Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Suppose someone was interested in acquiring another dedicated beach detector.

Let's also suppose that because of a never ending series of posts, the buyer is tad nervous about buying an Excalibur due to their break downs and Minelab's lousy repair service, that many times seems not to resolve anything (or make it worse).

What would most treasure hunter's second choice for a beach detector be and how come?

I'm really interested in your thoughts.

Upvote 0

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
I bought my excal used for about $600. One of the headphones occasionally goes out. I open it up and resolder it. The cable going to the battery pod broke but it was my fault. I fixed it too. Since I have bought it it has more than paid for itself with clad alone. If you can get a good deal on one, I would not pass it up.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to do freshwater you have lot more choices with the 1280, CZ-20 or newer CZ-21. The Tiger Shark and BHID 300. Though Garrett's new AT Pro looks like a fine one but you should also get the waterproof headphones because of the waterproof connector.

For Salt depending on your location you can use many of the same ones for freshwater too. But many like the Excal for depth or using a PI like the Infinium or Sea Hunter or one of the others and dig bobby pins too.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leaving the Excalibur aside for a moment, assume they were never made, where would salt water beach hunters put their faith?

I'm thinking the CZ-21 or BHID would rank highest. Just curious.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelabs or not, I'd go with an Infinium. In fact I did. I like the PI machine and I am going to dig every target anyway!

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge

when i started beach hunting here i had like the 2nd excal. back in the late 90's......the fisher guys kinda laughted at that "tube thing"...............now all of these guys have the tube also.

fisher cz20 and cz6 & 7 something ruled the lane...........of the 15 or so of us.....as of 2009........no fishers can be seen from the 5 to 7 day hunters who spin here. we do have 4 random hunters who hunt at times.....weekends and use cz20's..........two PI guys.

i have two friends who love the bhid, but live up north........north of new york state.

i think they are both great detectors.......cz21 and bhid..........either one would be a good choice.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VLF.........
new............... i would have to say cz21. Acording to someone smarter than me a cz20(cz21 is a upgraded cz20) and excal are both equal in ability and depth when equipped with a same size coil!

used.............. cz20!!!!

PI/TR........ i dunno but one of these will be my next detector!!!!!!!!

DanFL1962

Jan 8, 2010
Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & BHID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Smudge,

Using the BHID now, its the only machine I have ever owned. I love it but am in the same situation as you, want a 2nd machine and Minelab is not an option because of their service reputation. So I guess its the CZ-21 for me.

Dan

JUNKMAGNET

Greenie
Aug 3, 2006
GET A USED CZ20 AND HOPE IT DOSENT NEED SERVICE AS FISHER DOSENT WORK ON CZ20'S THEY JUST CONVERT THEM TO 21'S . I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMEND A CZ21 . OR FISHER IN GENERAL ANYMORE. I HAVE A CZ20 AND A CZ21 NOW THE CZ21 IS MY SPARE . MOST OF MINELABS PROBLEM ARE BECAUSE OF THEIR RELOCATING THEIR FACTORY . AND SECONDLY THIS SUMMER THEY WERE ONLY MAKING GOLD MACHINES TO MEET THE DEMAND FOR THE GOLD STRIKE IN AFRICA, AND THEY LET THEIR EXCAL SUPPLY RUN OUT AND I IMAGINE THEIR REPAIR OF EXCALS GOT WAY BACKED UP . JUST BUY USED UNTILL MINELAB GETS THEIR PROBLEMS SORTED OUT. I HAVE HAD 5 OR 6 EXCALS IN THE LAST 4 YEARS AND EVERY ONE HAD NO PROBLEMS EXCEPT FOR MINOR HEADPHONE ISSUES ON ONE .

socom

Aug 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ptr-91,SocomII,MIAI,Ruger#1,Excal,CZ-21,Sandshark,X-5,X-2,Sov,MXT,6000Di,ToltecII,etc
He just had a bad day with his new 21.Funny thing I have had Excals since the original stingray coil model and 20's to follow suit.My latest Excal is on the fritz(intermittent problem,not as intermittent as minelab service to warrant sending it back)Picked up a 21 and let my brother use the Excal and between both of us their is a standby sandshark.We have no problems with the 3 machines minus excals idiosyncrasies so I guess we will just wait and see.The funny thing is we dont get 8hrs a day to hunt and usually just one day on the weekend so on a ring,jewlry,coin per hour average he blows all the machines away with his cibola from dry to wet sand (saltwater beach).So on a big beach and limited time its a toss up on where to concentrate the efforts on.
Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the input. It is really appreciated.

JUNKMAGNET

Greenie
Aug 3, 2006
Silver Surfer said:
Junkmagnet.... If you had "5 or 6" Excals in the last four years, may I ask why so many if you had no problems with them??
I always have a backup detector and about every two years i buy new ones and sell off the used ones . because of the warranties last only 2 years and i like the peice of mind having them under warranty . also up until last year i was detecting about 10 - 20 hrs a week on average and . the machines have always paid for themselves way before i ever sell them . and i have put alot of hours on them in 2 years time but i do take good care of them . i have owned many other water detectors in the last 12 plus years . i started detecting when i was about 16 with my dad in the water back when i was using a compass coin hustler with a 6 foot fiberglass pole mounted to it and you rested it on your shoulder and used a t bar on the pole to swing the detector with a whopping big 6" coil yet i still found quite alot with that cheap detector . some recent ones are the tiger-shark the bhid the excal 800 / 1000 / excal 2 the cz20 and now the questionable cz21 . they all have their strong points and weaknesses but i have had the best luck hands down with the minelabs and the cz-20 's .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned 3 Excals, I sold my first one I owned for $75 less then I paid for it after 18 months of use to buy a newer version of the blue headphone excal. My first excal cost me $800 used, sold it for $725 and that does not take into consideration the gold, silver and diamonds it found. It was never in the shop.

My 2nd excal I bought for $700 and it is now my backup Excal. It has made 2 trips to the repair shop, one for a bad headset, and second trip because I set it down on my van and it fell and cracked the coil, stupid move on my part. :BangHead: It now has the Sunray S-12 coil hardwired on, but I will be splicing my new SEF 12"x15" Butterfly coil on it very soon.

My 3rd Excal is currently my main detector, it has NEVER been to the shop. I spliced on a WOT coil, the new Team Orcasound headphones and added a straight shaft.. I bought the Excal for $400 used, the used WOT cost me another $90 and the homemade straight shaft was $25. A total of $515. I made a deal with The Buligarian for the headphones.

I would not hesitate for a second to buy another used Excal if a good deal comes along.....

I highly recommend the new Team Orcasound headphones, they are fantastic....... :icon_thumright:

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own 2 Excal. The only times I had problems with them was when I hip mounted them. I still own one with the Sea Search coil and have had no problems in YEARS since I mounted them on long shafts. After each use I unplug the battery and hose off the unit thoroughly.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Les West Central Fl said:
I own 2 Excal. The only times I had problems with them was when I hip mounted them. I still own one with the Sea Search coil and have had no problems in YEARS since I mounted them on long shafts. After each use I unplug the battery and hose off the unit thoroughly.

That is the way to treat her...:icon_thumright: My Excals takes a shower after ever use including taking the straight shaft apart to clean it out so it does not freeze up.....................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread