Garrett AT Pro information

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone is interested in the new kid on the block, the Garrett AT PRO. One thing to keep in mind if you plan on using it for wading in the water is you will NEED the accessory WATER PROOF HEADPHONES which require and extra $$$. Even if you are not going diving or using a snorkel, the connection where the wire enters the controls has to be waterproof and this requires the higher priced phones.

Garrett says the submersible headphones are necessary if you are going to submerge the phones. So just to not be surprised, plan on ordering the extra phones if you wade or go out in the rain. It is still a good deal............As for it working well at most saltwater beaches that is still the question.

Attachments

• At Pro1.jpg
    At Pro1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 641
  • At Pro1.jpg
    At Pro1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 598
Upvote 0

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
Hey Dennis....I noticed that on the demo videos of the machine that it has an external speaker as you can hear the signal on the video and the demonstrater doesn't have the headphones plugged in.....I was a bit confused how can a waterproof machine have an external speaker??.....can you clue me in here?.....Brian

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian, Garrett hasn't answered my request about this. I am assuming it is a waterproof speaker. However if the controls are under the water I don't think you'd get much sound. I was concerned about Garrett only saying you needed the optional waterproof headphones if you submerged the headphones. Only guys that dive or snorkel do that, except for me when I fall down. This is no diving detector with a max depth of 10 foot which means it can also leak at less than that. The waterproof phones are the same ones you can use with the Infinium LS. Garrett also did not address the use of high quality phones like Black Widows or Grey Ghosts and assume you need the waterproof plug.

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer is before the question but this is an exchange I had with Garrett

Hi Tom,

The AT Pro is a VLF detector so it is not designed specifically for saltwater operation like a Pulse Induction detector is. However it works very well on the wet beach and in the salt water when it is adjusted accordingly. It will work better than your ACE 250 because of the DD coil and the ability to ground balance to saltwater.

The AT Pro is going to be a detector that you can used in just about any environment. I can’t wait until I can get one myself.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks and have a great day,

Brad Keel

Customer Service - Tech Support

Garrett Metal Detectors

Ph: 972-494-6151 972-494-6151 / 1-800-527-4011 1-800-527-4011

Fax: 972-494-1881

http://www.garrett.com

Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:09 AM
To: Sales
Subject: AT-Pro Saltwater Capabilities

My wife and I have ACE 250's and love them. We hunt the beach here in Florida quite often and are somewhat limited in our capabilities to the dry sand, because of salt mineralization, . I have been looking to upgrade and have found the AT-Pro to be a highly desirable option. My biggist concern is whether or not it will perform well in a salt water environment. You make mention of it's waterproof qualities but seem to dance around it's salt water capabilities.

My question is: Will the AT-pro perform well in the water or wet sand at a salt water beach? (I am not talking waterproof capabilites.)

Thanks,

Tom

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect we're going to learn that it's not adviseable to submerge this detector in salt water. I hope this isn't the case but I suspect that will be the outcome.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Sandman said:
Everyone is interested in the new kid on the block, the Garrett AT PRO. One thing to keep in mind if you plan on using it for wading in the water is you will NEED the accessory WATER PROOF HEADPHONES which require and extra $$$. Even if you are not going diving or using a snorkel, the connection where the wire enters the controls has to be waterproof and this requires the higher priced phones.

Garrett says the submersible headphones are necessary if you are going to submerge the phones. So just to not be surprised, plan on ordering the extra phones if you wade or go out in the rain. It is still a good deal............

The phones that come with it have the waterproof connector should be fine for rain or even wading if you do not get the actual phones you are wearing on your head wet. Same plug as the there water proof pi detectors that also come with the regular phones have worn them wading with no problems.

Jason

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
bigscoop said:
I suspect we're going to learn that it's not adviseable to submerge this detector in salt water. I hope this isn't the case but I suspect that will be the outcome.

Do not know if it will work well in the salt or not but it is submergible to 10ft. Salt water is not wetter than fresh water so do not see what the problem would be. It is rated water proof to 10ft seems people are having a hard time believing that you can get it wet.

Jason

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Jason in TN said:
bigscoop said:

Do not know if it will work well in the salt or not but it is submergible to 10ft. Salt water is not wetter than fresh water so do not see what the problem would be. It is rated water proof to 10ft seems people are having a hard time believing that you can get it wet.

Jason
Yes i still don't understand why some don't understand ..." waterproof to 10 feet "... and you are right salt water is no wetter than fresh water... some try to make a big deal out of nothing..

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quote author=Jason in TN link=topic=354810.msg2544888#msg2544888 date=1286162865]
bigscoop said:

Jason
[/quote]

Kappy, Jason,
It's not about getting the unit wet, and "yes"....submersing something in freshwater is a whole lot different then submersing it in saltwater because saltwater is, "a lot more corrosive". This is the concern.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I will try to say this slow it is water proof to 10ft if no water gets in it will not matter if it is fresh or salt.
The electronics are sealed 100 percent from the outside they are separate from the battery
Compartment and also from the waterproof speaker compartment.

So one more time it is water proof to 10ft does not matter what kind of water you put it in as long as it is not boiling water.

If you are going to get your head under you will need the waterproof head phones.

I do not understand why people can not just believe it is waterproof.

Jason

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have watched all five youtubes

i have pre-ordered 1 two weeks ago

i may add one so i can have a spare

thanks jason.........sandman

the tech said: good for 10ft underwater all day..............batteries in one compartment.......brains in another and the new improved DOUBLE D COIL...............bottle caps - nails.......u can i.d......by sound...........how kewl is that...........DISCRIMINATION to die for.

he said all terrain.........& he might have said BEACH, ........said hot rocks.........said a lot of things i liked, but

did he actully say........salt water beach?

i am going back and re-play them again today

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
bigscoop said:
quote author=Jason in TN link=topic=354810.msg2544888#msg2544888 date=1286162865]
bigscoop said:

Jason

Kappy, Jason,
It's not about getting the unit wet, and "yes"....submersing something in freshwater is a whole lot different then submersing it in saltwater because saltwater is, "a lot more corrosive". This is the concern.
[/quote]

Corrosiveness of saltwater and submersibility isn't the concern....I'm sure the machine can handle that....the big question is how this machine (as a single frequency unit) will perform in wet highly mineralized sand.....and how it will compare to submersible multifrequency machines on the market and I can see that the question is "no".....I'm not knocking the AT pro....it's a great machine for what it is designed for.....but it has it's limitations....especially in salt.....no problem....I'll stick with my Minelabs....JMHO....

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Hey Max
Think they will be good detectors think with the right adjustments they will work fair in the salt water I do not think they will be great in the salt but I could be wrong on that.

Brian

I am with you on the excal probably being a better beach salt water detector. Time will tell.
The thing about the new Garrett is it will do much more than the excal for about half the price.
So if beach hunting is all I was doing I would think the excal may be the way to go. The thing that
gets me frustrated is folks just for some reason just do not want to believe that you can get it wet.
Maybe now that there is a nice long video to explain it they will now.

Jason

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling 6 months down the road it is not as water proof as they think. I still don't think you will really see it shine in the salt though.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everything I see is that the AT Pro will function in salt water as long as you don't take it below ten feet.

Garrett went to great pains to point out how the detector is compartmentalized to prevent flooding and I believe them. If they made a waterproof machine that wasn't Garrett would never live it down and I don't think they'd risk their reputation on something like that.

The only question is, once you have adjusted the detector for salt water mineralization, how much depth do you lose? This I think is likely to be the place where dedicated beach machines will trump over the AT Pro.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
S.S.Tupperware said:
I have a feeling 6 months down the road it is not as water proof as they think. I still don't think you will really see it shine in the salt though.
I think it will be waterproof & work in salt.............. On waterproof Garrett has no water detectors that i hear of that leak The Infinium or the other PI detectors of Garrett.................The ones that put out out all this misinformation on the AT Pro are ones that are not Garrett fans...............But you see it might & then might not no one knows yet.............And there is more hunters inland than on the salt water coast's........... And i am one that might see salt water once every 3 years for a week ..............When i go on vacation i don't head south to the beaches i head north to Canada ...................Never did care for that dam sand & heat...................... But there is a lot more out there that hunt fresh water than salt water....... I am a inland and fresh water hunter so to me the AT pro will be a dream detector.***************

Attachments

• at_pro_logo.jpg
    at_pro_logo.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 296

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just spoke with Garrett about my main concern and it sounds like they have addressed just about every issue you can think of. "My main concerns included the "prolonged abrassion of the harsher saltwater environment on the face of LCD screen and touch pad",....but evidently this issue was addressed and it is no longer a concern.

As far as depth loss when adjusting for heavy mineralization, Garrett said that during their test they didn't notice any measureable loss in depth.

Sounds like a great deal for the buck and a fantastic machine! I think I'm going to have to order one.

DanFL1962

Jan 8, 2010
Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & BHID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks bigscoop. Looking forward to seeing these start showing up on the beaches and in the surf. I wonder if Dealers will be able to keep a good stock on hand or will there be back orders? I'd like to run over to Kellyco in November and check one out.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DanFL1962 said:
Thanks bigscoop. Looking forward to seeing these start showing up on the beaches and in the surf. I wonder if Dealers will be able to keep a good stock on hand or will there be back orders? I'd like to run over to Kellyco in November and check one out.

My thoughts exactly. Pick me up on your way over there! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions