WOT...Any current users?

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm considering a Coil-tek 15" WOT. The Sovereign GT will be the machine.

Any thoughts or informed opinions?

I see so many coils advertised that it is easy to get mind boggled. Looking for depth and pinpointing ease on dry and wet sand. My research so far leads me to the Coil-tek,

Real life experience would be appreciated. Private mail is O.K. if you want.

TIA

Ralph

Upvote 0

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Ralph got 3 excals, 2 with WOT's & the 2 will have one when warranty runs out. Also have one for my Explorer 2 Tell U anything??? ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thank you sir! At least I'm on the right track.
If you don't mind me asking, who did you have install the WOT on the Excalibur?

Thanks

Ralph

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Electronics guy in PA But now guys R splicing them in & that is what I will do with #3 One is hardwired & other has Coiltek waterproof connector (works good & no leaks after year +)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ralph, Treasure Hunter has the WOT on a couple of his Minelabs. He should reply soon. :coffee2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ralph, I use the WOT on my Sovereign as well as the SEF 15"x18" Butterfly, I have a WOT spliced on my primary Excal, and will soon have my SEF 12"x15" Butterfly spliced on my backup Excal. I personally love the WOT, for me it is fantastic coil for the Excal and the Sov............

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'm about convinced. Thanks guys.

Before doing both of my machines, I'll get one for the Soverign GT first.

More research is now in order.

Ralph

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
Deep sand getting 2 U huh!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
erikk said:
Deep sand getting 2 U huh!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
To say the least.
Between replenishment and the concrete barriers, I feel as effective as "the one".

miller433

Jun 29, 2010
N.E. Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 800, Soveriegn GT, Garrett 1500, Garrett Ace
I went with the WOT this year with good results. I also used the waterproof connector with out any problems. If you order the WOT for the Excal it comes with the waterproof connector with ends to splice to the existing cable, the coil comes with the connector already installed that WILL plug right in to your Soveriegn. I plugged my new WOT into my Soveriegn to make sure everything worked before I cut the cable.

sandnsea49

Jan 16, 2005
Temperance, MI summer-Sarasota, FL winter
Detector(s) used
Etrac, XP Deus, Excalibur 1000, Whites Dual Field PI, Makro Multi Kruzer
I have a WOT 12" coil that came with my used excal but I don't use it because

everyone here on the gulf coast don't. They say it doesn't work well in the water. So even though I have one I never use it but am considering giving it a try this year. What say you guys?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I have a WOT 12" coil that came with my used excal but I don't use it because

sandnsea49 said:
everyone here on the gulf coast don't. They say it doesn't work well in the water. So even though I have one I never use it but am considering giving it a try this year. What say you guys?

I have used the WOT in the water for 2 years now, both on a waterproof Sovereign GT and on an Excal both work fine in the water.

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use the 15 in wot on my gt and prefer it to the 10in.. i find the pinpoint sucks especially on shallower targets.. .but what it lacks in pinpointing it can makeup for in depth especially in wet sand. if you chase the whisper signals you can dig up coins well over a foot deep , those little alum die cast cars two foot deep .. i did some fresh water beach hunting yesterday and found a small girls class ring at about 14 in deep. this paticular beach has been hit very hard over the last few weaks so i had to get creative so i dug every signal that rang popped or chirped.. i found quite a few small ear rings and even quite a few of the backs of the ear rings even thow they are so teenie tiny. for beach or open field hunting the wot is great as long as the area doesnt have too much aluminum trash.. ive also worked the edge of the surf with it and probably my favorite place to hunt with it as it loves the wet sand.. however i find it much too big to use in the surf the coil moves which ever way .the current takes it..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bootyhoundpa said:
however i find it much too big to use in the surf the coil moves which ever way .the current takes it..

For me it is the only coil I use in the surf....Good luck sir... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thank you all for the reply's and help.

Ralph

Pvt. E-mail is fine.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at them on TCmetaldetectors and they want $260 for one WITH the waterproof connectors included... Anyone know if there is a better price out there?
Also, is it easy to do the splice?
I would sure like to get one on my Excal...

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'm sure there are better prices. You beat me to the punch on asking the question.
I'm ready to order but I'm still searching for best price.

Any suggestions? 4H?

Ralph

Pvt e-mail is fine.

miller433

Jun 29, 2010
N.E. Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 800, Soveriegn GT, Garrett 1500, Garrett Ace
...if you know how to solder electrical connections it should be an easy conversion to the WOT. If not ask someone who does, making the connections and making it waterproof are separate tasks. Make sure you use silicone "grease" (got mine at an auto parts store) when pushing the watertight seals in place.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
I looked at them on TCmetaldetectors and they want $260 for one WITH the waterproof connectors included... Anyone know if there is a better price out there?
Also, is it easy to do the splice?
I would sure like to get one on my Excal...

You can use the WOT coil for the Sovereign, it is about $200 at Jerrys Detectinghttp://www.gerrysdetectors.com/products.asp?cat=18 and $228 new at Detector Depot. http://www.detectordepot.com/coiltek_search_coils.htm

Your not going to find it much if any cheaper new....I bought my last one used for $90, I have seen them other go for $125 to $150 used. Any Sovereign coil will work on the Excal, and is usually about $30-$60 cheaper then the Excal version new.....You do have to splice it on though, either hard splice or with connectors......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions