Disability and detecting???

abeach01

May 9, 2010
USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXCALIBUR X10
Hello, does anyone know if water detecting could jeopardize disability benefits?? I have had 6 back surgeries and numerous other surgeries and water detect now dealing with alot of pain. If not for water hunting I may not even walk. I am being faced with job loss following the most recent back surgery and I am considering fighting for work comp second injury fund full disability however it is time consuming and I would have to forfeit unemployment compensation to try for it. I do not want to fight for it then for it to be revoked because I enjoy a hobby. Any help on disability info and or if anyone has dealt with a similar scenario. Thanks so much

Upvote 0

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, forgot to ask you this.... I thought before you were approved, you had to see a SS Doctor for an exam? Anyway, that didnt happen either..
Who knows, maybe they simply saw the pile of medical records I have accumulated over the last two years and got tired of reading, or they saw records from Mayo Clinic, or I just got lucky and had a reviewer that saw what I used to do (ER Nursing), how many years I worked (I used to work like a fool), and felt sorry for me or something...
I could make myself crazy trying to make heads or tails out of it, and it would serve no purpose... "Why ask why?" is probably the motto I should be thinking of...
Wanted to go hunting today, but after all the traveling and tests yesterday, I just couldnt make it...

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a disability,walking for several miles down the beach or walking in water is the best for your body.My workman comp insurance co said im disabled from haveing a 4000lb roll of paper land on my legs back in 1978.I ended up with lower back problems,all the cartillage torn in both knees,hips and ankles.I never got any of it operated on.My doc told me the best for it all was lots of exercise.Before my accident i ran 20 miles a day,skate boarded,surf and windsurfed.Doc told me not to run anymore,not even a mile.The doc told me to keep surfing,windsurfing and skateboarding to build up the muscles to support what cartillage isnt whole anymore.It worked!The insurance detectives followed me when i moved from virginia to florida.Everywhere i went,they were there,even in the bars i hung out at.Even the beaches and skate parks.This went on for 2 years then 1 day i approached one of them and asked him if he had enough info for the insurance co.He said he didnt see me do anything that my doc said i couldnt do and said he was done with the job an was headed back to VA.I got workmans comp pay(full salary)what i was making when i had my accident, for 4 years.Then the company fired me.Then i sued them and settled for 100k,plus they agreed to pay my work related injuries medical for the rest of my life.Im still owed SS disability from 1978.Got lawyers on that now.From what i figgered out,they owe me 250k.Enough to keep me treasure hunting for a few years.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, its not a necessity to see a SS doc. If your doctor(s) filled their stuff in completely, and didn't miss anything important, they may or may not ask for that. Apparently, like I said, someone did a great job for you.

They may not back date it, since you were never denied, and didn't have to go through an adjudication judge.

All I can say is that all that information will be on your letter.

You mentioned the Mayo Clinic - there are certainly some doctors that have earned a good reputation to the disability boards, and they are much more likely to pay attention to them.

If you read through the list I sent you, you may find your situation in there. If it is, or if there is a combination of items, that is an easy answer.
It also sounds like you had a disability person who actually did their job. (they are few and far between). But, it costs the disability monetary fund 11 times more money by a adjudicator NOT doing their jobs correctly. Judges get ticked off, and give people more than they would have gotten - and, on top of that, they have been known to actually name the person who denied it, and castigate them and even fine them or discipline them - and they will write that right in the decision. (its an interesting read).

Luckily for you - you will not have to hear all that crap. You will get a letter that has at the top of it - Decision-Favorable, it will tell you how much you will get, if you had a lawyer you will have to sign and date a paper for their pay (and, by the way - their pay ONLY comes out of back money, before you get your check - don't let any lawyer tell you that you still owe them money - its not legal-another thing I've seen happen).
They will give you so many days to appeal it if you want, and voila! Income.

Beth

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still have not gotten any papers, but 3 days ago a pretty big sum showed up in my bank account.... Almost 2 yrs worth... Never had even talked to a lawyer, so no money taken out for that... Finally able to repay the other half I borrowed from my son-in-law for the surgery I had in July 09...
Hope the papers come today... The lady on the phone last tuesday did say that I would be "reviewed" in 3 yrs to see if I still was "disabled"... I would sure like to get fixed and back to work by then.. That would be perfect..

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Well, now you know how far back they went!!!! Good for you!!! I'm so glad to hear it. I love to hear the good (short) stories!!

You should get the letter before the first of November. (it will depend of what day of the month you will get your monthly checks. They used to all be on the 1st for SSI, and on the 3rd for SSDI, but they changed that a couple of years ago, and sometimes, not all the time, they will
choose to do it alphabetically - it just depends on how many is done out of the main office in your area).

Two years sounds good, because it also means that you will get your medicare soon. (You don't get medicare until you've had 2 years of benefits, if you are eligible for SSDI - its a different story for SSI).

Your story has made my day, believe it or not - it means that there are still some good folks out there who are doing their jobs the right way, and
not letting folks who have fallen on bad times get into even worse times!

Beth

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to log in to my "account" yesterday.. Still no paperwork, and they told me when I called them today that it is mailed "after you retrieve your password", which I did yesterday.. He said by next week..
I also read where I cant get medicare until two years of "disability".. Does that go back to the day they determined I was disabled?? If so, that is great news, since our COBRA insurance is set to increase to $960/month for just me and my wife... I have no idea what we will do, we sure cant afford that high of a premium now..
Thanks for all your info and advice on this subject, it is SO appreciated!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverSurfer,

Yep, that's what I was trying to say in my other post. It is two years from the date of disability. (their date). It is actually, for some reason, two years and 1 month, technically. If they go back two years ago October 1st, you might qualify in November, but, sometimes, you don't actually get coverage until the end of the month - I never did understand how they figured that out - it may have to do with the date of the month. If it is
the 15th or before, then you qualify on the first, if its the 16th or after, then its the end of the month. Though, like I said, I am not sure how
they figure it out - I have seen both.

Hope you don't mind, but I was telling someone who is on kidney dialysis 3 times a week about how well yours went. He is still trying to work, because he can't afford to be off for 5 months. Its a bad situation for him. (he drives one of those huge dump trucks for a construction and road building company, and he is on the transplant list, but he supports his young sister, who is not able to work) She gets SSI, but it does not bring in enough to pay the bills if he quit. SS gave him medicare for the dialysis, but told him he has to stop working to file, so he is trying to pay things ahead a year, just in case. I hope he can do it, because, if a kidney comes in, he will HAVE to stop working. Kidneys for him are few and far between, because his blood type is rare. As soon as they get a kidney, I told him I will file his claim for him. I hope he is as lucky as
you were!! Any way, it made him feel a little better.

Beth

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I will say on this topic is..when detecting on the beaches or in the water, its the only time I dont think about my disability, it makes me feel good..and for that I am very thankful.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
One thing I will say on this topic is..when detecting on the beaches or in the water, its the only time I dont think about my disability, it makes me feel good..and for that I am very thankful.
Ditto..... BUT, as of late, after a 4 hr water detecting outing, I am almost bedridden for the next 2 or 3 days... That REALLY sucks... I used to really look forward to going, now it seems I make myself go..
Sorry to hear about your friend needing a kidney... What is his "rare" bloodtype? I am O neg... I would be more than happy to donate a kidney to anyone who needed it (provided they wont just use/lose it)...
Wish him luck from me..

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver surfer, I forgot to add, I know my limits on time spent hunting.. somedays I overdo it like you said and end up paying the price for a few days..but I try to watch my time on hunting.

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Silver Surfer said:
As of late, after a 4 hr water detecting outing, I am almost bedridden for the next 2 or 3 days... That REALLY sucks... I used to really look forward to going, now it seems I make myself go..

Try either going for shorter wading time or take longer breaks every 45 min or so.

Hope your endurance build up quickly. :hello: :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread