Kill Devil Hills, Ok to detect?

spurloo

Sep 24, 2010
New York
Detector(s) used
BH
New to the hobby - just purchased our first MD. Hoping to do some detecting in the OBX as well. As far as I have read it's legal on the beaches in KDH, but not down past South Nags Head. Anyone else feel free to post your input!!!

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes sir

from there north to the virginia line

like river rat said..............do not go south.............danger lurks..........federal kind

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks very much for the input, the wife and I are staying in KDH for two days until checking into house in Corolla for a week stay. Hopefully I find something on this trip. Last year when we went down the beach was pretty eroded but I don't know how it will be this this year.

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
I'll be down in Hatteras for 2 weeks starting Oct. 3rd---Illegal there---at least from the dunes into the ocean---so I will be coming up your way to hunt quite often at low tides. Be happy to look you up if you are there then---I have an e trac and it does quite well at the beach--but water and e tracs circuitry does not mix well--hence the maiden voyage of my Excal II--just received it and the charger is bad--hopefully that is all. My dealer here in Pa. is going to try and get another charger sent to me or give me an alternate way of charging up my battery pack. Let me know what your plans are.--boog

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
JoelB said:
I'll be down in Hatteras for 2 weeks starting Oct. 3rd---Illegal there---at least from the dunes into the ocean---so I will be coming up your way to hunt quite often at low tides. Be happy to look you up if you are there then---I have an e trac and it does quite well at the beach--but water and e tracs circuitry does not mix well--hence the maiden voyage of my Excal II--just received it and the charger is bad--hopefully that is all. My dealer here in Pa. is going to try and get another charger sent to me or give me an alternate way of charging up my battery pack. Let me know what your plans are.--boog

no problem, last year this time we found a Spanish Cob, I believe an 8 reale ( brother found) and a Brittish coin from the 1700's plus a few pieces of jewelry. I just got an E trac and looking forward to using it on the beach, I previously used a Safari.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Kill Devil Hill ok to Detect. I haven't seen any Pirates except for (3 ) they detected from K D H all the way to South Carolina in about 5 mintues. I was there during Hurricane Earls pass and thought the rain was going to wash the paint off of my Truck. Made 2 trips all the way to Corolla and down to the National Park Line. The sand moved from the High Dunes to the water's edge and covered up the finds except, small pieces of wire and those metal tent stakes, I must have dug ten of them. Only thing I would recommend is to buy some Deet( highest Rating if the Black flies are showing up. I had to drive 10 miles that Saturday to find a Walgreens that was open. Good Luck-goldnugget-Charlotte,N.C. Work Corollla heavy, since you will have a parking spot, also they have 4 more free parking spots for the public.

Attachments

• tresure hunter with chest.JPG
    tresure hunter with chest.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 419
  • tresure hunter with chest.JPG
    tresure hunter with chest.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 370
OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
goldnugget said:
Kill Devil Hill ok to Detect. I haven't seen any Pirates except for (3 ) they detected from K D H all the way to South Carolina in about 5 mintues. I was there during Hurricane Earls pass and thought the rain was going to wash the paint off of my Truck. Made 2 trips all the way to Corolla and down to the National Park Line. The sand moved from the High Dunes to the water's edge and covered up the finds except, small pieces of wire and those metal tent stakes, I must have dug ten of them. Only thing I would recommend is to buy some Deet( highest Rating if the Black flies are showing up. I had to drive 10 miles that Saturday to find a Walgreens that was open. Good Luck-goldnugget-Charlotte,N.C. Work Corollla heavy, since you will have a parking spot, also they have 4 more free parking spots for the public.

I am just hunting KDH that Friday then we will be in Corolla the rest of the trip. Hopefully we find something but it sure beats being at work!

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
Well River Rat how are you making out? I have been to Corolla down to South Nags Head and have hunted the dry sand to the towel line to the low tide mark-very poor. I know my detectors are working good as I have picked up a few pull tabs and what appears to be melted aluminum at 8 to 12 inches. There is very little junk on these beaches--I think that there is too much new sand for some reason or another. Since I have to drive 60 plus miles to hunt I have suspended hunting until Fri or Sat and give it one more try at low tide. Not sure where I will go as I have hunted 15 or so different locations--from the big hotels/condo's to the rental houses--about half dissappointing but the weather has made up for it. Are you still down? How are you making out? I was even considering going to Roanoke Island and looking for some old (or current) swimming beaches. ANY SUGGESTIONS from anyone out there? Current findings-----20 to 25 hours hunting----$3.45 clad--1 key--swimming goggles (found in surf). Will try again in mid-January for a week when I come down for striped bass. A detecting group down here called the soda pop pirates says that the beach erodes in the winter and rebuilds in the summer ---probably why my findings have been so slim--well January will tell the tale---Happy Hunting to everyone! I Love this hobby!!!

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Joel B, I tried getting on my computer while I was down there but the service at the rental house was terrible. I only stayed the long weekend since my wife is a teacher she needed to get back. The first night I was there I hunted briefly in the dark and found about a 1.50 in clad. It was just a half hour hunt so I was pretty stoked for the next day but the next day proved very dissapointing. Compared to last year at this time there is probably 10 feet more sand on the beach this year. If you remeber the huge noreaster that came up the coast in the fall last year wreaked some havoc on NC coast. We found a bunch of things last year. We are also going to head back down in January for a long weekend, hopefully with better luck. Since the weather is nice I am going to try my Civil War spots this weekend since the wife feels bad I didnt get much down in the Outer Banks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions