Started on a new scoop today...

tb

Mar 24, 2005
Gonna try a slightly different design this time and I'm going to try and find a sturdy stainless handle. The last scoop has an all steel handle and it is pretty heavy. Hopefully have her ready by tomorrow.

Attachments

• newscoop.JPG
    newscoop.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 508
  • newscoop2.JPG
    newscoop2.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 495
Upvote 0
L

LEO037

Can you sell me a scoop that you build.
Or teach me how to build one myself.
Thanks

OP
OP
T

tb

Mar 24, 2005
Leo,

There are several commercial makers/sellers of beach scoops online{Babb's scoops, Reilly's treasured gold, are a few, there are many more}. This project was simply experimental. I've access to a machine shop, with a metal roller, hydraulic hole punch, welding machine. So I was fortunate enough to do the hardest part of it all, rolling the stainless and punching the holes. All of the material came from a local scrapyard. I can tell you after making two scoops now, the commercial prices are reasonable even though they seem kind of high. There scoops are lighter {which is huge after you've been detecting a couple of hours and I'm sure they have a pretty good warranty}.

Thanks for asking and good luck,

tb

OP
OP
T

tb

Mar 24, 2005
Hey Cyn,

I saw on one of the other sites, someone had built their own scoop using pvc. Looks like they took a 5" or 6" diameter pvc pipe and cut it to shape and then drilled the appropiate sized holes. They used wire mesh for the back and the handle was wood. PVC should be pretty easy to work with, stainless steel is not so easy to work with.

normdiver

Greenie
May 1, 2006
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-cal
You can make them out of pvc but I dont think they would hold up well for a long handel beach scoop. I made a bunch of small ones for the metal detecting kids in my area for about 2.00 each, see photo.

Attachments

• scoop 2 001.jpg
    scoop 2 001.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 409

bajan

Greenie
Oct 31, 2004
Barbados
I made one using 4in PVC pipe and a pipe cap. I fitted it with a broomstick. It works really well in the dry sand. However in the wet it does not drain out the sand well. I guess it would depend on the coarse/fine makeup of the sand. My sand here is fine white coral.
Here are some pics of mine.Note the ss decking screw holding the stick in place.
Hope this will help.

Attachments

• base of scoop.jpg
    base of scoop.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 337
  • inside of scoop.JPG
    inside of scoop.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 387
  • back of scoop.jpg
    back of scoop.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 378

normdiver

Greenie
May 1, 2006
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-cal
That scoop looks great, The ones I made with pvc did ok in the dry sand also but didnt do so well in the wet sand, Ive bent stainless and aluminim stuff in that heavy wet sand, here are a few of the scoops ive made just to see how they do, the orange handel one does real well but the top is bending so I need to do a little work on that one.

Attachments

• new scoop 002.jpg
    new scoop 002.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 365
L

LEO037

You got a bunch of scoops.
Sell me one. Just one.
Norm sell me one $2 plus shipping, I will pay.
I am interested in trying many different scoops until one best fits my needs.
I currently don't have a scoop.
My scoop broke.

normdiver

Greenie
May 1, 2006
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-cal
Or you can use a french fry basket, it already has a nice handel on it, works for dry sand only, sorry, have two sons so we use 3 scoops now, the square one has to be used by robo man, its to big and heavy to lift, gonna re-do it sometime. alot of machine shops have scraps of pre-punched metal, pick a piece, have them put it into a roller and form the roll, maby 5 or 6 inches in diameter, then weld on a back and cut the extra off with a grinder, make a handel attachment point, mine bolts on and add the stick of your choice, use the grinder also to form the lip of the scoop, done, get an estimate from a shop on doing only what you cant do on your own, and see if friends can help with the rest, grinder, welder, etc., if the money seems like its gonna be to much, make the order and wait for the brown truck. Some machine shops dont have that I got to make all the money I can on someone. Tell them what you are trying to make and if some of the good guys, they will get interested in the project and help you out with it. Then later when its done and you have been out detecting for a while, stop buy and see the guy and show him some finds, good and bad. they usually get a kick out of it and you have now got a machine shop friend for later projects. sorry to be so long with this one.

L

LEO037

Ok thanks for the info.

Can you link me to good Scoops online. Who sells the best scoops.
Let me know, thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions