Went on vacation unprepared!

day_sleeper_99

Jan 30, 2009
Germany
Hi all, went on vacation to Croatia and had a great time except....... I took my Ace 250 to check out the beaches, Just as everyone says, it is not for salt water.
The beaches are rocky with nice flat sand just past the shoreline. Next time I will be prepared with a water detector!!!!! in the rocky dry beach I had lots of luck with pulltabs and bottle caps. I found absolutely nothing of value... boo hoo, and the only interesting thing was an old car radio about a foot under. go figure. have fun.

Upvote 0

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Ah man, perhaps do some better research next time. :sign13: All the way to Croatia with the wrong machine :icon_scratch: Luckily you won't make that mistake twice... HH!

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am not sure how much salt is on Croatia 's beaches but My ace 250 does well in the wet sand here in NJ. I set the sensitivity at 4 and my wife has had good finds. If you get back in the dry sand 6 works. I bought it cause it was lite for here!

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If I went that far, I'd have taken one of each, just in case. :headbang:

OP
OP
D

day_sleeper_99

Jan 30, 2009
Germany
Thanks for the replies, Im a budget weekend detector guy, I live in Germany so yea- over 600 miles to drive to vacation.. It was a family vacation and that is where the money went, to for a good detector. Plus it was my first time playing in the water, just snooping around. Had lots of family fun, thats what counts.

Wet sand/rock or dry, no issues at all. Appearantly its more than salty water, put on level 1 and it would go crazy just putting it in the water.

Next time will definately be another story and detecting will be on the schedule!!!

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
day_sleeper_99 said:
Thanks for the replies, Im a budget weekend detector guy, I live in Germany so yea- over 600 miles to drive to vacation.. It was a family vacation and that is where the money went, to for a good detector. Plus it was my first time playing in the water, just snooping around. Had lots of family fun, thats what counts.

Wet sand/rock or dry, no issues at all. Appearantly its more than salty water, put on level 1 and it would go crazy just putting it in the water.

Next time will definately be another story and detecting will be on the schedule!!!

Yes it's best to warm the wife / girlfriend up before the time... I'm not married and its sometimes a struggle to get away from "relaxing on the beach with my girlfriend" to go swing my detector for a while... But if you go for a trip to the beach specifically for detecting, then she is welcome to come along :laughing7: :laughing7: Luckily I am only 15minutes drive from the beach. HH!

Truffles_EOD

Aug 4, 2013
Sarajevo
Detector(s) used
Started with Garrett AT/Gold, 2 x Scuba Tectors for shallow water while swimming along the beaches, now have Equinox 800 and starting to find decent items!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
daysleeper99, Where in Croatia did you go for your vacation? we used to go to Brela most weekends, where I have lost a watch and my now wife lost a ring back then! were you at a busy spot? I am thinking of heading over there in October after the Summer Season...

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
detecting is quite illegal in that country, be careful, sometimes the cops ignore you, but sometimes you can get in trouble

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
daysleeper99, Where in Croatia did you go for your vacation? we used to go to Brela most weekends, where I have lost a watch and my now wife lost a ring back then! were you at a busy spot? I am thinking of heading over there in October after the Summer Season...

Truff, unfortunately the post you responded to was from 2010, and they haven't been back on site
in over a year now.

Truffles_EOD

Aug 4, 2013
Sarajevo
Detector(s) used
Started with Garrett AT/Gold, 2 x Scuba Tectors for shallow water while swimming along the beaches, now have Equinox 800 and starting to find decent items!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheers Dizzydigger...

Acquisitor, Where did you find out about Croatia and MD'ing being illegal? I have recently talked to a MD Supplier in Belgrade and they have said MD'ing is legal throughout the Balkans, Croatia included and they have many customers from there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread