Scoop info needed..

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
In addition to the hole size you might want to consider epoxying a magnet into the scoop to catch the small pices of iron and bobby pins that seen to slip through 3/8" diameter holes. On the subject of whether it is a good idea to make your own scoop. That is an individual decision. Many of us on this forum have been there and done that. I am about to post a scoop repair, so you can see what can happen to a $150 SS scoop. Good luck with your project. HH Ralph

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Hey Copperhead...

I think what some are missing is the fun of doing it yourself because it is part of the hobby!
Many times it isn't just to save money!
Some will build their own to save money, others are just cheap. :laughing7:
Everyone has their own reasons for the equipment they use or build and contrary to what some think...
many people know it may not be as good as "store bought"... but part of the fun is making it yourself!
I don't worry about the cost... or the time it takes to build it... and just about every time the price ends up being twice the price of a ready-made one! But designing and building equipment to use in one of my hobbies brings me a lot of happiness...
and that's the name of the game!
Sometimes I believe some of the "negativity" is coming from people that don't have the ability to build it themselves?
So, they make excuses why it's not a good idea, because of skill, needing the high priced machines, or the cost and time!

So... I'd start with 1/2" holes in your scoop. You can always drill bigger, if you think it needs it after a beach run.

-Wayne

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number9 said:
Hey Copperhead...

I think what some are missing is the fun of doing it yourself because it is part of the hobby!
Many times it isn't just to save money!
Some will build their own to save money, others are just cheap. :laughing7:
Everyone has their own reasons for the equipment they use or build and contrary to what some think...
many people know it may not be as good as "store bought"... but part of the fun is making it yourself!
I don't worry about the cost... or the time it takes to build it... and just about every time the price ends up being twice the price of a ready-made one! But designing and building equipment to use in one of my hobbies brings me a lot of happiness...
and that's the name of the game!
Sometimes I believe some of the "negativity" is coming from people that don't have the ability to build it themselves?
So, they make excuses why it's not a good idea, because of skill, needing the high priced machines, or the cost and time!

So... I'd start with 1/2" holes in your scoop. You can always drill bigger, if you think it needs it after a beach run.

-Wayne

For those that enjoy making stuff that is great, I have seen some top of the line home made scoops, but those are few.....The reason most of us say it isn't a good idea is because life is to short to waste what precious detecting time there is at a beach with a home made scoop that is not really functioning well....The 2ND most important tool a beach hunter has next to his detector is his scoop.....

If someone is good with their hands, have the tools, supplies and the knowledge to make a good scoop, more power to them, but my first recommendation when asked about a scoop will always be invest in a top of the line good scoop, new or used.....It is worth its weight in gold when your hunting chest deep in the surf........

When I first started I was told don't waste time with a cheap scoop, to get a good scoop to begin with, I paid $50 for my first scoop, I thought that was a lot of money, I thought it would last.........It did last, it lasted one whole month before I broke it..... :laughing7:

You can hunt a salt water beach with an ACE 250 and you will find gold, Crackbadger has shown that, but I would much perfer to hunt a beach with my Excal or Sovereign GT, not have to deal with the constant chatter from the salt mineralization and find targets well over 12 inches deep.....I have already seen I can buy a good used Excal or Sovereign, hunt with it for a couple years, then sell it and get 85% or more of my money back when I sell it. I see it as I haven't lost the money I spent, it is just invested elsewhere..... ;D

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
LOL!
You are so right!
"IF" your objective is to spend all your time hunting for the most return, always buy the very best equipment that you can afford!!
But, you will always have a few "crazy people" who enjoy building their own because it's a part of the hobby they enjoy doing!
Now, I'm not talking about the people who want to do this as cheap as possible, you can't help them! They are lost before they even start!

I maybe just a little different? When I go to the beach to detect, or to the mountains to gem hunt... or to even pan for gold, I want the very best equipment that will give the highest performance possible for the way I hunt! Many times what's being sold doesn't fill my needs, so I'll build it to give me the greatest possible degree of enjoyment!

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Half inch holes work good. I understand what you are saying. A few years ago I wanted to do some competition beach hunts. Many people had baskets that were attached to peoples belts that were pricey! I built mine out of a yellow pool clorine container, it worked great for the contests that I used it on. Well, I'm one of the crazy guy's that built my own underwater sand scoop. Yep modified about half a dozen times, had to test it to see what worked and what didn't. When I was making mine all my wife could do was shake her head and laugh! Finally after I had manually bent it into shape and pieced the 3 parts togather, the wife came out and says yep it's just as big as your head! It should fit really well. :laughing7: I proceded to put it over my head and the wife starts rolling with laughter, and hollars at the kids, and say's. Hey look kids it's Sir Shrek. :3some: The fun was first inventing it and then testing it. Oh yes it was also a blast the first time I took it to the club meeting. But my Scoopzilla will almost everytime get the object on the first scoop full. Don't have to have multiple attempts

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i prefer small holes in both my scoop (.250 sq) and my sifter (.187 rd.) i don't spend much time looking for targets in my scoop cause i sort it all out in my sifter. i've found the small holes don't let the small stuff thru.

this is just my opinion, but i hope it helps.

steve :-)

Attachments

• belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 405
  • sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 390
  • belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 386
  • sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 391

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pockets

once i would have agreed with u, but after a summe of small holes..............u and i have lost many many small tickets. were they valuable..........god only knows...... i am sure u have seen some of the many small nitro studs i have found. those are enough for me to know life as i have know it has changed ..........hopefully for the best

check out this proto type scoop.............she will reach out and grab them.

testing is still ongoing as i type............now in ft lauderdale for testing.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether you make your own or buy a factory made one, you really need to put screen in it. Those giant (3/8 inch) holes are great for moving sand through it fast, but SUCK for catching the smalls. I put 1/8 inch chicken wire inside my 6 inch SS scoop. I used the single wire they wrap around the roll to "sew" the screen into the scoop. Been there for years and going strong. Chasing bobby pins, lead sinkers, scraps of aluminum, ear-rings, etc will absolutely drive you nuts hunting out in the water. It does add a couple extra seconds to sift the sand through, but worth it.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
How about a Heath Kit detector to go along with the home made scoop and really get back to basics :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copperhead, I am sure nobody meant any harm in advising you to just go out and buy a good scoop. We have all made our first scoops with varied results. It is fun to tinker but to save time many decide to buy one or a couple that would work on the beaches in their area. I have shells and rocks at most of my places and the smaller holes would slow me down. I used to use a sifter basket floating beside me, but thought carrying that thing back and forth to the water was a pain if I also wanted to hunt the wet sand or dry. I have a few different scoops for different beaches and am always looking for the "better one."

As for your using the ACE 250 on the beaches there is nothing wrong with that. There are other detectors that will do the job easier but they also cost more money. You just have to do what ever you want to have fun. Go at it and just try to realize that is all any of us want to do.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
erikk said:
How about a Heath Kit detector to go along with the home made scoop and really get back to basics :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
Your on a roll! LOL

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Montauk3 said:
erikk said:
Your on a roll! LOL
Well I am sitting here in upstate NY, Lake Ontario is big time sanded in from the storm that moved the outer bar right up to shore , water temp in low 60's. air in the 50-60's and raining every other day trying to convince my wife that we have visited with the relatives long enough and it is time to head back south. :help:

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
erikk said:

Many of the scoops we now have that are sold on the open market, were first built by an individual at their home or small work shop out back. So, you can't always put "homemade" and "inferior" in the same sentence unless you own a Heath Kit detector...
or like some, you're short sighted! :laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that is true. I could make my own home-made scoop equal to or better than commercial ones. But first I would have to have access to 304 SS sheet metal and a CNC water jet cutter. I would also need a machine to roll the steel, and a heavy duty metal brake. Then I would need SS welding kit and the extensive knowledge and skill to expertly weld everything together.

I think I am far better off spending $150 for a high quality surf scoop from RTG.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
LOL!
Well, from your list of items. I do have the knowledge and one old "buzz-box" welder!
And my main supplier is eBay for the scoop metal that I needed. And I don't even own a Heath Kit detector! :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number9 said:
LOL!
Well, from your list of items. I do have the knowledge and one old "buzz-box" welder!
And my main supplier is eBay for the scoop metal that I needed. And I don't even own a Heath Kit detector! :laughing7:

If you can make your own scoop and it as fuctional as the professional made scoops go for it. There have been many who made them, some were excellant scoops, and many would not and did not work out.

No one is saying they can't be made, only that most hunters can't make one that is as funtional or as good as those made by a professional.

Hunting in the surf with a poor scoop is a waste of time, and time is the one thing you can never get back........

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a couple, I have a welder, and can do SS... but without a real machine shop, results will be mediocre a best... :icon_pirat:

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I'm Sorry... but my glass is half-full... not half-empty! I'm a 100% optimistic! :laughing7:

Wouldn't the best advise to give anyone who wanted to build a scoop be...

"Why don't you buy a good used quality made scoop first...
then use it to see what you like, or don't like about the scoop.
Then try to build one that's better for the way YOU USE IT!!"

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
S.S.Tupperware said:
I made a couple, I have a welder, and can do SS... but without a real machine shop, results will be mediocre a best... :icon_pirat:

Hey Pal... you're putting "limits" on you're metal working ability!
And it's not because you don't have "a real machine shop".
Building a scoop isn't that complicated, it's basic metal work.
You can alway find an alternative way to fabricate metal!

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
WOW, all this over "What would be the optimum size for the holes in my homemade scoop...". Good thing he didn't ask how long the handle should be too. LOL!!!!

Too Funny
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions