Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the beach at daylight, just at the end of an outgoing tide.... Rather than hunt the way I usually do, which is to just pick a line and walk it until I start hitting targets, I walked to the high side of the beach and looked at the water. About 200 yds down the beach, I clearly saw a "hole" that had a high sandbar between it and the shoreline.. "Sand moved" I asked myself... Looked good to me, so I entered the water at the closest end..
Hadnt gone ten feet, and hit a nice low tone right at the beginning of the outer sandbar... One scoop, and there was the gold.. What a way to start the morning!!
Continued on, working back and forth, and never made it more than a couple feet without hitting a signal.. Plenty of older, dark coins. After cleaning back at home, many turned out to be from the late 60's to mid 70's.. Most probably not lost back then, but more than likely they were buried for a while...
Nearly every target I dug in that area came up with the first scoop, although the hardpan was still a good 2 1/2 ft down in the sand..
By noon, the beach was packed with people, as was the water... It always slows me down when the water is full of people, whether due to zig zagging around them or having them stop me to ask what I was doing.
Finally, by 3pm, I was toast.. I knew better than to hunt that long, but when you have a spot continuously producing, it is hard to stop.
Found one ring that has a beautiful purple (what kind of stone is that?), that looks very retro at the least, to maybe an old one.
Sterling, and quite ornate. I am in the progress of cleaning it up, really pretty. I will have to post pics when I am done with it. Found what has got to be the biggest, gawdiest, ring ever... Wish it was silver, but I am quite sure it is steel... Heavy, unbelievably heavy.. I thought Snooksion had the honor of the biggest, ugliest ring, but I have him beat..
Another ring, nearly gave me a heart attack... Silver, not tarnished at all, with a huge "diamond" in it. "Finally, my platinum score"... Banner ring for sure I thought!
Alas, it is stamped .925 and most likely, not diamonds.. But will still have them checked out, you never know... The big stone is over 2 carats I am sure..
Found my wife a really cool hair clip.. Metal, clean, and covered with fake diamonds.. Really pretty... Found a pendant that is "the Ten Commandments" on the front, then when you slide the front half away, the inside half of the pendant has all ten commandments written. Really cool.. Looks like sterling, but havent tested it yet.. The gold ring is 6.2 gm of 14k..
Havent counted the clad yet (I am WHOOPED), but probably in the $5 range..
Very nice day on the water, the weather couldnt have been any better.. Pretty flat too... Enjoy the pic's folks..

Attachments

• 10-02-10 finds trash.jpg
    10-02-10 finds trash.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 855
  • 10-02-10 finds a.jpg
    10-02-10 finds a.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 867
  • 10-02-10 finds b.jpg
    10-02-10 finds b.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 847
  • 10-02-10 finds pendant.jpg
    10-02-10 finds pendant.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 852
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 2.jpg
    10-02-10 finds ring 2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 844
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 2b.jpg
    10-02-10 finds ring 2b.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 832
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 3.jpg
    10-02-10 finds ring 3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 843
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 4.jpg
    10-02-10 finds ring 4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 842
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 1.jpg
    10-02-10 finds ring 1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 832
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mumszie said:
WOW You did good! I wish I had the sense to recognize areas like that. I read and read these posts but I just can't seem to read the beach. You did GOOD!
It's harder to do on the west coast... Since the water is usually not clear, just look at the waves... A "Hole" will be an area where the waves break earlier than the others (further out), and then you will usually see a smoother area of water right behind (towards shore) it... That is where there will be deeper water, which is usually a spot where sand has moved, opening up a "hole"... When you first hit the beach, find a high spot and just look up and down the beach. You will be surprised how fast you will start noticing differences in the waves/water...
Hope that helps...

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
SS,
Great finds, nice assortment.

Weren't you having problems with the tones on your Excal being off or something, whatever happened with that? Just curious

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TexasRT said:
SS,
Great finds, nice assortment.

Weren't you having problems with the tones on your Excal being off or something, whatever happened with that? Just curious
Just re-learned them.... Gold is no longer a deep tone, it is what I would call a mid-tone... Just slightly lower than what pennies are sounding off at.. Silver is the only tone that seems the same, very high.. More bottle caps sound good now than before..
I wasnt about to send it back for another 3 months waiting for them to fix it..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions