some shopping! :laughing7: After hitting the bank made a small withdrawl of old silver and green coins! Then it was time for the jewelry store and Davey Jones forgot to lock the door!!!! In the area of the beach that looked the lowest and where the tide had emptyed back to the sea I got an interesting tone! At this time it was dark and I was using my little pen light to find my targets. After two scoops of blackish colored sand the target sounded strong and clear in the hole. The next scoop and it was out and with the pen light I could see the white silver flash on top of the sand pile. At first I thought oh cool I a found a silver ring. Then it hit me like a brick in the head! Being this deep down the silver should be black and crusty! Did not even think maybe white gold :dontknow: I was sure I had found my first plat! Dropped to the ground like a sac of potatoes and heart pounding! As I picked up the ring I could feel the stones and setting, I turned it around and shined the light on and Ka Bam!! This sucker lit up like a Christmas tree!! I then washed it off gently and desperately started looking for the P, Pt, or Plat! My eyes were straining to adjust to the bright light until I could make out the stamp mark. Yes there it was PLAT!!!!! Man oh man I was psyched!!! Went to the Gemologist, he said the ring is over a hundred years old, diamonds are real (total of 13), the main stone is 1/2 carat old miner's ct and it's flawless or vvs, G color. The setting was crafted by hand with a special tool. The appraisal value is $3,000 and of course my wife loves it!!! I'm happy too cause now she makes me go hunting! HH! :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• plat3.jpg
    plat3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 5,373
  • plat1.jpg
    plat1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 5,357
  • plat2.jpg
    plat2.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 5,362
Upvote 0

JMW

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 (10.5" coil), DetectorPro Headhunter PI (8", 11" coils), Tesoro Stingray (8" coil), Ace 250 (4.5" Sniper, 6.5" x 9" coils) and White's Classic ID (8" coil)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on making the banner, Snt! That is certainly one sweet ring!

Hope to run into you again sometime in the near future.
Until then, good luck (as if you really need it...), and happy hunting.

OP
OP
surfnturf

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMW said:
Congrats on making the banner, Snt! That is certainly one sweet ring!

Hope to run into you again sometime in the near future.
Until then, good luck (as if you really need it...), and happy hunting.

JMW, good to hear from you! Thanks! Now that Labor Day has come and gone I'll be back to where we had met (no more parking fees). Hope all is well! Your absolutely right I'm one lucky son of a gun! It's been a GREAT year! If we don't bump into each other soon we'll have to plan a hunt! Take care and may the luck be with you!!! :icon_sunny:

SnT

OP
OP
surfnturf

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
junius1891 said:
that is one awsome find i cant say congrats enough. one quick stupid question though what does the plat mean? congrats :hello2:

Plat is short for Platinum. Platinum is a heavy grayish white metallic chemical element. Platinum is more valuable than gold!!!!
Plat became popular for jewelry in the later half of the 1800's

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Congrats !!! Super find !!!!

Syrena Hunter

Nov 30, 2004
Palm Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur-800
Cobra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, Time to buy a flashlite and do some night hunting...great find!!! :hello2:

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surfnturf said:
Thanks again!!!!!!! Just got home from work and saw all the responses and I'm stunned!!! This whole thing is awesome!!! As for the value debate to me the ring is priceless!!!! Was lost and now has found it's way to a new home and family! The ring will be passed down along with the tale of how it was to be!!!!! :icon_pirat:

Snt
You owe it to yourself to take it to a Master Gemologist and drop the $60 or so to have it officially appraised... Need a good guy, PM me and I can get you to him... Have that done, and it will then be protected on your homeowners insurance...

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome ring surfnturf.

California Girl

Dec 19, 2011
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, White's Mxt Pro & GMT, Gold Master ll.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I make my husband go out so that he can find me one of those beauties. However, we are no where near the beaches. I am waiting for him to find a nice sized gold nugget which can still be found in these hills. Better yet, I am going to find that nugget.....Your wife is a lucky lady. That's a beauty.....Congrats. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
surfnturf

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
California Girl said:
I make my husband go out so that he can find me one of those beauties. However, we are no where near the beaches. I am waiting for him to find a nice sized gold nugget which can still be found in these hills. Better yet, I am going to find that nugget.....Your wife is a lucky lady. That's a beauty.....Congrats. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Thanks!!! Hope you find that fat nugget soon! Maybe on the beach in the river or creek!!!

SnT

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have to laugh at the pessimism we often have when we first dig the finds - must be silver. I am the same but how many times have I been burned thinking I found something and it turns out to be junk jewelry.

WOW / what a beautiful ring! congratulations

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome ring!! Congrats! :icon_thumleft: If that ring is worth $3,000 now, I wonder how much it was worth in the time when it was purchased over 100 years ago.

It must have been a been a terrible loss for the lady who owned it. She probably wondered for the rest of her days whatever happened to that ring. It must have been a sad day for her. When you find something beautiful like that, it makes you wonder about the owner from long ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread