VB to unleash metal detecting debacle

VBDave

Aug 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Tesoro Vaquero
Having recently retired from the city PD, I still have frequent contact with my successor in my old position as the department's coordinator for all of the special events that occur on the Oceanfront. Knowing that I'm a MDer, he called today to let me know about a new event that's occurring this weekend at 31st street on the beach. Seems that a two story high pile of sand will be used as a "treasure mountain" for kids to climb and search for the TEN THOUSAND QUARTER SIZED ALUMINUM TOKENS that will be scattered on the mound. These tokens will can be redeemed for small gifts at several oceanfront stores. Of course, immediately following the event, the mound will be bulldozed flat again, along with most of the unfound TEN THOUSAND QUARTER SIZED ALUMINUM TOKENS. I'm just speechless. :help:

Upvote 0

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky you!!! Sounds like it is going to be a nightmare there for a while. Ouch :sad5:

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it's not even April Fools day. What are they thinking of next? :icon_scratch:

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
thats like someone at clearwater beach throwing bb's all over. not fun!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig 'em
& Ebay 'em

$1.00 Each

Plus Shipping

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess you will have to ignore all high screaming signals for a while... I can nearly always tell solid aluminum as well as thin aluminum slaw...
I'm even getting pretty good at calling pull tabs.. Before they "repaired" my Excal, tabs sounded as good as a gold ring... Now, there is a BIG difference... Havent been surprised by one yet... I guess that is a good thing as long as it stays that way, if it does, I wont have to dig anymore stinking pull tabs.. All the rings of late have a medium low tone, with a nice "ping" to them... Pull tabs also have a medium low tone, but are really loud (even when deep), and dont seem to have that definitive "ping" to them that the rings have had...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when families got together for reunions at a park all the uncles would bring all their wood sawdust and dump it in a pile with lots of loose change for us kids to find. Finding an old sawdust pile of pile of wood chips in the old park still brings up old coins. When you think you have them all you visit it again days later and it was like someone seeded it for you again.

After the event at the beach the tokens probably won't be redeemable and it will be just more junk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread