tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been out a couple times since the 6th when I found the 14K plain wedding band and have come up with bumpkis. Yesterday was my first day off and I was going to dedicate a couple hours of making up for the lack of finds. Man I miss tourist season!!! Well it turned out to be a slow morning only finding a couple coins. Figured I'd head for home. As I was walking past one of the water sport vendor hut's a fellow came running up to me and started to tell me that his "friend" had lost a valuable ring yesterday. He was showing me the general area of where his "friend" had lost the ring when his "friend" and 8 day old bride approached us. The fellow who approached me initially disappeared... go figure. The couple explained to me that the day prior he had been in the water and his ring flew off his hand and sank like a rock. He had his wits about him and used landmarks on the beach to triangulate his position. He said he spent 3 hours in the water with a fan rake trying to recover the lost ring to no avail. We had had a pretty big storm the previous night and they knew it had been washed out to sea. I assured them that here things generally lay where they fall. He gave me the parameters of where he was and I asked him if there were any identifable markings. He said it was just stamped on the inside, "Tiffany". I knew right away I was looking for a platinum high end piece. He said it was silver and the young bride smacked him and said it was platinum. I set off into the water and got about half way through the area he had identified and I saw them standing at waters edge. I walked out of the water and asked when they were leaving and they said in 2 days. I told them to leave their contact info with Hotel managment, that I'd spend another half hour or so looking for it but there was no guaruntee. But I reassured them by telling them about the ring I found that had been lost 4 months beefore I found it. I reentered the water and apparently everyone in the Hotel knew they had lost it because everyone in the water was asking them if they had found it yet. I got had picked up a couple coins and was pocketing all the trash so everytime I lifted my scoop out of the water they were looking in anticipation. Then the magic. I scooped up a great signal and in the bottom of the scoop I saw the ring. I plucked it up and it had a nice weight to it. Looked inside and could see the "Tiffany" stamp. As I looked over towards the bride and held my hand up holding the ring, she screamed, "you found it?". I waded over to where they were standing and plopped into her hand. She clutched it to her chest and began crying. The young groom excused himself and asked if I'd stay there for 15 or 20 minutes. I said yes, I might find some more stuff. I asked the young lady how long they had been married and she said 8 days. She was gushing and all the folks around her were congratulating her on finding the ring and she deferred their remarks to me. The groom returned with a stack of bills and I thought, I can't take any money from you guys. But then I thought, I'd have to give the water vendor guy a couple bucks in order to secure any future hunt potential. He asked me how much I wanted and I could see that he had at least $400.00 in his hand. I told him that I had planned on giving the other guy $20.00. He handed my $220.00 and invited me up to their palata [tiki hut thingy] for a beer or champaign. I headed over to the water vendor shack with a $20.00 in my hand and the guy was very excited. I gave him my name and number for future lost rings. Then as I was returning to the happy young couple to enjoy a cold beer an adjacent vendor stopped me and wanted my contact info, which I supplied. As the young couple and I stood there enjoying cold beer a Hotel security staffer approached and asked if they had found the ring, to which they replied that I had found it. The security guy asked if I lived here and I replied yes and he then wanted my contact info. I had a couple beers :occasion14: with them and some nice conversation. I may run into them tomorrow as they are leaving at which time I'll try to get a picture. Sorry for the epic post. Good luck and happy hunting out there.

Upvote 0

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job... way to go. I found a Diamond earring for the bride while they were getting their pic taken on the beach... just a couple weeks ago.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
epic post for a epic find * i make big post too and my storys not as good as yours.(so far) :icon_thumright: :wink:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honorable mention!

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW. What a sweet find in every respect!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
being only married 8 days and losing his "platinum" tiffany wedding ring -- poor whatever his name was was in for a long and painful ( she smacked him for calling it "silver" * clearly he was talking its color not metal content or esle he was down playing its value ) poor dude was facinng a non stop whine a thon from "bridezilla" (clearly a monied gal who knows her high end jewelry) -- i am quite sure he was more than happy to pay you the $220 to get out of the "doghouse" that he woulda been in for a long time. :wink: :icon_thumright:

for bailing him out of the dog house as a fellow man, I must say --well done

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic!! Hey I am sure he said silver because it was such a valuable ring that he thought a stranger might rook him and some would have. You did a good thing for sure!!

VBDave

Aug 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Tesoro Vaquero
Excellent job, and the gesture to the water vendor was both a classy thing to do and a stroke of genius! You walked away from that as a great ambassador for all of us, and a hero, as well as securing a definite welcome next time around! :headbang:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That must be a great feeling knowing that you helped out someone who truly needed it.

Now I hope she gets that ring resized so it doesn't fall off again! :D

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
Nice Job tnt-k9! I am hoping to buy my first Water detector next year. I've been detecting for approx. 14 years now and done some watering detecting with my regular detector and have done ok, but want to venture out more with my hobby. Especially with gold prices the way they are right now and since I live in Michigan I don't have to worry about finding any water. lol Keep up the good work and congratulations.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread