Another return... this one a Gold ring...

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
Well the only gold I found last night was returned......i was walking the beach with my detector last night when i heard " hey hey" and 2 people asked me to help find a bracelet for this person with 1 arm.......who that person was in the sand desperately looking for it.
I walked up and the 1 armed person asked if my machine will find gold and i said yes.
I took about 3 swings and found it .....but i found a ring!!! ......BUT THEN i said " i thought it was a bracelet.....the 1 armed guy said" no, a ring." white gold with diamonds..............i told them "your friends told me a bracelet"...but since he did say it was a white gold ring with diamonds before i took it out of my scoop what could i do? with about 6 people watching me trying to find it i pretty much had to give it to him. He said he would give me $20 but only had a $10 or $100 and asked me for change...yea..ok. ....
so i thanked him for the $10 and said that`ll pay for my gas to come here.

HAVE I BEEN HAD??? The 1 armed man also said it was his grandmother`s wedding band....this ring was large and could fit me and i`m sure it was a man`s ring and not his g`mas. He looked rather shocked when he saw the ring like he never saw it before....
oh,well i put it out of my mind and continued hunting happy with the 10 bucks.
Since it was dark and i don`t carry a camera i could not take any photos.

for the rest of the night i managed $6.09 clad , one smashed souvenier penny and 2 pairs of reading glasses...and a plastic gold bead which did make my detector go off...maybe foil coated..?? :tongue3:
my mom went with me and managed $3.73 clad and 1 earring...

Attachments

• 102_3194.JPG
    102_3194.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 557
Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What are the odds you would find a ring where he lost a bracelet. I am sure he was looking for the ring. The other two just messed it up. How many men where bracelets? You did a good dead.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BC NJ is probably right.

But you have to wonder, how does a one armed man lose a ring? It's not like he can take it off (no joke intended). :icon_scratch:

Syrena Hunter

Nov 30, 2004
Palm Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur-800
Cobra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, chalk it up as experience on both the find and a good deed. Good deeds always come back at'cha with intrest

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I make them give me a detailed description BEFORE I start hunting..... Only one time was I looking for something for somebody and found something else... It was NOT what they had described, but the young girl tried to claim it was hers.. I simply told her "that is not what you told me to look for, sorry, it's mine"... It wasnt anything of value, just a silver thin bangle bracelet, but she told me she lost a charm bracelet, and she actually found it a couple minutes after I found the bangle bracelet...
Maybe the guys grandma had "man hands"... LOL..
Just be sure to get that description BEFORE you start hunting for them.. That easily keeps people from jacking you around..

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ask before I start lookin...

D

digum smacks

my question is did you go back to look for the bracelet?

OP
OP
miket

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
snooksion2 said:
my question is did you go back to look for the bracelet?

Actually YES.. after everyone was gone I went over the area real good... :tongue3:

abeach01

May 9, 2010
USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXCALIBUR X10
Re:Been had before

Yes do ask for precise identification first before even looking. I went to a beach locally once and was asked right away to look for a ring lost in the dry sand that was far away from where this person was sitting but as always I do the right thing, well I found it right away and returned it. Just as I turned around they closed up their towels and ran for the car. Thinking to myself now that was odd. 20 minutes later a man and woman had came back with a ranger in tow. They asked if I could look for the ring they had lost in the sand, I said another one??? they then said what do you mean another one? I told them the story of the first lost one and they said NO WAY???? I said yes I did return the ring to the woman that lost it, she then interrupted me to yell out no you gave my ring to someone that tried to help me look for it but i guess assumed I left and would not return when I really only went to the ranger station to see if I could locate somone with a metal detector then when the ranger said he saw someone earlier at another beach on the lake we hurriedly checked there then returned here to see me there. They were absolutely heartbroken. How could someone steal my ring she asked???? I really felt bad but there was nothing I could do. I now require a written description of the ring lost and size or finger it was lost from along with markings inside if any. And name address phone number to follow up if found later.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. dont mess with that guys granma :o
abeach, your story really ticks me off!!!!!!! those people were pure scum!

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ring? Bracelet? maybe a few minutes before, they were smoking the "peace pipe" that Gator-Flea found at Treasure Island.... :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

At least you did something that you felt was right. If they took advantage of your kindness then they will be the ones to pay the consequences later. From my experience bad things seem to happen to those that.....

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion of this would be that... hey he told you he lost something and you hunted where he told you to hunt and you found something.
I think that although it's possible that you found someone Else's ring, I find it highly unlikely that it was anyone Else's but his...
The people standing around may or may not have heard what he said correctly, but I think considering the numbers of actually, really finding
a nice gold ring, I think it is a very long shot that it was not his...

That said, Years ago I was in Spain with my X-wife and we were walking on the beach in the Spring time, not many people, when a couple
came up to us and said they had lost a gold ring and could we help them find it...
I said sure why not right ?
But I said that I wanted to get a bigger machine from my car that had a bigger coil, to cover more ground, my car being 1/2 a mile away
but in sight of these people we left to get the other machine and return... they could watch us all they way, but when we returned..
They were gone... Nowhere to be seen...
So what do you think happened ???
were they lying to us ??

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Silver Surfer and Abeach01, great advice to get full description, identifiable markings and size of item asked to look for. I had not even thought about some of the sneaky situations that may arise such as the one described by abeach01. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I think the shocked look on his face was, "I can't believe you found it that easily, I have been searching for 30 minutes with my eyes!!!" .... We have all been asked a hundred times while we are detecting on the beach, "Do you ever find anything good?" I really think that most people are clueless that even though you can't see it with your eyes, the detector can look through the sand and see all the metal that lies below the sand. "No way!!!". "Ya, really!!!" ..... When they ask you to look for their lost item, they HOPE you can find it, but they don't really think you can.

As for the "Abeach01" story. They didn't really steal the ring from the woman who lost it, they stole it from Abeach01 in their eyes, and it wasn't his anyway..... "May they rot in ----!" I do ask for a description before I hunt for a lost item and am happy to return it to the rightful owner for nothing more than the pleasure of having found it. HH to ya'al. Ralph

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions