Scoop Worked - Whites Dual Field Detector didnt

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Scoop Worked - Whites Dual Field Detector didn't

Since I just welded my scoop back together, I was determined to get out to the beach and put it to good use finding treasure. I was there half hour before the sun came up. Turned the Dual Field Whites detector on and the threshold hum was too low and too fixed, without any fluctuation at all. I had to get it within 6" of my SS scoop for it to register the metal. When I did force it to signal on the scoop, it would momentarily recalibrate to the correct tone and start to respond to the scoop 2' away. That would last only a few seconds before it went back to the low hum without any sensitivity. Unless someone on here has had this problem before and it is an easy fix I can do myself, I guess I will have to send it back to the factory. >:( Frustrated, I drove back home and got the Tiger Shark, then back to the beach. Fortunately, it is only 10 miles away, but by now the school busses were on the road and rush hour traffic was picking up. Of course, by the time I got back to the beach, I missed the low tide and since the Tiger Shark is not as stable in the water as the PI, I stuck to the wet sand. No Gold :'( $3.34 in clad, 2 junk earrings, 2 cars, 2 tent stakes, 1 lead weight and one brass eyelet. I got some much needed exercise, and the newly welded scoop is stronger than ever, so the day was not a bust, just not what I had hoped for. Hope your hunt today was better. Ralph

Attachments

• Trash & Treasure 002.JPG
    Trash & Treasure 002.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 514
Upvote 0

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Re: Scoop Worked - Whites Dual Field Detector didn't

Sorry about the detector being on the Fritz. I always carry a back up. Good job on welding your scoop. Gots to have a good scoop!

HH

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A backup is always great to have , if you can afford it. Backup beach machines tend to get a little pricey.

I was really sadden to hear about the White's. That's the first I've heard of a Dual Field conking out on somebody. :(

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI

i guess my bad luck rubbed off on you...i was at it from 9 to 12 for low tide here....lots of hits but no gold today...guess we'll have to share my star sapphire ring till you get one....most of the coins i dug up [about 54] were worn thin as paper...even found a walking liberty quarter and buffalo nickel...but worn thin as paper...do you find coins worn thin at charlston beach??? anyway we will carry on ..part of life is the struggle and how you react to it...good luck tomorrow...hh dave

OP
OP
petersra

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
Detector(s) used

Your thin coins and older dates have obviously been there for a while. I have recovered very few older coins from the beaches here and chances are they were recent drops. We have lots of shifting sand around here, and I think the older stuff is buried out of reach. Now if we get a big storm, that may change, but since we have not had a significant storm in 20 years, there is a supply of older targets not recovered at the time of being dropped, that have drifted out of sight just waiting for the right conditions to come back to the surface. Of course after hurricane Hugo in 1989, the islands and beaches were off limits to everyone, even residents. I have no idea what was recovered at that time, since I was not into this hobby then. I have read stories in other places where storms threw coins and jewelry onto beaches from the depths of Davey Jones locker, but I have not experienced that myself. I have found a few paper thin coins with older dates in mountain rivers but not really in the ocean. Ralph

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI

just a thought..not every battery is born the same. being a PI user i have found 1or2 dying batteries amoug the same group i installed.just like cell phone batteries......made in CHINA.....this will effect the performance of the WHITES PI.. ???

OP
OP
petersra

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
Detector(s) used

KEYSHUNTER said:
just a thought..not every battery is born the same. being a PI user i have found 1or2 dying batteries among the same group i installed.just like cell phone batteries......made in CHINA.....this will effect the performance of the WHITES PI.. ???

I spoke with Kevin at Whites. First thing he said was to check the batteries. Well, I just put new ones in last night and I got a very strong battery signal when I turned the threshold button counterclockwise. After I got off the phone with Kevin, I went and checked the batteries again just in case there was something wrong with one of them that I could not initially detect. They checked out fine. However, when I turned it back on this afternoon I could not get the unit to malfunction again. I detected all around the back yard and it did not skip a beat. Kevin told me to send it in under warranty and have it checked out. Now that it is working fine, I hate to do that, because if it ain't broke when they look at it, they ain't going to fix it. I don't know what could have caused the problem this morning. Of course, since I just changed the batteries, maybe one was not making good contact or something...... Another thought is that after I washed off the detector this morning, I leaned it against the wall to dry, and I accidentally knocked it over. I do not recommend banging your detector around, but in this case it seems like it might have jarred something back into place. I am going to try water hunting with it again tomorrow morning. However, this time I will take my backup Tiger Shark. Thanks for the suggestions. Ralph

D

digum smacks

caution BE VERY CAREFULL the latch easily comes undone and water gets in the unit.it catches on your shirt or something and you are finished happend to me twice once out of the water and guess what once in the water

OP
OP
petersra

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
Detector(s) used

snooksion2 said:
caution BE VERY CAREFULL the latch easily comes undone and water gets in the unit.it catches on your shirt or something and you are finished happend to me twice once out of the water and guess what once in the water

Thanks for the heads up. I have caught my latches on my pocket also, not quite to the point of opening up, but I could tell it was close. Because of a previous post of your, regarding that issue, I now use cable ties to tie the two latches together so they can't open without removing the ties. At less than a penny a piece, it is cheap insurance to have to cut them off when I have to change batteries.

Now back to the saga of the malfunctioning Dual Field... I checked it before I left the house this morning to go to the beach and it worked fine. I got to the beach and again it would not stabilize. Fortunately, I had my Tiger Shark with me so I put the PI back in the car and off I went with the Tiger Shark. Found $1.35 in change, a silver plated cat face charm and a lead fishing weight. When I got back to the car, I tried the Dual Field again, and it was now working, but making a "WaaaaaaWaaaaaaWaaaaaa" sound, like electrical interference. Off I went to another beach about 5 miles away and the Dual Field worked fine for the next 3 hours. Although I have detected with the Dual Field at the first beach at least a dozen times without a problem, I am suspecting that there may now be some kind of electrical interference that will not let it stabilize. Since the interference comes and goes, perhaps someone has an illegal transmission device that they turn on and off. I don't know, but I don't think it is the fault of the Dual Field. I don't think the problem is solved, but then it may not be a problem with the Dual Field, so I don't need to send it anywhere. Thanks to all of you for your input and suggestions. HH, Ralph

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI

maybe someone dumped an excaliber in the ocean and forgot to turn it off :laughing7:?? slim chance but maybe under ground cables ,militery left overs from sub detectors..

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI

the whaa whaa sound seems to loud .look for upgraded utility lines??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread