What do you do with your finds?

miller433

Jun 29, 2010
N.E. Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 800, Soveriegn GT, Garrett 1500, Garrett Ace
This concerns mostly jewelery type items, but, what does everyone do with their finds. I've sold some and of course given some away. Recently I found a simple gold wedding band and told my wife that I was considering wearing it in place of the one she gave me, so I wouldn't risk losing or damaging my real wedding ring. I got a long lecture, including one on the "Karma" associated with the ring. I guess I'll continue to wear my original wedding ring but it got me wondering....

Upvote 0

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I have about $300 - $400 in clad in a "Treasure Chest". (I have already given about 42,000 pennies to my grand kids.) When the chest is full, I may buy a new detector. On the jewelry side, I have given some pieces to my wife as gifts, for special occasions or "Just because". The rest of the treasure stays in a safe place for now. I have not sold any of it. If I get to the point where I can no longer detect because of my joints, I may try to take up the hobby of "creating" jewelry and reuse the gold and silver for that purpose. Before I die, if that is by natural causes at an old age, I will probably give it all away to my grand children to keep or sell. In the mean time I may sell some jewelry to augment my clad for a new detector purchase if necessary, considering the family budget and current finances at the time ..... Having the treasure to pull out once in a while to look at makes me feel like a pirate.... A real natural high..... HH, Ralph

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I was much younger I sold my finds for gas money and dates. As I mature and had a good job I just chuck the stuff in jars and cans. Which really worked out. When I started doing this gold was 80.00 an ounce now its 1250.00 an ounce. I never checked how much I have and I have little need to ever cash it in. My wife swipes some of the items for herself but when she's done she throws them back in the cans. I think this came about from my local dealer as he has 5 gal buckets of coins he has found over the 50 years he's been doing it. Its really a good sell when you see all these buckets around his shop. If you look though the buckets you can't believe the coins he found some would cry to find one he has buckets of silver. He says he never checks what years they are, I checked some and saw some nice coins in them. The clad gets use each day. I plan on selling it some day otherwise someone at a garage sale is going to get some nice finds when he buys the cans of stuff.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just kept most of my finds. Many of them are just trash but I have collected quite a bit of silver in coins and a few gold pieces. I probably should get rid of some of it , but I just haven't been moved to do so. Monty

beachboy

Bronze Member
May 26, 2008
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
My best finds are the ones that me or my wife wear. I have some nice necklaces that I wear all the time and my wife wears the diamonds and some Tiffany stuff that I have found, some times I will trade some wedding bands for a necklace or pendant that I like... I have a lot of wedding bands.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've kept "very few" pieces and while I sometimes regret it, I figure I puruse this hobby because I enjoy all the activities associated with it so most of what I find gets sold to help fund the expenses associated with the interest. I've always been active in the collectible markets, enjoy it a great deal, but oddly enough, I've never personally been a collector of anything. :icon_scratch:

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I do the same as Scrooge McDuck does in his vault.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
401 K box... hoarder I am :headbang: I am lookin for a nice band for me, wifes cool with it I just got a ring for the job, but a I don't really wear jewelry...

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_pirat: I have many small tupperware boxes of coins and various items that are earmarked for burrial sometime in the future. I have a heavy chest that I built and sometime in the future I will take it all out to some secluded spot and burry it. Right now there are many boxes of all sorts of coins and trinkets, rings and jewelry that I have been reluctant to sell or part with. I just reached over and weighed two of the boxes of coins. One is 14 lb 9.8 oz. the other smaller one is 4 lb 8.7 oz. Considering that I have about twenty boxes with everything from silver coins, trinkets, gold rings and even some very special coins it will make quite a treasure sometime in the future. It could weigh a few hundred pounds by the time I'm ready to hide it. Almost like a real treasure. Many homesteaders burried a few dollars back in the day that any one of us would love to find. How about our great-great grandchildren? Maybe we should put a little back? Kind of like catch and release. The hobby has been very good to us, why not pass it on to future generations?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know someone who has buried some nice stuff in the past and he has plans to "plant" more in the future. Like you say, he's giving back. :thumbsup:

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I place all my good finds together and roll on them. My wife says I have a sickness, but who is she to judge.... :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
artyfacts said:
I place all my good finds together and roll on them. My wife says I have a sickness, but who is she to judge.... :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

That's right, she married you didn't she. What's wrong with her ??? ;D I have seen sick before, and that aint sick. Strange, maybe, but not sick :D

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've kept some of my better finds for my wife and myself (and in the future keep more). I've given items away to mom and dad, close friends and sold some. But hoard it, no. Wedding bands (or any other scrap gold) mean nothing to me and would rather turn it in and have a good time with it and that includes buying another detector if i want. The collectable coins i find i give to my dad for he is a coin collector and they are being saved for my kids. I've sweated for it and my wife and i are going to enjoy it while we are alive. Different strokes for different folks i guess you might say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread