garret sea hunter

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
The SH MK2 is a good machine but keep in mind it is a PI and U will be digging every signal

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett is a very good Pulse detector for water work. However it will love to find long pieces of iron.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one. It was the deepest PI I've used so far. Once on the beach I hit on a target. I dug and dug and finally at about 16" I found a quarter. I checked the hole and still got a signal. Another 10" or so and I pulled out a nickel. It has been by far the deepest coin I've found. Using it on dry/wet sand I found you had to search perpendicular to the water. The threshold would drift higher the closer to the water. It was fine in the water and on dry sand (if you want to dig tent washers at 2 feet). Don't buy it thinking it will discriminate out trash because it won't. If you notice on the face of it it doesn't say "trash discrimination" it says "elimination". It does this by greatly reducing the sensitivity to smaller items.

I think it is one of the most underrated detectors out there. Sure it's heavy, but hip mount it and that isn't a problem. I just bought another one off the forums and it should be here by monday. I still have quite a bit of time before the Gulf gets too cold to hunt and this year I'll buy a wetsuit to extend that too. I've never tried the 10x14 coil with it, but I've read it makes it hard to use in the surf.

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
GibH said:
I had one. It was the deepest PI I've used so far. Once on the beach I hit on a target. I dug and dug and finally at about 16" I found a quarter. I checked the hole and still got a signal. Another 10" or so and I pulled out a nickel. It has been by far the deepest coin I've found. Using it on dry/wet sand I found you had to search perpendicular to the water. The threshold would drift higher the closer to the water. It was fine in the water and on dry sand (if you want to dig tent washers at 2 feet). Don't buy it thinking it will discriminate out trash because it won't. If you notice on the face of it it doesn't say "trash discrimination" it says "elimination". It does this by greatly reducing the sensitivity to smaller items.

I think it is one of the most underrated detectors out there. Sure it's heavy, but hip mount it and that isn't a problem. I just bought another one off the forums and it should be here by monday. I still have quite a bit of time before the Gulf gets too cold to hunt and this year I'll buy a wetsuit to extend that too. I've never tried the 10x14 coil with it, but I've read it makes it hard to use in the surf.

You found a nickel at 26 inches? Holy crap!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EpsilonMinus said:
You found a nickel at 26 inches? Holy crap!

I try not to make claims about depth because from what I've seen, some detectorists seem to go by the fisherman scale of inches. I also don't carry a tape measure with me. I will say it was at least 2 feet deep though. I may not have noticed it if I hadn't already dug the quarter and re-checked the hole. I'm glad I was dragging my water scoop with me and not my smaller sand scoop.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Several years ago, I considered the Sea Hunter but when I found out it was HOT on iron then I chose the Minelab Excalibur which ignores iron but is HOT on gold. I've dug dimes at 18 inches with my 8 inch coil in chest deep water. I don't think I want to try digging 26 inches at the same depth or in a running surf. :o Good luck with whatever choice you decide on. :icon_thumleft:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good PI detector, but don't let that discrimination knob fool you. It's virtually worthless and destroys your depth if you turn it up. The White's Dual Field is getting better reviews these days, mostly because its proving to be more sensitive to small gold. Thinking about getting one myself.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was a lot younger I would go back to using PI's at the beach because of the extreme depth. I could do a lot of things when I was younger. :laughing7:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
One nice thing to consider is the ability to swap coils and headphones without doing a "mod" to your equipment or sending the entire unit in for repair only to have headphones replaced. If the machine ever does need work, Garrett service and support is top notch. Also after using the Sea Hunter, you will get used to the tones (double beep/halo) that the PI unit will sound off on when encountering an iron target. Allowing you to ignore the targets if you choose. Most Excal users will point out the ability of responding to a gold ring while ignoring the iron in the same hole. Great! But I've never encountered such a scenario in my years of hunting where the two are in the same target radius. Good luck with your choice.

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi, Just a Note Don't forget , The Beach Hunter ID 300 I Just got one ! and it work GREAT !

OP
OP
D

diver1382

May 21, 2007
Thanks for the input, I had a Whites DF and I liked it , except the coil is to big for diving and it floats and i found both to be annoying
I would get an excal, but i think i will wait in till they minelab gets their issues fixed (1200 $ is a lot to spend on something that has of late had problems and bad service

rehless

Mar 23, 2008
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, Surf PI, Tesoro SS, Cibola, Tejon, Troy X2
I disagree on the DF being hard to use diving. I dive and snorkel with mine with out any coil problems.
I have had two Sea Hunters. Good machine, but at that time Garrett was not good on quality control.
I now have two White's, two Tesoro's and a Fisher water machines. Good luck to you with your choice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread