CZ21 OWNERS WEIGH IN IMPRESSED OR NOT

JUNKMAGNET

Greenie
Aug 3, 2006
A FEW YEARS AGO I SWORE I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER FISHER AFTER THEY WERE TAKEN OVER BY FIRST TEXAS AND DROPPED THE LIFETIME WARRANTY ON THE CZ20 SERIES . AND I HAVE USED EXCALS 1 AND 2 SINCE THEN . LAST WINTER I SOLD MY EXCALS BECAUSE I NEEDED THE CASH RIGHT AWAY. AND FIGURED I WOULD GET NEW ONES IN THE SPRING . AFTER THAT I WAS SO BUISY THIS SUMMER I DIDNT HAVE ANY TIME TO DETECT UNTILL LAST MONTH . SO I SET OFF TO GET AN EXCAL BUT I HEARD ALOT OF RUMBLINGS ON THE WEB ABOUT THE MINELAB RELOCATING CAUSING SERVICE PROBLEMS AND ALSO I FOUND OUT THAT THERE WAS A BIG GOLD STRIKE IN AFRICA I BELIEVE AND MINELAB WAS ONLY MAKING GOLD MACHINES MOST OF THE SUMMER TO KEEP UP WITH DEMANDS OF THE GOLD MACHINES. AND LET THE EXCAL STOCK RUN OUT . I TALKED TO SEVERAL DEALERS AND THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY WERE WAITING SEVERAL MONTHS THIS SUMMER FOR EXCALS AND STILL HAVENT RECEIVED ANY. EVEN KELLYCO DIDNT HAVE ANY , SO I DECIDED TO TRY A CZ 21 EVEN THOUGH I WAS RELUCTANT TO GO BACK TO FISHER I HAD REALLY NO ALTERNATIVE . IT IS THE ONLY COMPETITION FOR THE EXCAL . SO I BOUGHT A NEW CZ21 AND I FOUND A GOOD DEAL ON A USED CZ20 FOR A BACKUP . BECAUSE I DIDNT HAVE ALOT OF FAITH IN THE NEW FISHERS AND I KNOW THE OLD CZ20 'S ARE ABOUT BULLET PROOF . MY FIRST IMPRESSIONS WITH THE CZ21 ARE VERY MUCH NOT IMPRESSED . ISSUE #1 THE LACK OF AN ACTUAL MOMENTARY PINPIONT SWITCH . THE CZ21 HAS A DIGITAL ON / OFF PRESSURE SWITCH WHICH HAS NO MOVEMENT OR ACTION IT IS MERELY A PLATE WITH A PRESSURE SENSITIVE SWITCH BENEATH IT .. THE NEW SWITCH IS OF COURSE A VERY CHEAP REPLACEMENT FOR THE ORIGINAL CZ20 SWITCH WHICH IS AN EXPENSIVE MOMENTARY SWITCH . AND IS BY NO MEANS AN IMPROVEMENT IN ANY WAY . THIS SWITCH TURNS ON PINPOINT AND LEAVES IT ON THEN YOU HAVE TO WAIT 2 OR MORE SECONDS TO PUSH IT AGAIN WHICH IS GREAT IF YOU LIKE TO HEAR A PROLONGED SCREAMING HIGH PICHED SQUEAL EVERY TIME YOU PINPOINT . IT SEEMS LIKE IT TAKES ANOTHER 2 OR MORE SECONDS TO CHANGE IF YOU HAPPEN TO PUSH THE NON-BUTTON BEFORE THE FIRST 2 SECONDS IS UP , SO I FIND MYSELF JUST COUNTING TO THREE AFTER I HAVE THE ITEM PINPOINTED BEFORE PUSHING THE NON BUTTON . THE LAST TIME I DETECTED I WAS OUT FOR ABOUT 7 HOURS AND DUG AROUND 200 TARGETS . NOW MULTIPLY THAT BY 3 SECONDS THATS 600 SECONDS OR 10 MINUTES I STOOD THERE LISTENING TO THE EAR SPLITTING SCREAM OF THE CZ21 PINPOINT . THAT IS ALSO 400 OR MORE PUSHES OF THE NON BUTTON . WHERE THE CZ20 WOULD HAVE TAKEN 200 PUSHES MAX. NOW TO ME THIS IS RIDICULOUS . SO NOW I JUST FORGET THE PINPOINT AND DIG THE TARGETS WITHOUT USING PINPOINT . I HAVE TO TAKE MORE SCOOPS SOMETIMES BUT I DONT WASTE AS MUCH TIME LISTENING TO THE NOISE AND COUNTING TO THREE LIKE AN IDIOT . ISSUE # 2 AFTER 2 DAYS OUT HUNTING PROBABLY 12 HOURS TOTAL I NOTICED THE COIL WAS PIVOTING UP AND DOWN AND COULDN'T BE TIGHTENED FURTHER . SO I TOOK IT APART AND FOUND THAT ONLY ONE RUBBER GASKET WAS FACTORY INSTALLED IN THE STEM AND HAD CAUSED THE STEM TO GRIND INTO THE COIL A NICE GROOVE . AFTER A HALF MILE WALK BACK TO THE CAR I POPPED A NEW SET OF SEALS FOR A CZ20 IN THE STEM AND I WAS BACK TO DETECTING . ISSUE #3 THE CZ21 IS NOT AS SENSITIVE AS THE CZ20 AND THE 20 CAN FIND SMALL CHAIN THAT THE 21 CANT SEE . ALSI I FOUND THAT IN AUTO TUNE MODE THE CZ21 IS LESS SENSITIVE THAN IN DISC 0 MODE . THE OPPOSITE IS SUPPOSED TO BE TRUE . I CAN GET LITTLE EAR RINGS IN DISC MODE THAT IN AUTO-TUNE THE CZ21 WONT RESPOND . ISSUE #4 I NOTICED YESTERDAY WHILE DETECTING I WENT ABOUT 200 FEET WITH OUT A SIGNAL WHICH WAS ODD FOR THIS LOCATION . SO I CHECKED IT ON MY BOOT ZIPPER AND NOTHING SO I CHECKED IT ON MY SCOOP STILL NOTHING . SO I TURNED IT OFF AND BACK ON AGAIN AND IT WORKED FINE AGAIN . THIS HAPPED 2 TIMES YESTERDAY . SO NOW I HAVE TO STOP AND CHECK OVER AND OVER WHILE DETECTING TO MAKE SURE IT IS STILL WORKING SO I AM NOW WASTING MORE TIME . ITS JUST GREAT TO THINK THAT ALL THIS ONLY COSTS 1300 DOLLARS . A BARGAIN .....IT IS NOT. SO FROM NOW ON I WILL USE THE 5 YEAR OLD CZ20 AS MY PRIMARY AND LEAVE THE CZ21 IN THE VEHICLE AS A SPARE . THAT IS ALOT OF MONEY FOR A MARGINAL SPARE. . I HOPE FISHER / FIRST TEXAS IS LISTENING . GET IT TOGETHER AND PUT A REAL SWITCH BACK WHERE IT BELONGS .

Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why are you shouting? Its very annoying to try and read post that are all caps (shouting)
Try reading post for a few hrs and you will also see this to be true.

OP
OP
J

JUNKMAGNET

Greenie
Aug 3, 2006
I AM NOT SHOUTING . I AM BEING VERY QUIET . IT IS EASIER FOR OLDER PEOPLE TO READ AND SEE BIGGER LETTERS . JMO

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have increased the size of the font as it is hard to read with those long sentences. :read2:

I have the CZ-20 and find that is sensitiver to earring backs in Autotune or 0 disc setting. I never use the pinpoint button anyway and have smeared silicone sealant on the rubber cover for extra insurance. In the grass where I would need pinpoint I would use a better detector. Most companies that take over another the first thing they do is see if they can bring in the products at a cheaper cost.

As for the power coming on and going it might be a lack of good contact with a battery or the holder itself. But since it works after you turn it off and on again, it is something inside.

I also use the Excal 1000 and the Tiger Shark with no troubles at all.

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
Look....if you liked your excals then go get another one or two.....As for all the crap you hear about bad service and other frequent repair issues....well there is a reason why you hear so much....that's because there are so many people (and most of the best beach hunters) using them...whatever you do....find one machine that you like and learn it....and do yourself a favor.....learn the beaches that you hunt...in alot of cases folks don't take the time to learn the science of Beach and Surf Hunting.....I find that they put too much stock in the Detector that they use and not enough learning the How, Where and When to hunt on the beaches that they frequent....The best machine isn't going to put you on to the good hunting.....only you can do that....and that is being well rounded and studying the Science of truely successful beach and Surf hunting.....JMHO....Surfdigger

The Jersey Shore Beach and Surf Hunters

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=54483518009&ref=mf

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It might also be worth pointing out that there are some, and I'm not pointing any fingers at anybody, who do not take proper care of their machines, such as cleaning them thoroughly after each use and taking care of the cords (making sure there's enough slack if you body mount the control box, etc.). A lot of detectors need repairs because the cords finally come loose and that's usually a result of them being constantly jerked around.

I believe that unless you have a factory defect, a detector that is well cared for can be used regularly for a long time without needing repairs.

Just my 2 cents, for what its worth.

As for the issues with the CZ-21, I can say there seems to be some growing complaints about them, while folks with CZ-20's swear by theirs and pray they never break down (if you have to send them to Fisher, they send it back as a CZ-21).

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't read the post, sorry. My eyes aren't all that good, typing caps does not make it easier for me to read.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
JUNKMAGNET said:
I AM NOT SHOUTING . I AM BEING VERY QUIET . IT IS EASIER FOR OLDER PEOPLE TO READ AND SEE BIGGER LETTERS . JMO

Oh I should have known better.
It still doesn't and its still just annoying.

OP
OP
J

JUNKMAGNET

Greenie
Aug 3, 2006
Buried Crap NJ said:
JUNKMAGNET said:

Oh I should have known better.
It still doesn't and its still just annoying.

ok i am very sorry to anyone i may have offended with my big letters . wont happen again . crisis averted . lol
i was merely shouting mad that i spent 1300 dollars on a turd .... for the money i should have bought 2 more used cz20's instead . i hope that the capital letters incident hasn't been too traumatic for you.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
junkmagnet, its hard to feel good about a machine when you are so negative about the company to begin with! you dont like the pinpoint button.....the original fisher used an expensive pinpoint button that ended up being a common failure!!! what about that? the original fisher must have really built junk....right? no!!!, we all know thats not right but why not blast them for a design flaw?

i have a old cz20 that is still working great but i do not use the pinpoint button and dont need to.
you say one of the rubber coil to shaft grommets was missing. how do you know it was shipped to you like that? how did you just happen to have some extras on hand?
the machine working intermittently might be a problem! call fisher and have a good/polite attitude when you talk to them and you will get positive results.

take a step back and think about this!!! anyone can tell you had a negative view of fisher/firsttexas/bountyhunter to begin with! can you in full detail explain your views? my personal experiences with fisher and first texas have been outstanding! and there are many positive reports on the cz21!!! with the main complaint
being "the feel" of the pinpoint button. fisher even came up with a stick on button to place over the disliked button for those that want the on/off click effect.

OP
OP
J

JUNKMAGNET

Greenie
Aug 3, 2006
seeker41 said:
junkmagnet, its hard to feel good about a machine when you are so negative about the company to begin with! you dont like the pinpoint button.....the original fisher used an expensive pinpoint button that ended up being a common failure!!! what about that? the original fisher must have really built junk....right? no!!!, we all know thats not right but why not blast them for a design flaw?

i have a old cz20 that is still working great but i do not use the pinpoint button and dont need to.
you say one of the rubber coil to shaft grommets was missing. how do you know it was shipped to you like that? how did you just happen to have some extras on hand?
the machine working intermittently might be a problem! call fisher and have a good/polite attitude when you talk to them and you will get positive results.

take a step back and think about this!!! anyone can tell you had a negative view of fisher/firsttexas/bountyhunter to begin with! can you in full detail explain your views? my personal experiences with fisher and first texas have been outstanding! and there are many positive reports on the cz21!!! with the main complaint
being "the feel" of the pinpoint button. fisher even came up with a stick on button to place over the disliked button for those that want the on/off click effect.

do you have a cz-21 ? i do not have to use the pinpoint at all the beaches i go to either just the trashy ones like i have been doing lately . and the rubber grommet wasn't there and that is how it was shipped . and i have had cz parts ever since i started using them long ago. and for your last question i can explain in detail my views.
hey look , i am not trying to start any arguments with anybody here my post was intended to see if other cz 21 owners have the same opinion and or problems as me . who might like to comment on their thoughts . i mean to offend no one i am just not pleased with the cz21 compared to the cz 20 ... i am not bashing cz20's at all , i have used them for years and absolutely love them and i have never had any "switch failure" . i dont know if you have read the entire post or not . i am not predisposed to hating fisher nor have i ever had issues with fisher untill this last month . with the exception being i switched from the cz 20's to the excals after first texas bought fisher out . and took away the lifetime warranty and discontinued the rock solid trouble free cz20 ..... that told me maybe their bottom line was more important than their product line. which in my past experience's with the previous owners of fisher running the helm quality was their bottom line and that is why i used the cz20's for years. when the new owners decided to then reconfigure the new cz21 and cheapen the switch and add a delay to the reset time , then take out the lights . what other internal heavy duty circuitry might also have been cheapened ? refinements like the re designed battery door and seal are good .... but eliminating heavy duty electronics in favor of cheaper less heavy duty electronics . is not something a company that cares about quality does. so im just saying if fisher wants to sell me a 1300 dollar detector in the future. i expect premium components to go along with the premium price. and you mentioned the main complaints were.........the pinpoint button. so others do agree with me .

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Forget autotune!
Run the sensitivity as high as you can!

I think you would be happier if you sold your detectors and took up fishing instead.
One less metal detector on the beach is a good thing IMHO.

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
I agree with others on not using the pinpoint button.I never used mine because of
the rubber butt on it ,since some had them crack when older.In normal configuration,
I just ran in autotune,then flipped the switch with my thumb to disc. 0 to ID.
I always wanted to get that spring loaded button that a person custom made for the
CZ20 that switched form auto to ID with just a push of a button,and would
automatically switch back when released,and was installed in the under the cuff
configuration for balance.But sold the CZ20 when Fisher sold out.Kinda wish I
hadn't,though I love my Excals.The new CZ21 looks the same to me as far as the
knobs are concerned,so should be able to be used like the old ones.Good luck with it
anyway,as it seems that Mike in Florida has been doing quite well with his.HH Joe

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE USE OF CAPS, BUT THE LACK OF USING PARAGRAPHS WILL STOP ME FROM READING A THREAD EVERY TIME......

I HAVE YET TO HEAR A SINGLE SOUND COME FROM MY COMPUTER WHEN SOMEONE TYPES IN CAPS......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread