Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok folks, here's the situation:

I want a detector for the salt beaches here in Florida. I also plan to spend a lot of time in the surf and on the dry and wet sand. I will be hunting almost exclusively on the east coast of Florida.

I cut my chops using the Sand Shark so I know what I'm in for with pulse induction machines, especially in trashy areas. In my area, the iron/bobby pin/ twisted wire pieces makes up about 20% of my day's finds with the Sand Shark, so it wasn't a terrible ratio. Bottle caps are my biggest nemesis!

I sold the Sand Shark and am ready to buy a White's Dual Field, mostly because of the greater depth and the sensitivity to small gold. I'm not worried about the "neutral buoyancy" (read that: floating) coil at all. I have a way to work with that.

But I hesitate. There are a lot of folks out there who love their Excals, in spite of some reported malfunctions and a long history of terrible Minelab customer service (maybe that's starting to change?).

I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges, but neither of these detectors are cheap and while I imagine one day I'll own both, for now it has to be one or the other.

I know of the Excal's superior iron masking capabilities, but like I said, iron makes up only about 20% of my finds on any given day. I wish the Excal could do something about all those blasted bottle caps without knocking out all the other targets, but I know I ask too much.

I can't help but feel that the Dual Field might trump the Excal on depth and small gold sensitivity.

I'd really like to hear the thoughts of dedicated Excal and Dual Field users out there. There's a lot of people who post on this section who opinion I respect greatly.

If anyone thinks I'm ignoring another good beach detector, let me me know too! :icon_thumleft:

I'm going to buy one or the other come Friday.

Upvote 0

darkwing_66

Jul 10, 2010
northern alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer2 tesoro tejon

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
All i can tell you is i like Garrett then Tesoro then Whites ..... all 3 have great service.. Minelab's service for the last couple of years is not great They will go with great service for a few months then there service falls apart.............. then they are good again & then bad at service again.......... and just keep going that way ... up & down...up & down... and that excalibur seems to be haveing it's problems........ I hate to say that i have been a minelab person for 14 years give or take but they do scare me right now "again"

Attachments

• moneypad.jpg
    moneypad.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 537
  • moneypad.jpg
    moneypad.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 546
OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DanFL1962 said:
Smudge, I pulled about 30 bottle caps out of Jetty Park for you today. ;D All clear to go dig up the gold.

Much obliged! ;D

But I think those suckers breed in the sand at night when no one's around.

Like roaches.

DanFL1962

Jan 8, 2010
Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & BHID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
LOL...no doubt they reproduce faster than we can clean them out.

I don't know how far you live from Cocoa Beach Smudge but if its convenient for you, you're welcome to take my BHID out for a few hours to see how you like it.

Dan

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DanFL1962 said:

I don't know how far you live from Cocoa Beach Smudge but if its convenient for you, you're welcome to take my BHID out for a few hours to see how you like it.

Dan

That is very kind of you to offer. I have it narrowed down to my original two, the Dual Field or the Excal. It's going to be one of those two.

I posted a question regarding depth, as I'm getting conflicting reports as to how much of an advantage PI's have over the Excals and CZ's in low mineralized beaches like we have in Florida.

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
I have the DFX 300 with the 12" coil And I'm hitting stuff at over a foot down wet or dry! I just picked up a great new book that will help you get the most out of this machine, it's called digging deeper with the DFX by Jeff Foster! :read2: HH!

Smudge said:
DanFL1962 said:

Dan

That is very kind of you to offer. I have it narrowed down to my original two, the Dual Field or the Excal. It's going to be one of those two.

I posted a question regarding depth, as I'm getting conflicting reports as to how much of an advantage PI's have over the Excals and CZ's in low mineralized beaches like we have in Florida.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, yesterday I bit the bullet, drank the cool-aid, totally blew my budget, and bought the Excal.

It was not an easy decision, but in the end, two things swung me towards the Excal over the Dual Field.

The first is depth. Since I hunt primarily in areas of low mineralization, the Dual Field and the Excal ran reasonably close. No question the PI could go deeper, but with the Excal hitting targets in my area in excess of 12", at least in the hands of an experienced detectorist, the Excal goes plenty deep enough for me. Had I been dealing with highly mineralized beaches, I would have likely bought the Dual Field.

The iron masking also won me over, as the Dual Field is extremely sensitive to iron flakes, even tiny ones (I've used other PI's and experienced this first hand) and therefore not, in my opinion, necessarily the best thing to have in trashy beach areas, which there are plenty of around here. However, I fully intend to buy another PI later.

I intend to run the Excal with minimal discrimination, so there will be plenty of pull tabs and bobby pins in my future. That's ok. Avoiding bird shot sized iron flakes will be compensation enough.

I am fully impressed by the depth and small target capabilities of the Excal, now I pray it functions normally and doesn't have to be sent in for any kind of repair any time soon. Minelab has a lot of reputation to rebuild in that area.

I also picked up an Anderson straight shaft for it, with the control mounted behind the elbow and the audio cd of Excal sounds to start familiarizing myself with what the detector is trying to tell me.

I'm heading out Monday morning to test this thing and I'll let you know how I did.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Smudge said:
Well, yesterday I bit the bullet, drank the cool-aid, totally blew my budget, and bought the Excal.

It was not an easy decision, but in the end, two things swung me towards the Excal over the Dual Field.

The first is depth. Since I hunt primarily in areas of low mineralization, the Dual Field and the Excal ran reasonably close. No question the PI could go deeper, but with the Excal hitting targets in my area in excess of 12", at least in the hands of an experienced detectorist, the Excal goes plenty deep enough for me. Had I been dealing with highly mineralized beaches, I would have likely bought the Dual Field.

The iron masking also won me over, as the Dual Field is extremely sensitive to iron flakes, even tiny ones (I've used other PI's and experienced this first hand) and therefore not, in my opinion, necessarily the best thing to have in trashy beach areas, which there are plenty of around here. However, I fully intend to buy another PI later.

I intend to run the Excal with minimal discrimination, so there will be plenty of pull tabs and bobby pins in my future. That's ok. Avoiding bird shot sized iron flakes will be compensation enough.

I am fully impressed by the depth and small target capabilities of the Excal, now I pray it functions normally and doesn't have to be sent in for any kind of repair any time soon. Minelab has a lot of reputation to rebuild in that area.

I also picked up an Anderson straight shaft for it, with the control mounted behind the elbow and the audio cd of Excal sounds to start familiarizing myself with what the detector is trying to tell me.

I'm heading out Monday morning to test this thing and I'll let you know how I did.
If U run it in Disc there will B no bobbie pins in your future and after a while U will B able to eliminate about 75% of the bottle caps but I have yet to see anyone differentiate pull tabs from gold rings

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
erikk said:
Smudge said:

If U run it in Disc there will B no bobbie pins in your future and after a while U will B able to eliminate about 75% of the bottle caps but I have yet to see anyone differentiate pull tabs from gold rings

Thanks for the input Erikk. I'm going to run at minimal discrimination. I'm glad you've reached a point where you feel you safely discriminate out bottle caps and bobby pins.

As for myself, I'm too nervous to do that right now. I'm one of those "dig everything" guys, and I doubt I'll change. Call me stubborn. ;D As long as those iron flakes go away, I'm happy. :icon_thumleft:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: good choice! :icon_thumleft:
before you do anything , check everything out thoroughly to make sure you got a good one.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Smudge said:
erikk said:
Smudge said:

Thanks for the input Erikk. I'm going to run at minimal discrimination. I'm glad you've reached a point where you feel you safely discriminate out bottle caps and bobby pins.

As for myself, I'm too nervous to do that right now. I'm one of those "dig everything" guys, and I doubt I'll change. Call me stubborn. ;D As long as those iron flakes go away, I'm happy. :icon_thumleft:
U will not have a choice as
The excal will not detect iron/bobbie pins in Disc mode
As for the bottle caps I said a percentage can B ignored not all. The first couple dozen U dig U will C what I mean

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
U will not have a choice as
The excal will not detect iron/bobbie pins in Disc mode
As for the bottle caps I said a percentage can B ignored not all. The first couple dozen U dig U will C what I mean

I have had an Excal for close to a year and totally agree with Erikk. In discrimination mode I almost never dig bobby pins, unless I dig a questionable signal that nulls out. I often bypass bottle caps. And I am getting to the point where I can often predict that I am over a pull-tab although I usually dig them anyway. Note that I typically run with discrimination set on the lowest setting possible.

Welcome to the Excal club Smudge!

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Yes, Erikk is right. I run in disc mode, with disc set to minimum, and I don't think I've ever dug a Bobby pin in 4 years.

Congrats on a great machine!!!!

Jim

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I've got a Excalibur II and a Whites BeachHunter 300 ID.

I bought the Excalibur II first, and really like it - when it works.

I've had to send it back to minelab for service 4 times so far in the first 3 years of ownership (thank goodness for the extended warranty I purchased).

Each time it goes to the factory, it usually takes 60 days before I get it back.

So I've had it 3 years, and its been at the service center 200 days of those 3 years.

The first failure was at the beginning of summer, which meant the Excalibur was out of action during prime hunting time.

The first time it had to go back, I purchased a Whites Beach Hunter 300 ID as a backup detector.

After using it for the first summer, and finding a lot of deep goodies, I made it my main detector - using it every day for almost 6 months. (I live across the street from the beach).

After not using the Excalibur for six months, I decided to give it another try, and it worked well for about 60 days of continuous use. Then it started having problems again, producing false signals with every swing. So I sent it back for service, and started using the Whites again.

I've learned the excalibur is a great detector. When it works.

But better plan on having a backup detector for when it doesn't.

L_Bo

Oct 30, 2007
MD & DE beaches
Hey Smudge I am in the same boat. I have been swinging a Fisher 1280 and thinking about these two. I was lucky and able to test out the PI over the weekend. I picked up a lot of junk in the sand and surf, never realized the beaches were so junky. I know you can train your ear and all but I am really leaning towards the Excal.

Good choice and good luck.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
L_ bo and I did a little test on which is deeper on a few targets, the DF PI........or the excal in AM, with a Amp..Both Maxed out on settings........Guess which hit all 3 targets no problem? And which got 2 only?................You made a good choice Smudge.......Congrads...............joe

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my Excal 2 for a month and I've found more good stuff with it than I've found with my other 3 detectors total. Wouldn't trade it for any other!!

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
OldeBeechnut said:
L_ bo and I did a little test on which is deeper on a few targets, the DF PI........or the excal in AM, with a Amp..Both Maxed out on settings........Guess which hit all 3 targets no problem? And which got 2 only?................You made a good choice Smudge.......Congrads...............joe

I doubt you'd run the excal like that in auctual hunting conditions.
In heavy black sand a PI is better on depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread