Beach Hunting in Va Beach...MACHINES...MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK?

CAPTBEACH

Sep 30, 2010

Attachments

• DSCF0013resized.jpg
    DSCF0013resized.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 684
  • DSCF0013resized.jpg
    DSCF0013resized.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 607
Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CaptBeach,

What you're asking for doesn't exist, sad to say. You can get one detector for salt water beach/surf hunting, and another one for homesite/relic hunting. You are expressing two different needs and one detector will likely not fulfill both.

The closest you may come is with the Fisher CZ-21, but I don't know what kind of depth it would get for relic hunting.

A Pulse Induction (PI) detector is great at depth, but you can't discriminate anything, which isn't bad for relic hunting per se, but in hunting trashy home lots, it will take you to a new dimension of hell.

If you want the best beach/surf machine: most folks will promote either the Excal, the CZ-21, or the Garrett Infinium (PI), all of which are pretty evenly priced. I wouldn't overlook the White's Dual Field if you're interested in PI machine.

The best home site/relic machine is an argument I don't even want to start. :D But some have expressed good feelings about the Tesoro Tejon.

OP
OP
C

CAPTBEACH

Sep 30, 2010
I think I may wait until the new Garrett AT comes out...hearing lots of Buzz about it...

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CAPTBEACH said:
I think I may wait until the new Garrett AT comes out...hearing lots of Buzz about it...

I am probably buying one myself.

Look into the depth of the thing for relic hunting though, not sure how deep its supposed to go.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Check with Virigina Beach Max, he has used every detector made for the beach, knows that area like the back of his hand.........And will point you in the right direction....

alittle video of the Master....

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
What exactly do you have there? I see "Garrett" on the manual but can't make out which detector it is....... You difinitiely have a serious assortment of coils. They may be interchangable with other Garrett detectors. They do make some good detectors, and dollar for dollar, it would be nice if you could use the coils you have, even if the detector is outdated.

OP
OP
C

CAPTBEACH

Sep 30, 2010
AS far as I can tell its a Garrett Master Hunter BFO with just about every coil you could get...LOL...gonna try it out in the yard later...my property was supposed to be a site of an old 1700's barn and stable...we'll see soon enough...looks like I've been bitten by the MD bug...and I aint even found anything yet...

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
CAPTBEACH said:
AS far as I can tell its a Garrett Master Hunter BFO with just about every coil you could get...LOL...gonna try it out in the yard later...my property was supposed to be a site of an old 1700's barn and stable...we'll see soon enough...looks like I've been bitten by the MD bug...and I aint even found anything yet...

Wait until you pull up some gold or silver.

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI
those coils are downright scary..id trip over those in the water... ;D...good luck with that hh

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new Garrett AT Pro looks great but it does not have a salt mode which may give unwanted signals in salt water beaches.

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that machine is a blast from the past.. i imagine there was a timewhen that was top of the line.. i use a soveriegn gt for both beach and land... at the beach it is excellent.. on land it takes a little more skill.. it is very good for open field colonial site hunting.. goes deep if tuned right for the area you are hunting.. i dont like using it for trashy areas , but thats me.. cost is 825 ish. if you are not sure you are going to like this hobby and dont want to make a financial commitment then maybe an ace 250 would be a better starting point... however if you want to hunt in the water you would need a waterproof unit.. good luck.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That BFO detector is a dinosaur compared to the ones even made a couple years ago. As Smudge said there is no ONE perfect detector for all places. For the beach you can't go wrong with the Excal for the water or the Sovereign GT for the shore or in the woods for relics and does a killer job in parks also. Both the Excal and Sov GT are very deep with excellent disc, unlike the BFO.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all u have to do is walk down to beach any given day around low tide

and see what detectors are being use.............simple solution.

anywhere from 3 to 6 hunters everyday.......come on down........we all use the same. or 99% do

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread